Haiti News and Politics

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Do we have this in English? So I can Tweet it out?
(As an aside - this young man is doing his work as a blog -- he contacted me to ask how he could write for my outlet - IPS?

I explained that they have a very specific mandate - only writing about the environment, women, development - not really about breaking news. BUT they do not have ANYONE in Haiti now and would be VERY lucky to have him.... SO - I suggested that he write a piece on how the chaos was affecting women - and that he had to have at least two direct quote - best one from a victim and one from an authority... and some facts, if possible. And 900 words EXACTLY.. and that I would go over the piece first and do some light editing and then send it on to IPS with a reference. IPS has a huge team of translators. My articles were translated into 5 languages. Here is the one that I filed from PauP on kidnapping back in 2008 - which gives you an idea of how long this has been going on.... http://www.ipsnews.net/2008/06/haiti-kidnappings-rise-as-economic-woes-deepen/

I lost SO much money getting that story!Was in an Internet cafe reading about the protest that was going to happen and thought - WOW -"They ought to send someone to cover that" and realized that I was the only one "they" had! It would have been worth it for the experience and the contacts and the adventure but I still kick myself for leaving my Swiss Army knife in my pocket so it was confiscated (although the guy at the airport DID get a REALLY Great knife -- Lucky that a Haitian journalist that I had bought dinner for and given some $$ to drove me to the airport since you had to pay to tax in Gourd before you left and I had only Dominican pesos... no Yankee dollars)

Reactions: NanSanPedro

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
OMG! GOOD NEWS

GOOD FOR YOU!! DR!!! GOOD FOR YOU

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I am trying to find out the actual destination? since the fuel terminal in Port Au Prince was/is blocked?
Have asked the Haiti correspondent but suspect that there might be more info from the DR press?
If anyone could find that - it would help this kid write a Really Good Story
And Get a Really GOOD international Job!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Perhaps they were just going from hospital to hospital?
Perhaps only the name/contact info for the company in the DR that had the contract?
Then I could write to them in English...
My young friend -- (actually I have no idea how old he is--
Understands English --
and speaks French.,

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Immagration news from a Haitian perspective:

About 5,000 Haitians expelled from the Dominican Republic in just one week

The situation of Haitians in neighboring land has been very complicated for ages because of the poverty and high cost of living in the country. With the insecurity that has multiplied exponentially, more Haitians are crossing the Dominican territory, more illegally. Over 5,000 Haitians were deported in the space of a week due to their irregular status.

Palmis Enfo, October 27, 2022- There are more than 5,000 deportees returning to the national territory from Dominicania for the period from October 17 to 24, 2022. According to the Dominican newspaper Listin Diario, in just the space of one week 5,248 Haitians were arrested and subsequently deported.

It became practically filming scenes, the arrests of illegal Haitians in the Dominican Republic. Videos, always viral on social networks, can testify to the mistreatment suffered by Haitians in the neighboring republic. Their arrests are always violent. Since the tact-to-tact sessions of former Prime Minister Claude Joseph and Dominican President Luis Abinader, inhuman acts continue to outrage more than one.

Pregnant women were deported no matter what situation they were in. A fierce fight against the Haitians has been launched. The construction of a border wall delimiting the two territories is still relevant.

The government for its part has no words to say. The situation, it seems, seems comfortable to him. Nothing is being done to improve the situation in the country so that her daughters and sons can live there peacefully.

Ted L. Michel

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I am trying to find out the actual destination? since the fuel terminal in Port Au Prince was/is blocked?
Have asked the Haiti correspondent but suspect that there might be more info from the DR press?
If anyone could find that - it would help this kid write a Really Good Story
And Get a Really GOOD international Job!!

He has got it,,, he speaks Spanish at the 70% level and has contacts in the DR press so he has got it from here,.,.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
It wil start though.,, I mean the international attention to the DR... They can't keep deporting..
Sure - they can cut off trade - but that trade is more important to the DR than to Haiti
which is now locked

but the deportations are gonna reflect badly in the International press and
someone in NYC is bound to pick up the news

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
https://www.lemiroirinfo.ca/eric-jean-baptiste-tue-par-balles-en-haiti/

Translated from French by Google:

Eric Jean Baptiste shot dead in Haiti"
Writing October 29, 2022

Former presidential candidate of Haiti and Secretary General of the Rally of National Progressive Democrats (RDNP), Eric Jean Baptiste was shot dead Friday, October 28, 2022 in the evening on the road leading to his home in Laboule 12.

Port-au-Prince,https://www.lemiroirinfo.ca, Saturday 29 October 2022

This information was confirmed by Le Nouvelliste with the party's spokesman, Ricardo Nordin, and another source close to the victim. The attack occurred a few meters from the Jane Barbancourt building, now Château Ternier.

"Heavily armed men riddled the vehicle in which he was travelling near Laboule with bullets. His security guard died at the scene. Eric Jean Baptiste was taken to hospital. But he didn't survive," the spokesman said in tears.

Laboule 12, an affluent neighborhood of Pétion-Ville, has been the scene of violent crime, killings and kidnappings for several months. This area is controlled by the gang led by Carlo Petit-Homme, alias Ti Makak.

This armed group had been linked in the assassination of the director general of the state organization Public Company for the Promotion of Social Housing (EPPLS) and former senator Yvon Buissereth, killed and burned in his vehicle last August with his driver. Several police officers were killed in the same area after clashes with gang members.

Two groups clash in the area against a backdrop of land conflict. One is linked to a businessman, a large landowner, Monsanto Petit dit Toto and the other is led by Ti Makak a young man born in the district of Laboule 12, a huge territory that connects Port-au-Prince, Carrefour and the heights of Pétion-Ville.

Éric Jean Baptiste had already escaped an assassination attempt on October 1, 2018. At the time, he was taking his 3 children to school when his car had been the target of several projectiles of unknown origin at Carrefour Feuilles.

Also a businessman, Éric Jean Baptiste has distinguished himself as a patron through the Foundation that bears his name. He helped schools, universities and little people.

Slayer of UN peacekeepers after the introduction of cholera in Haiti by Nepalese soldiers, he had announced that the Eric Jean Baptiste Foundation would allocate an envelope of 57 million gourdes to fight COVID-19 in Haiti.

For years, the businessman, who ran a chain of lottery stalls (borlette), traveled the country distributing masks and promoting handwashing just as he distinguished himself in helping the victims of the natural disasters that hit the country.

I have never heard of him, but he does sound like one of the few good guys.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have seen the following WhatsApp statuses on 2 mid 20s guys I am friends with in Haiti. Coincidentally, they're both named TiBlan.

Èske nou serye?
No electricity, no paved road, no food people are starving every day ❌, internet service is barely good, schools' doors are closed❌, insecurity..
We're experiencing hell

Eske nou serye means are you serious?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I have seen almost the same rhetoric on a couple of different videos -- along with lots of Russian flags -- (and a few Chinese ones) and can't help but wonder WHERE they are coming from?? (good to remember that there are at least two teams on the field -- while the Cocaine Kings watch from the bleachers )

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It wil start though.,, I mean the international attention to the DR... They can't keep deporting..
Sure - they can cut off trade - but that trade is more important to the DR than to Haiti
which is now locked

but the deportations are gonna reflect badly in the International press and
someone in NYC is bound to pick up the news
I disagree. I think all illegals should be deported regardless of country of origin. Treat all illegal aliens the same and the international community can pound salt.