Haiti News and Politics

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
According to some channels, he, Martelly and Latortue may be some of the parties bankrolling the gangs currently making a mess there.
There are also those that say #BBQ works directly for Henry.... who knows?? -- this may be an effort to chop off the lower gangs??

I can only hope that there are folks in the CORE group who know pretty much what is what and who is who. BUT I DOUBT IT. The UN SRSG for MINUSTAH now directly answers MY tweets --And she wrote the article for the Council of Foreign Relations -https://fordschool.umich.edu/news/2022/page-calls-us-redefine-relationship-haiti. So I am at the very least in the main ballroom.

Reports are that there will be almost 800 sanctions when the list is final. The pressure on the DR to stop the mass deportations is - as you can see - pretty intense -- with the warnings to tourists and the halt of the importation of sugar - which is the DR's main crop! No issue with stopping more Haitians from entering - but the majority of Haitians being deported were living/working quite peacefully in the DR before so the DR is only making things much worse -- all the while calling on other nations to help solve the issues in Haiti - Which Are Enormous.

The entire government somehow must be reconstituted... HOW is that going to be done? Elections seem impossible. Appointments? How will the NEXT group of upcoming politicians not be (come) as corrupt at the last ones?

I am sure that the sugar sanctions will be removed as soon as the pace of deportations slows.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
There are also those that say #BBQ works directly for Henry.... who knows?? -- this may be an effort to chop off the lower gangs??

I can only hope that there are folks in the CORE group who know pretty much what is what and who is who. BUT I DOUBT IT. The UN SRSG for MINUSTAH now directly answers MY tweets --And she wrote the article for the Council of Foreign Relations -https://fordschool.umich.edu/news/2022/page-calls-us-redefine-relationship-haiti. So I am at the very least in the main ballroom.

Reports are that there will be almost 800 sanctions when the list is final. The pressure on the DR to stop the mass deportations is - as you can see - pretty intense -- with the warnings to tourists and the halt of the importation of sugar - which is the DR's main crop! No issue with stopping more Haitians from entering - but the majority of Haitians being deported were living/working quite peacefully in the DR before so the DR is only making things much worse -- all the while calling on other nations to help solve the issues in Haiti - Which Are Enormous.

The entire government somehow must be reconstituted... HOW is that going to be done? Elections seem impossible. Appointments? How will the NEXT group of upcoming politicians not be (come) as corrupt at the last ones?

I am sure that the sugar sanctions will be removed as soon as the pace of deportations slows.
Yeah, but notice how they only targeted Central Romana products. If they would have wanted to do real damage, they would have gotten the Vicini holdings too into the package. It may be that the Fanjuls could be on hot waters over there in the States for all we know.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Living and working peacefully, but illegally.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Yeah, but notice how they only targeted Central Romana products. If they would have wanted to do real damage, they would have gotten the Vicini holdings too into the package. It may be that the Fanjuls could be on hot waters over there in the States for all we know.
The Fanjuls are American citizens - they give HUGE political donations - so this sanction really Means Business. The Vincinis are Dominicans - so this is really about the behavior of AMERICANS

Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I just witnessed the most chicken shit thing I've seen in my life. I was coming back from San Isidro to BC on the guagua. Paid my 75 pesos. 1km later we stop and a Haitian dude gets on and sits next to me. We start talking a bit. So the cobrador comes and of course collects his money. Except that he didn't give him 25 pesos change for his 100 peso note. My seat mate asks for his change and I couldn't understand it, but the cobrador said no and wouldn't give him his 25 effing pesos. How incredibly chicken shit. So I gave my seat mate 200 pesos as he got off. I was pissed. Haitians have enough problems without people trying to screw them out of 25 stupid pesos.

As an aside, while I didn't see any papers, my seatmate claimed to have some and also told me he got locked up, and then later released.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I just witnessed the most chicken shit thing I've seen in my life. I was coming back from San Isidro to BC on the guagua. Paid my 75 pesos. 1km later we stop and a Haitian dude gets on and sits next to me. We start talking a bit. So the cobrador comes and of course collects his money. Except that he didn't give him 25 pesos change for his 100 peso note. My seat mate asks for his change and I couldn't understand it, but the cobrador said no and wouldn't give him his 25 effing pesos. How incredibly chicken shit. So I gave my seat mate 200 pesos as he got off. I was pissed. Haitians have enough problems without people trying to screw them out of 25 stupid pesos.

