Haiti is a threat to the Dom. Rep.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Watch this documentary if you want to understand the roots of the problem between both countries.

[video=youtube;RS3zqv9No5o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS3zqv9No5o[/video]

Unfortunately couldn't find an English version.

JJ

Aug 6, 2006
This is almost entirely about the ecological disaster that has resulted from burning down forests. especially in Haiti, to make cooking fuel. It says the rest of the world, not just the DR, needs to put forth more effort to supply gas and gas stoves to poor people who are cooking with charcoal.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Yes, thanks for The explanation to the English speaking readers.

The big concern of The Dominican people is that The deforestation by hands of Haitians already crossed The border.

They are burning our threes.

JJ

Last edited:

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013

The big concern of The Dominican people is that The deforestation by hands of Haitians already crossed The border.

I hope it doesn't spread further then the border regions. I love nature and it would be a pity to lose the green hills and forests. Their shady government need to invest in alternate cooking fuels. Utah alone have tremendous amount of natural gas.
Like it or not, but these two countries will merge and Dominican culture will slowly vanish.

Haiti is not only a threat to the dr, but a threat to the whole region. I met a couple from the the Bahamas and they don't want them there. In Miami they're not welcomed either because of crimes committed. I really don't see how Haiti can be fixed.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Haiti is always a threat to the DR, the only thing that changes is the nature of the threat. The duality of the island is something that Dominican authorities need to take into account in every decision that is made, lest they pretend it isn't a problem and then a much bigger problem arises as we are seeing now. A Dominican government that becomes so disinterested in border security is basically assisting Haiti with its expansionist tendencies.

Aug 6, 2006
Haiti is not trying to expand its territories, this is about Haitians cutting Dominican trees to make charcoal.

Apr 7, 2014

I hope it doesn't spread further then the border regions. I love nature and it would be a pity to lose the green hills and forests. Their shady government need to invest in alternate cooking fuels. Utah alone have tremendous amount of natural gas.
Like it or not, but these two countries will merge and Dominican culture will slowly vanish.

Haiti is not only a threat to the dr, but a threat to the whole region. I met a couple from the the Bahamas and they don't want them there. In Miami they're not welcomed either because of crimes committed. I really don't see how Haiti can be fixed.
Your sources sound suspect. I discredit them for anecdotal bias. And the rest is "Chicken Little" bllsht.

Dominicans dont respect the environment either. Drive from Santiago to Sosua and count out in seconds how frequently you see green patches of grass by the roadside not contaminated with litter.

Last edited by a moderator:

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
They have a new modality to destroy DR environment, I heard on a online radio station last Friday that Haitians are poisoning our rivers.

This happened last week in the Montecristi and Manzanillo areas...

Is this a new fishing technique used in Haiti?

JJ

Aug 6, 2006
I do not think that unarmed cane cutters are actually likely to annex anything. This is not more an annexation than what Mexican immigrants do in meat packing towns.

people in search of jobs are not an invasion force.

The Dominican government has the power to return them to Haiti. Whether it uses that power depends on the support they get from the people.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I do not think that unarmed cane cutters are actually likely to annex anything. This is not more an annexation than what Mexican immigrants do in meat packing towns.

people in search of jobs are not an invasion force.

The Dominican government has the power to return them to Haiti. Whether it uses that power depends on the support they get from the people.

There's a precedent on Haiti's using their peasants to annex Dominican land, though:

This used to be the border of the island pre-1929:

611bc363e7b8e5a2bb65a1748ac3e62f.jpg

After 1929:

dominrepMapa.gif

All due to the Haitian government's successful handling of the uti possidetis clause of international law, in which a piece of disputed land will go to the country that have the most inhabitants of it (possession is 9/10's of the law). All of it with Yankee blessing and backing.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Your sources sound suspect. I discredit them for anecdotal bias. And the rest is "Chicken Little" bllsht.

Dominicans dont respect the environment either. Drive from Santiago to Sosua and count out in seconds how frequently you see green patches of grass by the roadside not contaminated with litter.

there are Pictures taken from space that count and very different tale than this one you are telling...
haiti-dominican-border.jpg

Apr 7, 2014
They have a new modality to destroy DR environment, I heard on a online radio station last Friday that Haitians are poisoning our rivers.

This happened last week in the Montecristi and Manzanillo areas...

Is this a new fishing technique used in Haiti?

JJ
Sounds stupid to me. A fear mongering technique to rationalize lynching innocent people...but feeble minded people will do as they are told to do.

You should get a new source of information. I am absolutely sure Dominicans dont need to fear Haitians POISONING their rivers, Dominicans do an excellent job at that themselves. Walk by any river and observe the odors from the water and the amount of plastic bottles that are on the riverbanks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sounds stupid to me. A fear mongering technique to rationalize lynching innocent people...but feeble minded people will do as they are told to do.

You should get a new source of information. I am absolutely sure Dominicans dont need to fear Haitians POISONING their rivers, Dominicans do an excellent job at that themselves. Walk by any river and observe the odors from the water and the amount of plastic bottles that are on the riverbanks.

some people are not interested in accurate and verifiable sources of information. their minds are far more comfortble with the crap they are fed from sensation seekers and people looking to be heard. if somebody said that some Haitian shoeshine boys had a nuclear weapon in a suitcase, every Dominican would be hiding under a bed somewhere.