Haiti is on the brink of collapse

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I just heard from a Haitian who used to work where I live, and he wrote to me on Facebook asking for me to send him money to get back here to Puerto Plata area. He speaks English, Spanish and French as well as his own Creole. Apparently he wasn't much for working ort he'd still be here, but he is no dummy.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
unfortunately their only hope is to leave. Baby Doc and Popa Doc were gangsters but kept a certain amount of order.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The people have no place to go.

And I have a friend here in Philadelphia who tells me that her Haitian husband [who is traveling on his American passport] is stuck in Haiti and that it is next to impossible to get gasoline to travel to the DR to get home, even if he can get through the streets and the DR permits him to enter. I can't even imagine!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
In Boston where I live the Haitian community is making strides by leaps and bounds. Their kids don’t sass teachers. The parents work. The kids go to college and et degrees. They’ve bought up houses and turned previously Jewish, then African American neighborhoods into Haitian communities. It’s someth to see. Imagine. Equal opportunity. And they thrive. As is usual for immigrants outpacing native born.

I certainly applaud them. If the world had it's head screwed on straight that's how it's supposed to be when you immigrate to a new country. Not like we see now with liberal and social minded governments (Canada) standing in line to give freebies to everyone who can stick thier hand out.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yeah right..... my fault Haiti is where it is today....

Blame everything on the haitians, whom as you rightly pointed out earn a misery in the dr, instead of admitting that your own politicos are ripping you off. And on a scale that would make haitians seem pale in comparaison, no pun intended ;)

Sad truth.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have friends in Haiti that want me to help them get out. Unfortunately, even if I could help them with the tourist visa, they would not be able to work. They don't understand why.

To where are they trying to get a tourist visa? The US, for example, does not allow "help" with tourist visas, no letter of recommendation would help them since they are not even looked at if you write one. People don't seem to understand that you cannot sponsor a visitor to the US. I suppose you could pay for the visa application, but that would just be a waste of money.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
To where are they trying to get a tourist visa? The US, for example, does not allow "help" with tourist visas, no letter of recommendation would help them since they are not even looked at if you write one. People don't seem to understand that you cannot sponsor a visitor to the US. I suppose you could pay for the visa application, but that would just be a waste of money.

They are so desperate to get out they don't understand or at least don't want to. I agree with everything you said as it 100% matches my past experiences. However Haitians don't want to hear that. They want to go to the USA and get a job. It is so difficult to make them understand.