As an aside, while I didn't see any papers, my seatmate claimed to have some and also told me he got locked up, and then later released.
Chichen$hit : its not just Dominicans doing this $hit.. A Haitian acquaintance was hassled recently by a Chinese worker in a Chino store. Wanted to know why they were even in the store, if they had money to buy anything and pretty much told them to leave. They had more than enough money to buy lots of the cheap $hit being sold there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Living and working peacefully, but illegally.
That's the case of most Haitians living in the DR, even the ones that went through the regularization plan from a few years ago. The main problem was that to keep their regularized status, they needed to renew and the vast majority didn't. Not renewing meant returning to illegality. I assume that the Haitians that regularized during the regularization plan kept their papers that implies they are legal in the country even though most of those papers are now void due to not renewing.

The same yearly renewance is applied to the Venezuelans that regularized in later years as the government put a regulrization plan just for them. It will be interesting to see how many of the regularized Venezuelans renew and doesn't relegade to illegal status.

The declaration about how most Haitians that regularized during the regularization plan became illegal again by not renewing is said multiple times in multiple interviews by the former Director of Migración, Enríque García. Here is one of those, this one from July 29, 2021. Unfortunately for most DR1ers since they don't know Spanish except a few words such as "una cerveza por favor" (and many not even that), this is in Spanish only and the subtitles can be activated, but from what I can tell they too are available in Spanish only.

3:16 - 5:08

If this is the case, that almost all Haitians in the DR are illegal for not renewing the papers they received during the regularization plan, DR1ers are implying that Migración and other authorities when presented these papers by Haitians, to pretend those papers are legal even though they are seeing the papers are expired and void?

By the way, until very recently even Dominican birth certificates had expiration dates and that was for everybody. Having an expired birth certificate was like having nothing since anyone in the government was authorized to accept the non-expired ones which was given upon asking for them at the JCE.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mountainannie

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
That's the case of most Haitians living in the DR, even the ones that went through the regularization plan from a few years ago. The main problem was that to keep their regularized status, they needed to renew and the vast majority didn't. Not renewing meant returning to illegality. I assume that the Haitians that regularized during the regularization plan kept their papers that implies they are legql in the country even though those most if those papers are now void due to not renewing.

The same yearly renewance is applied to the Venezuelans that regularized in later years as the government put a regulrization plan just for them. It will be interesting to see how msny of the regularized Venezuelans keep renew and doesn't relegade to ilkegal status.

The declaration about how most Haitians that regularized during the regularization plan became illegal again by not renewing is said multiple times in multiple interviews by the former Director of Migración, Enríque García. Here is one of those, this one from July 29, 2021. Unfortunately for most DR1ers since they don't know Spanish except a few words such as "una cerveza por favor" (and many not even that), this is in Spanish only and the subtitles can be activated, but from what I can tell they too are available in Spanish only.

If this is the case, that almost all Haitians in the DR are illegal for not renewing the papers they received during the regularization plan, DR1ers are implying that Migración and other authorities when presented these papers by Haitians, to pretend those papers are legal even though they are seeing the papers are expired and void?

By the way, until very recently even Dominican birth certificates had expiration dates and that was for everybody. Having an expired birth certificate was like having nothing since anyone in the government was authorized to accept the non-expired ones which was given upon asking for them at the JCE.
My kid is kind of in this situation now. Except that he did have a legal tourist that expired earlier this year. We have tried to renew it without success. Yes, it's not the same as what you're talking about, but the result is the same.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
That's the case of most Haitians living in the DR, even the ones that went through the regularization plan from a few years ago. The main problem was that to keep their regularized status, they needed to renew and the vast majority didn't. Not renewing meant returning to illegality. I assume that the Haitians that regularized during the regularization plan kept their papers that implies they are legal in the country even though most of those papers are now void due to not renewing.

