Haiti News and Politics

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Haiti has long been referred to as "the Republic of NGOs" (non-governmental organizations) - the international AID organizations are the BEST places for any college educated Haitian to work - best salaries....benefits... etc..

One might ask WHY the World Food Program HAD a warehouse full of food?
Or how $6 million worth of "Aid" could be destroyed?
And How Much Money the Folks at the World Food Program earn?

https://untalent.org/contract/p-3/in-haiti

• Love
Reactions: NanSanPedro

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Interesting perspective. I just showed this to my kid and he says they're all stupid. I don't agree but I like hearing what he has to say.
I think that they are all desperate
Over on Twitter I am in "conversation:" with about 100 folks that I do not actually KNOW
but
Now
I have the attention (am followed by)
of the editor of the Haitian Times in NYC
and the head of Haitian Studies at the City University of NY
(my alma mater)
so.
some progress
(one of my Haitian contacts blames the USA for EVERYTHING - I know this particular take!)
(as in I am up at 5 AM and it is now about 10 and I have been at this since I got up)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Dare I say it -

BREAKING NEWS
QUOTE https://www.justsecurity.org/82968/...s-should-aid-efforts-to-build-true-democracy/
The Montana group has since expanded to include two powerful political alliances, including that of the president of the Senate. The group has elected a president and prime minister, a kind of legislature, and an oversight body.

At times, U.S. officials have acknowledged how crucial the Montana structure is for Haiti’s government to restore legitimacy. Brian Nichols, the assistant secretary of state for Western Hemisphere Affairs, who handles U.S. policy in Haiti, has encouraged negotiations between Montana Accord members and Henry on a consensus path forward. Such negotiations are built into the plan laid out by the Montana Accord [Annex 1, Article 4].

Henry Refuses Checks on Power

But negotiations broke down on Aug. 2, when Henry’s negotiating team and Henry himself refused to discuss terms for a transitional government that would include checks on his power and a return to three branches of government. That is what’s different now, and what makes this moment so critical for Haiti’s chances for democracy and stability. Henry must not be allowed to use his support from the international community to continue to concentrate all powers under his exclusive — and failing — leadership.
We now have a Very Interesting LIST posted by one of the Montana group...
of those who have "contracts" with the "Presidency"

So everyone is now
getting busy in decoding who these people are?
What are their CVs?
How much they are making?
What are they supposed to be doing?
Have they DONE anything?

I told Monique (Who has been on MSNBC here) that I was looking forward to watching them decode WHO had STOLEN their Country from them..

which
I am confident they will

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
They are even marching in Okap - which was the only safe entry port of the internationals -- I tagged onto a post from the former ambassador - Dan Foote (who resigned) - which he was sending to the PM - Henry
Suggesting that the PM might want to chose his country of exile?
Since his own people were coming for him.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Dare I say it -

BREAKING NEWS
QUOTE https://www.justsecurity.org/82968/...s-should-aid-efforts-to-build-true-democracy/
The Montana group has since expanded to include two powerful political alliances, including that of the president of the Senate. The group has elected a president and prime minister, a kind of legislature, and an oversight body.

At times, U.S. officials have acknowledged how crucial the Montana structure is for Haiti’s government to restore legitimacy. Brian Nichols, the assistant secretary of state for Western Hemisphere Affairs, who handles U.S. policy in Haiti, has encouraged negotiations between Montana Accord members and Henry on a consensus path forward. Such negotiations are built into the plan laid out by the Montana Accord [Annex 1, Article 4].

Henry Refuses Checks on Power

But negotiations broke down on Aug. 2, when Henry’s negotiating team and Henry himself refused to discuss terms for a transitional government that would include checks on his power and a return to three branches of government. That is what’s different now, and what makes this moment so critical for Haiti’s chances for democracy and stability. Henry must not be allowed to use his support from the international community to continue to concentrate all powers under his exclusive — and failing — leadership.
I suspect we are going to see this pretty soon.....
Once Henry goes into exile
Which
I think he will do pretty soon
There is reportedly smoke coming from the area around the palace
And the crowds are after HIM
there are Not Enough Police to protect him
He might be able to get to the DR
And perhaps the DR might help him get ELSEWHERE
But
It would certainly not be a good idea for him to stay
ANYWHERE in this hemisphere.

Reactions: JD Jones

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

Haiti has long been referred to as "the Republic of NGOs" (non-governmental organizations) - the international AID organizations are the BEST places for any college educated Haitian to work - best salaries....benefits... etc..

One might ask WHY the World Food Program HAD a warehouse full of food?
Or how $6 million worth of "Aid" could be destroyed?
And How Much Money the Folks at the World Food Program earn?

https://untalent.org/contract/p-3/in-haiti
The Trump Administration stopped paying the assessment to the UN so the US is behind by $2billion
Evidently members of the #UNGA have said that the "government" of Haiti needs to come back with a "plan" for "elections" by October 17th
(I and about 15 million other people are doubled over with laughter - since there is no electoral council, no election cards, no polling places, no valid elected officers in place, no valid governenment, no money for elections)
#Norway - in particular - is asking for elections.. and Norway - which has SUCH a great reputation for its international generosity - and gets all its money by from taking its oil and investing the money in the Stock Market to pay for its ample social benefits and STILL HUNTS WHALES--
OUGHT to KNOW BETTER
And can put up their own money and personnel to supervise it......

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Reactions: mountainannie

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is in today's (Sept 29, 2022) Listín Diario newspaper. Doesn't have to do with Haiti per se, but to create a thread just for this is too much, IMO.

Haitian Rony Saint-Vil wins the Dominican lottery for the second time (yes, normal people can win the DR lottery). There he is getting the check for RD$19 million (about US$356,000). It may not make him a millionaire in dollars, but what expat would say no to receiving over US$350,000? Lucky guy. He bought the ticket at a colmado in Santo Domingo.

7854AA9D-5180-4C16-AB5F-F3F69D1B7412.jpeg

Hmm, I wonder if any expat has ever won the Dominican lottery? Do expats even play?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Another article from today's Listín Diario.

US Embassy: Americans don't go to Haiti and those in the country must leave now. The US Embassy will not be able to assist any American in need in Haiti.

F7053AC8-C5EE-42D6-B223-CDF23084CB18.jpeg

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas