Haiti News and Politics

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
#Haitians are calling for the resignation of #ArielHenri
And installation of an interim government
to help establish a new CEP (electoral council)
to distribute new identity cards
and conduct elections
(On which the international community insists)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Henry

now the defacto "leader" has zero credibility
having essentially
abolished the rest of the government
Personal details
Minister of Interior and Territorial Communities
Minister of Social Affairs and Labor
Acting Prime Minister of Haiti
Acting President of Haiti
Ariel Henry
Ariel Henry conference (cropped).jpg
Henry in 2021
Incumbent
Assumed office
20 July 2021
Prime MinisterHimself (acting)
Preceded byClaude Joseph (acting)
Incumbent
Assumed office
20 July 2021
PresidentHimself (acting)
Preceded byClaude Joseph (acting)
In office
11 September 2015[1] – 28 March 2016
Prime MinisterEvans Paul
Fritz Jean
Preceded byVictor Benoît[1]
Succeeded byJean René Antoine Nicolas[2]
In office
22 January 2015 – 11 September 2015
Prime MinisterEvans Paul
Preceded byRéginald Delva
Succeeded byArdouin Zéphirin[1]
Born6 November 1949 (age 72)
Political partyIndependent
Other political
affiliations
Inite
Fusion of Haitian Social Democrats
Haitian Revolutionary Progressive Nationalist Party
Social Democratic Party
Convergence Démocratique
Spouse(s)Annie Claude Massiau
EducationUniversity of Montpellier (BS)
Loma Linda University (MPH)
Ariel Henry (French pronunciation: [aʁjɛl ɑ̃ʁi]; born 6 November 1949) is a Haitian neurosurgeon and politician who has served as the acting prime minister of Haiti and the acting president of Haiti since 20 July 2021.[3][4][5][6][7] He later became involved in a controversy due to his refusal to cooperate with the authorities over his links with Joseph Felix Badio, one of the suspects accused of orchestrating the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse on 7 July 2021.[8] Officers who investigated the case suspected Henry was involved with planning the assassination.[9][10]

stateofmind

Aug 8, 2022
U.S.A.
https://infinite.mit.edu/video/noam-chomsky-paul-farmer-“-uses-haiti-mit-technology-and-culture-forum-2222002

Chomsky and Farmer were both supporters of #Aristide

At the end - the gov't of Aristide turned into a Narco State

But - for those who are interested ----

Haiti did NOT get poor all by itself...

start at minute 40
Aristide was the first democratically-elected president and won by 67%. The majority approved. It is their country, after all. What right did anyone else have to jump in and change that? Is Haiti not entitled to succeed or fail on their own? I thought it was called self-determination. As far as narco states go, the U.S. is #8 on the list of most addicted countries. Our drug of choice is prescription pills. Big Pharma is our dealer.

Reactions: JD Jones

stateofmind

Aug 8, 2022
U.S.A.
If only there were LOTS and LOTS of free schools in Haiti
which there are not

And TEACHERS - as many of the really competent Haitians have left - and MANY are in the DR-
By a show of hands the attendees indicated that all of them had more than 10 years of formal education. All could speak and write both Kreyol and French, 14 could also read and write in Spanish and five were fluent in English as well. Yet only one had the "cedula", the identity card proving his legal residency here and giving him the legal right to work in the Dominican Republic. https://www.ipsnews.net/2009/03/haiti-dominican-republic-solace-in-solidarity/
How much education does it take to teach kids that it's wrong to lie, cheat and steal?

stateofmind

Aug 8, 2022
U.S.A.
That name is so familiar to me but I'm so old I can't remember why.
Dr. Paul Farmer was a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School who co-founded the nonprofit organization Partners In Health in 1987. The group’s mission is to provide proper medical care for impoverished people around the globe. They started in Haiti and then expanded into other areas in Africa, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. Dr. Farmer was instrumental in bringing important HIV medication to Haiti. He started hospitals in Haiti and Rwanda and was teaching at a medical school he helped start in Rwanda at the time of his passing.

He was in Haiti for many years.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Dr. Paul Farmer was a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School who co-founded the nonprofit organization Partners In Health in 1987. The group’s mission is to provide proper medical care for impoverished people around the globe. They started in Haiti and then expanded into other areas in Africa, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. Dr. Farmer was instrumental in bringing important HIV medication to Haiti. He started hospitals in Haiti and Rwanda and was teaching at a medical school he helped start in Rwanda at the time of his passing.

He was in Haiti for many years.
Thanks for posting. I didn't realize he was dead but I do know that I heard a great deal about him 10 or 12 years ago. Perchance, are you familiar with the lady peanut butter doctor from St. Louis?

stateofmind

Aug 8, 2022
U.S.A.
Thanks for posting. I didn't realize he was dead but I do know that I heard a great deal about him 10 or 12 years ago. Perchance, are you familiar with the lady peanut butter doctor from St. Louis?

Reactions: mountainannie

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Good advice that the U.S. will ignore.
The current situation is dire. More than 1.1 million people in Haiti live in areas controlled by gangs, which are often funded by predatory political actors to advance their own objectives and wreaking havoc on law and order. Corruption fueled the most recent wave of nationwide protests in 2019 and continues to plague the political landscape. Democratic institutions have crumbled: After last year’s presidential assassination, Haiti has been in the grips of a constitutional crisis for nearly a year. Both the legislature and the judiciary are defunct, and the interim Prime Minister has failed to fill the vacuum.

These are long-term, complex challenges which the GFA could help address—but it must be fully funded and implemented in order to provide the support that local partners need to stabilize the country’s security environment and foster trust in Haiti’s government institutions. The country plan to address Haiti’s governance deficits and promote stability should be developed in close coordination with local partners and should consider four core components.-- Quote

The US is not ignoring anything in #Haiti. But the request for "more funding" is not going to go anywhere. If foreign funding was an answer - Haiti would have been on her feet long ago,

Reactions: NanSanPedro

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Aristide was the first democratically-elected president and won by 67%. The majority approved. It is their country, after all. What right did anyone else have to jump in and change that? Is Haiti not entitled to succeed or fail on their own? I thought it was called self-determination. As far as narco states go, the U.S. is #8 on the list of most addicted countries. Our drug of choice is prescription pills. Big Pharma is our dealer.
Aristide actually had more support from the USLeft than in Haiti. at the end... he stole the money from the taxes on telephones

and
http://elizabetheames.blogspot.com/2007/07/aristides-gang-of-drug-dealers.html