Haiti earthquake 2010

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In my Facebook memories today, up popped this gem from 11 years ago today:

“Experienced my first earthquake today - the chair I was sitting in at our house in Najayo Beach slid side-to-side for quite awhile and I got very dizzy. We packed and left for the capital and two of my husbands brothers called to tell us to get away from the beach because there's a tsunami alert. Scary!!”

Thankfully, there was no tsunami.

Were you in DR that day? Did you feel the quake?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was and barely felt it.

I was flying into the DR from California to liver here full time when a big one hit in 2003. My wife said the water sloshed out of our pool in Cabarete.
The owner of some resorts in Puerto Plata was sitting next to me on the plane and told me about it.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I was in Haiti but up north. We felt it for about 30 seconds. Longest one I ever went thru. The kids were very scared. Our building were built to USA standards and nothing happened. Lost communications for about 3 or 4 days and scared the shit out of friends and family back home.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I was sitting having a coffee at El Conde in Parque Colon. I was aware of a woman coming in and sitting behind me, I turned to say to the person I was with " this woman is a right pain in the ass shaking my seat and as we clocked eyes it stopped we were silent and shortly after there was a second shake and we said quake at the same time. Leaves were coming down off the big tree and everyone running and shouting that it was an old building. We just sat there in shock I think. But that building has survived a good few shakes, was the biggest and most intense I ever felt in Hispaniola. We felt motion sickness after it, because of the balance things in your ears being shook around

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
cabarete, was outside by pool. Felt nada. But my cat was freaking out 4 minutes prior. I was perplexed why our cat was running back & forth, with panic in eyes. 5 minutes later the pool had huge waves. Looked in deep end, nothing there, then realized big quake happened somewhere. The cat felt the quake minutes before, but I was ignorant to his warning

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I lived in Cambodia at the time but
visiting friends in Thailand the day it
happened. Was downstairs in my hotel
having breakfast and I remember seeing
images of the palace on tv that morning.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Yes I was in the DR on the south coast just outside of Santo Domingo. I remember two distinct shakes. My first thought was it was a small earthquake nearby. Many of the Haitians I knew / still know couldn't get in touch with their families for days.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We were having dinner..... we live up on a cliff... a rock cliff

Our friends living 'seaside' called to ask if we were ok...
What- do we need more wine? why are you asking?

They were at dinner too (Cabrera)... the house shook so badly they ran outside
The pool was sloshing....
Totally different than our 'feel nothing' experience.

I am told the Haiti situation isn't much better than a month after the 'quake.... to this day , not much monmey found its way to help the truly needy.
Any body able to comment on that?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We were having dinner..... we live up on a cliff... a rock cliff

Our friends living 'seaside' called to ask if we were ok...
What- do we need more wine? why are you asking?

They were at dinner too (Cabrera)... the house shook so badly they ran outside
The pool was sloshing....
Totally different than our 'feel nothing' experience.

I am told the Haiti situation isn't much better than a month after the 'quake.... to this day , not much monmey found its way to help the truly needy.
Any body able to comment on that?

Which is exactly why I will never donate to the Red Cross again. $6 Billion in the shit can.