Haiti is out of control, all who can are leaving

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Haiti-caos-Listin-Diario-e1634222104831.png

The criminal gangs are in control, and kidnappings are the main industry. The situation has taken control of Port au Prince and Cap Haitien, reports Listin Diario. There is generalized insecurity, rampant unemployment, and scarcities. The wealthy that remain are requesting visas to live in the Dominican Republic, reports the Listin.

Read more in Spanish:Listin Diario

14 October 2021

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This has been an ongoing tragedy for years.
Sad that the wealthy western nations have not committed the resources needed to fix the country.

Interesting how the US has spent billions tryin to create democratic nations in places like Afghanistan but has ignored what is in their back yard.

The smart money saw the handwriting on the wall and left ages ago.
It is hard to watch this country slip deeper and deeper into sickness and despair.
About all the DR will be able to do is build a stronger border and gather up the illegals already here.

Reactions: aarhus

Big

Apr 24, 2019
as stated unless Papa Doc and the tonton macouts are reincarnated that place has yet to hit rock bottom

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Sad that the wealthy western nations have not committed the resources needed to fix the country.

Interesting how the US has spent billions tryin to create democratic nations in places like Afghanistan but has ignored what is in their back yard.

It is hard to watch this country slip deeper and deeper into sickness and despair.
About all the DR will be able to do is build a stronger border and gather up the illegals already here.
Yes the smart money..,...,.that would be France.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
as stated unless Papa Doc and the tonton macouts are reincarnated that place has yet to hit rock bottom
When Papa Doc died 50 years ago he took his extrajudicial assassins who terrorized the country with him.

You somehow think these thugs were a positive force needed now to slow the country's descent ?
You stating a thing does not in any way make it correct.
The TonTon Macoutes murdered between 30,000 and 60,000 people.
How is murder a positive force to slow anything ?
The families of the people who were murdered by the Duvaliers will not agree with your viewpoint.

The Duvaliers terrorized the country and were the epitome of evil.
The Dominican murderous counterpart Trujillo "only" managed to murder 20,000 Haitians during the Parsley Massacre.
Random murderous terror is never a solution.

Hopefully hell was on high when the Duvaliers and Trujillo came home.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
When Papa Doc died 50 years ago he took his extrajudicial assassins who terrorized the country with him.

You somehow think these thugs were a positive force needed now to slow the country's descent ?
You stating a thing does not in any way make it correct.
The TonTon Macoutes murdered between 30,000 and 60,000 people.
How is murder a positive force to slow anything ?
The families of the people who were murdered by the Duvaliers will not agree with your viewpoint.

The Duvaliers terrorized the country and were the epitome of evil.
The Dominican murderous counterpart Trujillo "only" managed to murder 20,000 Haitians during the Parsley Massacre.
Random murderous terror is never a solution.

Hopefully hell was on high when the Duvaliers and Trujillo came home.
thanks for the history lesson. I am surprised you didn't lecture me on the impossibility of reincarnation. Let me make it easy on you. Haiti is a doomed state with no hope.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
Haiti was never in control. It is a sad commentary that a sovereign nation is entirely engulfed by criminals. When the United Nations pulls out you know it's bad. I don't know if there is a solution that will be humane.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The worry aspect is the increasing control of gangs in Haiti. Eventually, the entire country will be under their control if nothing is done to stop this now. The DR only has two options. One, fortify and tighten border vigilance and control to prevent these gangs from spreading into the DR. Two, accept that it can't control the border and the DR will be swallowed by them. These Haitian gangs can make serious money for their leaders by controlling Santo Domingo and Santiago more than controlling all of Haiti. The rise of Haitian gangs in the DR means the death of tourism in Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete, Punta Cana/Bavaro, Las Terrenas and other places. Can also count the demise of the expat presence in the DR (could spell the end for DR1, I think this is a for profit company.) But at least the leaders of these gangs will become filthy rich.

Reactions: Auryn

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The worry aspect is the increasing control of gangs in Haiti. Eventually, the entire country will be under their control if nothing is done to stop this now. The DR only has two options. One, fortify and tighten border vigilance and control to prevent these gangs from spreading into the DR. Two, accept that it can't control the border and the DR will be swallowed by them. These Haitian gangs can make serious money for their leaders by controlling Santo Domingo and Santiago more than controlling all of Haiti. The rise of Haitian gangs in the DR means the death of tourism in Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete, Punta Cana/Bavaro, Las Terrenas and other places. Can also count the demise of the expat presence in the DR (could spell the end for DR1, I think this is a for profit company.) But at least the leaders of these gangs will become filthy rich.
So your worst case scenario has not happened yet. If this was happening I would not renew my DR recidencia.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The DR closely monitors events in Haiti and I cannot imagine there will be anything but a much tighter border in the future to stop what you describe from happening.

If Haiti were to become a home base for terror organizations like Al Quaida it will get US attention and fast.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002

About all the DR will be able to do is build a stronger border and gather up the illegals already here

The only chance of any turnaround for the country of Haiti is to regain security for it's citizens, businesses, and institutions. A solution has to be found to rid the country of vicious gangs that has instilled fear in every citizen of being beaten, robbed, stabbed, shot, kidnapped or murdered, walking anywhere from point A to B or society can't function. It is a descent into anarchy in which the functionality of the entire country will be destroyed. So, does the U.S. and other wealthy and powerful countries allow this to happen. You can bet the U.S. would do something if the Russians said, "Ya know, we're going to go into Haiti, straighten it up and take over." You can be damn sure the U.S. would be doing something then.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

After the earthquake the US gave 5.1 Billon dollars to Haiti. Check with Wikipedia to see just how much the US has given to Haiti over the years! I assure you it is a lot. The crooked politicians pretty much stole all that $$$ and never fixed anything. Plenty of countries have tried to help but the money always goes missing. Sad but true.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The only chance of any turnaround for the country of Haiti is to regain security for it's citizens, businesses, and institutions. A solution has to be found to rid the country of vicious gangs that has instilled fear in every citizen of being beaten, robbed, stabbed, shot, kidnapped or murdered, walking anywhere from point A to B or society can't function. It is a descent into anarchy in which the functionality of the entire country will be destroyed. So, does the U.S. and other wealthy and powerful countries allow this to happen. You can bet the U.S. would do something if the Russians said, "Ya know, we're going to go into Haiti, straighten it up and take over." You can be damn sure the U.S. would be doing something then.
Not sure the communist Chinese, want Haiti..........

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
After the earthquake the US gave 5.1 Billon dollars to Haiti. Check with Wikipedia to see just how much the US has given to Haiti over the years! I assure you it is a lot. The crooked politicians pretty much stole all that $$$ and never fixed anything. Plenty of countries have tried to help but the money always goes missing. Sad but true.
I think this post may get deleted. Seems it’s a touchy topic

Reactions: dulce

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Touchy subject indeed.......But with what seems to be several million already here, and more coming....we will all have many to ask questions to...I talked to 3 this morning at my gym, very interesting.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Touchy subject indeed.......But with what seems to be several million already here, and more coming....we will all have many to ask questions to...I talked to 3 this morning at my gym, very interesting.
Touchy was the issue of what happened to all the funds donated.

So what are they saying? Haiti must just be without any governance almost.