Haiti poised for Civil War?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
.....and just looking at the people, there is definately Taino blood in some of the families. I also witnessed the campo living, food stuffs and the way the communities organize themselves and interact
I am curious... how do you recognise it?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Pichardo wrote:
Most Dominican families with ancestry to the colonos, have Taino DNA in them.
One of the easiest ways to spot which is mixed with black or with Taino stronger than the other, it’s a traditional way: Sun tanning!
Europeans will turn red like 🍎 apples under constant sunlight.
I expected you to be better informed. Do you think there is no sun in Europe? Everybody are like our British brothers that turn red indeed?
In Rome, everybody walks in the sun without burning. Sevilla, hotter than RD, Sicily, Crete, Cyprus.

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
You should have a mod erase this picture posted (it contains an embedded link to actual unretouched original pic and others) and upload a screenshot of it instead, which will be a static pic only. Here below I include one you can use instead.
Thanks, I removed the original.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pichardo wrote:

I expected you to be better informed. Do you think there is no sun in Europe? Everybody are like our British brothers that turn red indeed?
In Rome, everybody walks in the sun without burning. Sevilla, hotter than RD, Sicily, Crete, Cyprus.

Seems like you need to inform yourself a bit better. Those Italians that tan under the sun are of mixed ancestry. Same for the locations you listed under the Ottoman Empire in Europe. Then slaves, traders, etc...

Unlike Haiti, on the Spanish side of the island, blacks were a very small minority and most fled to the Haitian side once they were under Haitian control. Haiti needed workers for their depleted farms under their new plan.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Pichardo wrote:

The DR is the only place mentioned in that post that is in the tropics. The intensity of the sun isn't comparable. Plus, the DR is only a handful of countries (around 2 or 3 worldwide) where most of the people are of Euro/Afr/Nat mixed and what that entails regarding tanning ability and the easiness of this. The typical person from those places that you mention are more resistent to tanning than the typical Dominican.

Perhaps you are equating heat with sun intensity, but that is incorrect. The sun is more intense anywhere in the DR and at any time than say in Orlando, Florida; yet, Orlando is hotter (and more humid) than the DR from about March to November.

This isn't as common in any of those places as in the DR:

qEv0hX.jpg

qEvOT7.jpg

qEvej9.jpg

qEvwpS.jpg

Go ahead and make the comparison. Use Google Earth if you need a rapid comparison. Roam through Lagos (Nigeria), Madrid and even Miami and that's a scene you will not see as much as in Santo Domingo. Plus, those are people that for whatever reason their sleeves tended to go a little higher to reveal their actual or neutral color (except the guy wearing shorts who obviously doesn't wear them often outside the house). To be light skin, mixed and a lifestyle that requires you to be outside a lot in a place with very strong sun rays produces that effect with relative ease and rapidity.

Ever wonder why many "dark" Dominicans when they take their shoes off to be in sandals at home their feet are much lighter than the areas normal exposed to the elements such as the face and the arms? Much lighter than you thought they were.

I would say the number of naturally or neutral lighter skin Dominicans is much greater than it appears at first, precisely because many are darken due to their lifestyle (riding motorcycles constantly is a good example) in a country with very strong sun rays. Other places have strong sun rays too such as Lagos in Nigeria or Accra in Ghana, but most of the people aren't mixed. Hence, this discrepancy in color isn't as common over there as in the DR.

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Seems like you need to inform yourself a bit better. Those Italians that tan under the sun are of mixed ancestry. Same for the locations you listed under the Ottoman Empire in Europe. Then slaves, traders, etc...

You said Europeans. There is no such thing as a pure European I think.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Hard to say. Not so much civil war as complete anarchy and collapse, and possibly enough, another international military occupation to contain the troubles. It will be like returning to their previous Saint-Dominguan status during the 1790's.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I’ve tracked my husband’s paternal line back to Guayubin in Montecristi, his dna shows 10% indigenous Haiti & DR.

edit: I just checked ancestry and he has new results. Now only 5%! Daughter dropped to 2%. Before his Portugal was much higher than Spain, but now they match at 39% each.
HOW exactly do ones DNA change?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
HOW exactly do ones DNA change?
When the companies get new samples from the base populations in their database. When getting the DNA results of mixed race populations, it is crucial to have more samples of the parent populations (meaning, Old World populations plus New World Amerinds) of the mix in order to get a better estimate of the proportions in which each component is represented on the target person to be analyzed.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just for the record, your DNA doesn't change, what does is the interpretation of the DNA and that depends on what was explained by Naked_Snake. Everyone is born with a DNA and the composition remains the same from cradle to grave.

On another note:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They do have the weapons, but the military skills are nowhere to be found.
They are only strong against the weak and few from those that can give them a fight for their lives.

I learned long ago one thing: There’s nothing in Haiti to die for.
Unless a full country take over takes place, it’s doomed since 1804.
No full country will do such a takeover. No country is that ignorant. I certainly agree Haiti is doomed.