Haiti levies US$800 inspection charge on Dominican freight trucks

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Camiones-en-la-frontera-Listin-Diario-e1603983546670.jpeg

The Dominican Association of Exporters (Adoexpo) says that Haitian authorities are levying a new charge of US$800 to verify freight trucks that pass through their customs from the Dominican Republic. Adoexpo said the charge is exorbitant. The DR exported US$536 million by land to Haiti from January to September 2020.

The president of Adoexpo, Elizabeth Mena called on the Ministry of Foreign Relations, the government export agency ProDominicana, the Customs Agency (DGA), and the Tax Agency (DGII) to help find a fair solution to this new Haitian government measure. Mena said the charge is a hard blow to the competitiveness of the country.

Meanwhile, Adoexpo executive vice president, Odile Miniño Bogaert explained the charge corresponds to the FOB value and has to be paid to the SGS Company, contracted for these purposes. Since the charge is made outside...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Presumably this charge will be passed on to Haitian buyers so it will be Haitians who suffer. I doubt it will damage the competitiveness of Dominican goods compared to those from other countries.

Reactions: CristoRey

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think drstock is right. It will be passed on to the end user. Not really a problem here.
The corrupt Haitian government needs to screw someone over for some christmas cash.
Build a wall.

Reactions: CDNBear