Haiti is a failed state in irreversible decline

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
Hi.

I could give more negatives than positives on Haiti. I spend 6 mnths in Haiti amd 6 inmthe DR. I am isolated and secure in Haiti. However I have in depth community interactions.

I find it more Anarchy localy. It is democratic however as stated the money flows in debatable where spent.

There is a culture of lookng for donations NGO cash then exhauusting the money then moving on.

Lack of education as noted

A stable government is required which has not happened.

Just my thoughts!
You should think here more often. ;)

Yourmaninvegas

I am here to protect and serve
Feb 16, 2016
-
What within the realm of possibility could bring Haiti out of being a failed state, in say, the next 100 years?
"I have hope for Haiti, but that hope is not found in a French reparations payment for past wrongs. More than anywhere else, hope exists in environmental restoration and a healthy international credit. Give a nation aid and it will eat for a year, give a nation good credit, healthy ecology, and a strategic position next to the worlds wealthiest consumer economy and it could become the fastest and strongest economic miracle the world has ever seen."

Asked and answered

Go Haiti 🇭🇹

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
I've told this story before.

After the quake, a Haitian friend of mine (with money and a well-known family) submitted a project to build solar-powered cel phone charging stations with free charging to be placed all over the country.
The proof of concept functioned well - A solar panel mounted on a high post with an inverter and batteries in a steel enclosure with an array of outlets for chargers.
He opened a manufacturing facility at a considerable expense next door to me in our Free Zone, built about 20 (IIRC) and installed them in strategic locations in areas in the countryside where they were needed the most.
It was an excellent idea, and they were well received and functioned as they should.
When it came time to get paid for the first batch the problems started.
Long, long story short, he never got paid and the company went tits up.
When he finally threw in the towel, he visited the areas where they were installed, every one of them had a self-proclaimed "caretaker" who charged people to recharge their phones. Many of them insisted they were given the authority to do so.
And of course, hardly anyone had money to pay.
It was an expensive experiment for my friend.

Jan 9, 2004
I've told this story before.

After the quake, a Haitian friend of mine (with money and a well-known family) submitted a project to build solar-powered cel phone charging stations with free charging to be placed all over the country.
The proof of concept functioned well - A solar panel mounted on a high post with an inverter and batteries in a steel enclosure with an array of outlets for chargers.
He opened a manufacturing facility at a considerable expense next door to me in our Free Zone, built about 20 (IIRC) and installed them in strategic locations in areas in the countryside where they were needed the most.
It was an excellent idea, and they were well received and functioned as they should.
When it came time to get paid for the first batch the problems started.
Long, long story short, he never got paid and the company went tits up.
When he finally threw in the towel, he visited the areas where they were installed, every one of them had a self-proclaimed "caretaker" who charged people to recharge their phones. Many of them insisted they were given the authority to do so.
And of course, hardly anyone had money to pay.
It was an expensive experiment for my friend.

And if you study all the current failed state/schit hole countries of the world, they, like Haiti, share at least one common characteristic.

Not to worry, better times are ahead........2121 will be here before you know it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: rfp and Caonabo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"I have hope for Haiti, but that hope is not found in a French reparations payment for past wrongs. More than anywhere else, hope exists in environmental restoration and a healthy international credit. Give a nation aid and it will eat for a year, give a nation good credit, healthy ecology, and a strategic position next to the worlds wealthiest consumer economy and it could become the fastest and strongest economic miracle the world has ever seen."

Asked and answered

Go Haiti 🇭🇹
Something that is completely unrealistic and will never happen? That is your answer? That is not a good answer. How about something that could possibly happen? Rather than an answer that includes a fairy godmother to solve Haiti's issues. No country would provide such credit to Haiti.

If Haiti started now to educate their people properly, it would take generations to get out of the hole they are in by themselves. And Haiti is not starting on this path any time soon.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

Asked and answered

Go Haiti 🇭🇹

Credit is earned. It is not granted in hope's that the borrower will become a good credit risk. Haiti has to fix their own problems first. Only then can they join world economic stage.

Until then, it will only get worse there. They are well on their way to becoming another Somalia.

Reactions: Fulano2 and cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Credit is earned. It is not granted in hope's that the borrower will become a good credit risk. Haiti has to fix their own problems first. Only then can they join world economic stage.

Until then, it will only get worse there. They are well on their way to becoming another Somalia.
There are one, or maybe two people that don't see the truth in this.

Reactions: ctrob

Yourmaninvegas

I am here to protect and serve
Feb 16, 2016
-
Yes Haiti needs to fix their own problems first.
But before that can happen the International Community needs to exit stage right.
They are not helping ‼️
Yes, my answer.
There are those that think they can predict the future.
If that is the case why are they not rich❓
They state their personal opinions as if they were facts.
But they are not.
Because they do not know the definition of a fact.
Even after I put the definition into their 👁️ hole‼️

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Yes Haiti needs to fix their own problems first.
But before that can happen the International Community needs to exit stage right.
They are not helping ‼️
Yes, my answer.
There are those that think they can predict the future.
If that is the case why are they not rich❓
They state their personal opinions as if they were facts.
But they are not.
Because they do not know the definition of a fact.
Even after I put the definition into their 👁️ hole‼️
I dont see the international community involved in any tangible way. There are the NGOs and other groups interested in IG snapshots... as pathetic as they are they make better use of the funds from the international community than any Haitian groups.

Its a mess, nobody wishes ill on Haiti but people have had ties to this island for decades and have grown tired of Haiti and its never ending incompetence