Haiti Riots Over Fuel Cost Increase

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
The effective prices were set to rise 49% for gas and over 50% for kerosene. This increase was mandated by the IMF in return for loans for the country's development. The World Band and IMF... overpaid government hacks trying to justify a paycheck and a huge ego imho... sigh...

Sep 20, 2003
Haiti-Protest-1-696x391.jpg

'But in other areas of the capital law enforcement seemed to be absent.'
I have been wondering how the security forces would react, and if they could maintain security in Haiti without UN troops. I guess I have my answer.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
[video=youtube;P4mncxTJcDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4mncxTJcDo[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
[video=youtube;BBNSaSaBT2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBNSaSaBT2E[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
[video=youtube;ylkrk26DPIU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylkrk26DPIU[/video]

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
It is never as simple as Civic Unrest and fuel hikes.
There is invariably a hidden agenda working away in the background.
I see nowhere that the huge rich oil companies are prepared to cut their profits enough to give relief to the population.

I witnessed this in another zone where the Oil Company had a monopoly and charged $1.21 per liter (1983) .People had no choice but to pay the price. While the oil company was paying .19 cents per liter. There was no tax on the fuel !!

We started another Oil Company with yet another Oil Giant and reduced the cost to consumer to .72 per liter.
The profits went into the community for Micro-Credit loans and social projects. In the first year we sold 40,000,000 liters.
Paying average .19cents per liter...you do the math.

It does not change because we think it should.
Hispaniola ,Caribbean Islands all pay the price for the benefit of getting to work; feeding their families, and having a roof over their heads.
It will be interesting to see who takes over the management of Venezuelan Oil Business.
I am in no wise a person who looks for a conspiracy...I saw and was personally involved in opposing Big Oil price gouging and Political meddling all for the mighty dollar and on the backs of the hard working and already stressed people.
Not always the head office policy; sometimes and more often than not, the Regional Distributors who do the dirty!
There is a new book for Tim Schwartz to think about. Or Michael Moore to do a documentary.

I think I may have said enough..... Russell

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It must be horrible to be the owner/employee of the supermarket that is shown in the beginning of this video and see it in this condition. The feeling is probably the same as when a person loses a much loved family member or a best friend. So many years of hard work in a country with very high risks of failure and then this happens, all for reasons that have nothing to do with you or your family. I wouldn’t be surprised if many and much needed Haitian business owners/job creators leave Haiti for good after this.

[video=youtube;IeKy09YhuFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeKy09YhuFY[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
At times of crisis even the most anti-Dominican of Haitians through their actions are thanking Juan Pablo Duarte et al for creating the DR. Out of so many places they can easily escape to, the DR appears to be the number one choice.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Some videos are viral in Facebook now with Haitian crowds brutally lynching (random?) Haitians... I would not even think about sharing here as it is absolutely terrible.

Crowds can be scary...

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
At times of crisis even the most anti-Dominican of Haitians through their actions are thanking Juan Pablo Duarte et al for creating the DR. Out of so many places they can easily escape to, the DR appears to be the number one choice.

I would love to see the long faces of the unionists at "We Are All Dominican" now. Wonder how they will spin it.

Sep 20, 2003
pic_2071.jpg

Helicopters have been rescuing people from rooftops all over Haiti in the last few days. Destinations largely unknown, but I can imagine many are flying to the Dominican Republic.

Peguyl-Ville Haiti, Sunday July 8 2018 - A Helicopter evacuated unidentified individuals on a Peguy-Ville building rooftop Sunday after gas price riots.

There were radio news reports that a Helicopter was circulating a building belonging to "Les Mayard Paul", referinng to Gregory Mayard-paul and Thierry Mayard-paul, close friend of ex-President Michel Martelly

Who was evacuated?

No one knows...

Maybe the Haitian elite sense things are different this time.

According to Dominican newspaper Listin Diario, Ex president Martelly landed in Maria Montez International Airport in this province of Barahona, accompanied by his wife Sofia and his children...

There are no details as to by the former president took such an emergency exit.

It was reported that the Dominican airport authorities, civil and military security, as well as the Customs Directorate were put on high alert, as the arrival of other important Haitian families, as well as members of the government cabinet of President Jovenel Moise were expected.

May 5, 2007
pic_2071.jpg

Helicopters have been rescuing people from rooftops all over Haiti in the last few days. Destinations largely unknown, but I can imagine many are flying to the Dominican Republic.

Maybe the Haitian elite sense things are different this time.

Where else unless they rented an aircraft carrier? :ermm:

I suppose Puerto Rico or Cuba with the right birds but I think we would have heard of that by now Must be as you said to DR

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Some videos are viral in Facebook now with Haitian crowds brutally lynching (random?) Haitians... I would not even think about sharing here as it is absolutely terrible.

Crowds can be scary...

Can you say which page posted this on Facebook? I ask because I heard the Haitian government supposedly shut off access to Facebook and other social media so the truth does not get out. The blackout is possible (supposedly) due to one company having a monopoly on communications within Haiti.