Haiti to host new Presidental election

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, you wouldn't say that if you had friends and family there you care about.
As a realist, I think you are wrong. Some things cannot be helped no matter who you have "there".
I don't see any hope there at all.
But there is no way to prove you are wrong, since I have zero connections there.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
If you have hope for Haiti, your heart will always be broken.

It is best to realize there is no hope at all and move on.
I'd say there is no hope as long as Americans/Canadians/Europeans keep believing that western style democracy has a shot/prayer over there. The short answer, it doesn't.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I'd say there is no hope as long as Americans/Canadians/Europeans keep believing that western style democracy has a shot/prayer over there. The short answer, it doesn't.
There is great activity on the ground in Haiti to somehow get some sort of skeleton of democracy going since it does seem that that is the ONLY thing that the CORE group will understand... There is a Civil Society group that has managed to organize about 470 groups in the 10 departments - although it is not clear from the lists exactly HOW many persons are represented therein.. And now they are engaged in getting more groups involved and then getting a structure for the regional groups to chose representatives to form a council.

There was, after all, a HUGE democratic election for Aristide in 1990 - I don't think anyone disputes that. But - well - One Election - for One President does not democracy make.

But unfortunately - the CORE group seems intent on rushing into elections which will probably only lead to more unrest
And they do not seem to be paying any attention to "civil society" WhatSoEver