Haitian 2021 Earthquake & Response

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You ever get the feeling people gang up on you sometimes for posting an opinion or suggesting something they disagree with (aka wrong think) and then they cry and complain about when you stand your ground rather than be bullied or bossed around simply because you refuse allow others to dictate how you think, feel and live?
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE IT, STOP DISHING IT OUT TO OTHERS BECAUSE IT'S A TWO WAY STREET.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
This is the time for compassion, not blame. Blaming does no good when it's an act of God like this. Put yourself in their shoes. What would you do to feed your family on < $5/day? I don't like the deforestation there any more than anyone else, but I understand it and sympathize. Besides, deforestation can't effect plate tectonics.

If I was younger, I would be going there tomorrow to help. As it is, the only thing I can do is send $ to reputable folks that are recommended to me.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Couldn't agree with you more. An incredible waste of time and energy of the mind. Always SMH at the never ending shamefulness of people that are guests here in the DR.
I think that you have to be highly selective on what subjects you engage in and also the people you reply to. But otherwise it is best to stay quiet .

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think that you have to be highly selective on what subjects you engage in and also the people you reply to. But otherwise it is best to stay quiet .
Couldn't agree with you more...as well. Spot on and I continue to make the same mistakes here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Perhaps they would have better fortune if they started behaving like civilized people.
An earthquake has nothing to do with how a society is. Earthquakes have hit the island since before the Taino indians arrived. It happen when the whole island belong to Spain. It happen when the French owned the western coasts snd peninsulas. It happen after Haiti became independent. It happen after the DR became independent. It happens today. It will continue to happen in the future.

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
This was a devastating event, loss of life. Have some compassion for others. This is not about Haitian politics it is about the people of Haiti who have been dealt and now dealing with a devastating situation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We're just about 5 minutes from POP city center... I have never felt an earthquake more than I did today...
If you were here in September of 2003, you would have felt MUCH more. Buildings even collapsed in Sosua.

I do find it odd that we felt nothing at all where I am and the hotel just a short distance to the east had waves in the pools.

Reactions: Gadfly

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Wow, so now, people themselves are blamed for natural catastrophic events happening ?????

These type of posts is exactly why I am going to stop posting/reading on DR1. The lack of humanity, open prejudice from the core posters outweighs the useful info received. Sad.

Peace !
Please don't stop posting on DR1. Your thoughtful posts are a counterbalance to some of the ridiculous comments made by a few of the loudest posters here, even if those posters then feel they are being "ganged up on".

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
My wife (being from here) knows and senses how tiny earthquakes feel, I don't... Whenever we have had a quake here (me being here), I have just felt strange from the head not knowing that it's an earthquake.... Now, I also felt dizzy and odd, but the only reason I realized something is not right was that sitting in the kitchen table, the ceiling lamp was moving around alone... Then I looked outside of the window and saw water coming out of the pool.... Before checking outside my wife alerted me and went on to check the sleeping kids that they are okay...

I felt the way you do when you've been drinking and go to stand up and the floor moves. Except I was sitting down. It was the weirdest thing. Thankfully the lights where I was were moving enough to clue me in that it was the earth.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
If you were here in September of 2003, you would have felt MUCH more. Buildings even collapsed in Sosua.

I do find it odd that we felt nothing at all where I am and the hotel just a short distance to the east had waves in the pools.
My wife has told me about that quake many many times... Her school was completely destroyed and she was never able to take classes in normal settings again before university... Just today she mentioned that again as it came to mind again...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I felt the way you do when you've been drinking and go to stand up and the floor moves. Except I was sitting down. It was the weirdest thing. Thankfully the lights where I was were moving enough to clue me in that it was the earth.
Exactly, or in a ship that's hit by waves... Quakes are a phenomena I have never experienced prior to being in the DR being European, and it's definitely a very strange feeling... Like I'm dizzy and just not in complete control...

Florave

Aug 1, 2021
Cabrera, DOM
Must apologise my earlier posting is under the DR1 news of today Monday
I was monitoring Grace this morning and felt a slight shaking. Thought maybe it was the espresso Cibao or last night's rum. Then my wife said look at the pool. The water was sloshing back and forth and almost overflowed to the patio She sent her observation to USGS almost before the quake was pinpointed. We live in Abreu.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I am watching 4 year old children being pulled from rubble, who know nothing about decades of poor political management. Trucks with rebar are attacked as they enter the country, and the children know nothing about it. They are not sure why people were shooting in the street the night before the ground started shaking. Even though this chain of islands have been rising from the sea for millions of years with volcanos and earthquakes, it is not their fault. Have some compassion. Some of these kids will wait days to have their broken legs fixed, and they will never walk normally. To those at fault for not having a better system to deal with these natural disasters; FU. To the one or two members here who have no compassion for the people who are innocent victims of these natural disasters; FU too.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Perhaps they would have better fortune if they started behaving like civilized people.
Have some compassion man. Your prejudice and ignorance shine through in your posts on here, Cannot believe the mods allow this crap when I recall the posts that I have been banned for. I have always found the Haitian people I have met to be civilised.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I don't know of anything people can do with their behavior to make an area more prone to earthquakes. See below, some scientists say yes. BUT... Some people say, you get the government you deserve. So perhaps the lack of infrastructure, poor building code enforcement, deforestation, crime, drugs etc etc etc which causes these natural disasters to be more "disastrous" is in fact due to the actions of the people and THEIR government. I know there are people that still want to blame it on the French Repayment plan.... To that I say 😂 lol. There could be something in genetic code that makes some societies better able to govern themselves. Also a question for scientists, one brave enough to comment. I purposely used the words "perhaps" and "could" as I am posting for a friend, except for the lol part.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Have some compassion man. Your prejudice and ignorance shine through in your posts on here, Cannot believe the mods allow this crap when I recall the posts that I have been banned for. I have always found the Haitian people I have met to be civilised.
I AGREE..
Yes the mods should ban ALL people who offend the easily offended. That would lead to a truly "civilized" more Haitian like society.

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Wow, so now, people themselves are blamed for natural catastrophic events happening ?????

These type of posts is exactly why I am going to stop posting/reading on DR1. The lack of humanity, open prejudice from the core posters outweighs the useful info received. Sad.

Peace !
It would be nice to see more empathy and some altruism here ...