The same yearly renewance is applied to the Venezuelans that regularized in later years as the government put a regulrization plan just for them. It will be interesting to see how many of the regularized Venezuelans renew and doesn't relegade to illegal status.

3:16 - 5:08

I remember when this process was instituted - how so many Haitians went through SO MUCH trouble and $$ to get their status legal thinking it was going to be some sort of permanent protection - maybe even for 10 years - only to find out it would last for only 2 years.. It was a really a scam to quiet down the international protests. The DR needs to institute some sort of secure worker's visa -- imho...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I remember when this process was instituted - how so many Haitians went through SO MUCH trouble and $$ to get their status legal thinking it was going to be some sort of permanent protection - maybe even for 10 years - only to find out it would last for only 2 years.. It was a really a scam to quiet down the international protests. The DR needs to institute some sort of secure worker's visa -- imho...
It was not a permanent solution, that would be receiving Dominican citizenship. The regularization plan made it easier to reach Dominican citizenship, but hardly anyone renewed and with that went their possibility of gaining citizenship as it requires a legal status to even start the process towards citizenship.

Most of the costs of the regularization plan was absorbed by the Dominican state (essentially the Dominican middle class who are the most taxed of all the groups.) I think it was the only regularization plan in the world where the government absorbs most of its costs. Now it seems like a waste of money to the tune of US$50 million. That's quite an amount.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Even workers visa in most countries are renewed on a yearly basis. My Haitian friend Fredo goes to Santo Domingo every year to renew his.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
It was not a permanent solution, that would be receiving Dominican citizenship. The regularization plan made it easier to reach Dominican citizenship, but hardly anyone renewed and with that went their possibility of gaining citizenship as it requires a legal status to even start the process towards citizenship.

Most of the costs of the regularization plan was absorbed by the Dominican state (essentially the Dominican middle class who are the most taxed of all the groups.) I think it was the only regularization plan in the world where the government absorbs most of its costs. Now it seems like a waste of money to the tune of US$50 million. That's quite an amount.
Most of the Haitians had to pay as well - for them a lot of money - up to US $1k ,,,Haitians were rejected time and again- told to reappear with another paper - lost work - stood in line for days - told it would be permanent... lots of "disinformation " abounding.... I am sorry that I did not do a story on it at the time but I thought that it would reflect very badly on the DR and I tried very hard to not write stories that would do that.... I honestly thought it was just a sham.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Most of the Haitians had to pay as well - for them a lot of money - up to US $1k ,,,Haitians were rejected time and again- told to reappear with another paper - lost work - stood in line for days - told it would be permanent... lots of "disinformation " abounding.... I am sorry that I did not do a story on it at the time but I thought that it would reflect very badly on the DR and I tried very hard to not write stories that would do that.... I honestly thought it was just a sham.
It was not a sham. We ( and many gringos I know ) were also in this plan. The gov't was pressured and relented to include ALL FOREIGNERS who qualified, to be included. Granted - we were probably less than 5% of those in the program. But the cedula and residencia card ( when finally received ) clearly stated an expiration date. We also stood in line for days and days. I lost track of the number of times we traveled Puerta Plata to also experience and endure the same delays and misinformation. And all the gringos I knew in the program also paid.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
It was not a sham. We ( and many gringos I know ) were also in this plan. The gov't was pressured and relented to include ALL FOREIGNERS who qualified, to be included. Granted - we were probably less than 5% of those in the program. But the cedula and residencia card ( when finally received ) clearly stated an expiration date. We also stood in line for days and days. I lost track of the number of times we traveled Puerta Plata to also experience and endure the same delays and misinformation. And all the gringos I knew in the program also paid.
Yes - you lost track of the days - and the delays and the misinformation,,, but you could afford to do that.... Glad you had the time and money,

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Yes - you lost track of the days - and the delays and the misinformation,,, but you could afford to do that.... Glad you had the time and money,
I was working at the time and definitely COULD NOT AFFORD TO LOSE THAT TIME AND MONEY. :mad:

Please don't assume all gringo expats living here are wealthy.

Reactions: JD Jones