Haina: City of Poison

Nino224

Feb 9, 2009
Speaking of the environment, Haina: City of Poison is an independent documentary currently in production. For a trailer and full details please visit www.hainacityofpoison.com, then tell your friends about it. Gracias!!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Very interesting! I love documentaries, and it's great to see some issues in the DR being tackled. I can't wait to see the finished product and will be sure to tell others about it.

Chrisdogan

Nov 28, 2019
I know this is an old thread, but I've tried to find the actual documentary, and I can't seem to locate it. If anyone has any information about it, or an update, I would love to hear

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I also am certain that the film was never made ..Films about social injustices in this country have had a really tough run ever since the film about the horrors of working in the cane fields near la Romana and San Pedro was made and acclaimed. All sorts of legal action followed , the good priest in San Pedro who disclosed information was dismissed . As in another post,nothing really changes. I often wonder how such a beautiful country like the DR can be so evil !!

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro
Jan 9, 2004
I also am certain that the film was never made ..Films about social injustices in this country have had a really tough run ever since the film about the horrors of working in the cane fields near la Romana and San Pedro was made and acclaimed. All sorts of legal action followed , the good priest in San Pedro who disclosed information was dismissed . As in another post,nothing really changes. I often wonder how such a beautiful country like the DR can be so evil !!
In a word............................Money............................"Money Changes Everything."

Haina is the poster child for environmental poisoning and not just in the DR. It has been referred to as the Dominican Chernobyl.

But it is not the only incident in the DR where there was a confluence of toxic waste and money........witness the rock ash that was shipped into the DR from Puerto Rico and dumped on the north coast.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
That's with lead/ acid batteries that have been around for over 100 years. Just imagine the environmental disaster that is going to happen with the lithium ion batteries when they start to fail in big numbers.

Disaster is a understatement as a clean and effective recycling process has not been invented yet for lithium ion batteries.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This recycling plant is a couple of blocks from my place of business and has been around for years.

Also interesting to note Haina was once classified as the most toxic area of the world due to this plant.

The plant has done some cleanup since but nowhere near enough.