Haitian American leaders retreat

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Article was behind a paywall.. I subscribe - here it is..

FORT LAUDERDALE — The National Haitian American Elected Officials Network (NHAEON) will host its annual retreat in Arizona to discuss local issues and ways to strengthen the US-Haiti relationship.

The three-day event comes about a year after the western state elected its first official of Haitian descent, Christine Ellis. She represents Chandler, a city of roughly 250,000 residents southeast of Phoenix, on the City Council. Ellis is also the chair of this year’s retreat, the 13th edition of the event.

“The city is waiting for NHAEON to arrive,” Ellis, who’s been living in Chandler for 34 years, said. “Bring it on, we’re ready. Everybody is really excited about it.”

Christine-Ellis.jpg
Christine Ellis swearing in as a city council member of Chandler in January 2021. Photo credit: Chandler Arizona
With nearly 500 attendees expected, this year’s gathering on Jan. 28 to Jan. 30 will be the organization’s largest to date, Ellis said. The invitation-only affair will be held at the Phoenix Chandler Marriott.

Founded in 2009, NHAEON comprises Haitian-American elected and appointed officials. Their goal is to assist and advocate for Haiti and Haitian-American communities. NHAEON has collected funds for Aug. 14 earthquake survivors and has been advocating for a better immigration system.

Under the theme of “Moving Forward, Together” this year, officials will speak about ways they can improve US–Haiti relations and implement any new policies designed to help the Caribbean nation through its political and economic instability.

Officials will also touch on local affairs, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, education and the U.S. economy. Some activities will also be open to members of the Haitian-American community for the first time, NHAEON Chairman Alix Desulme said.

“Elected officials can’t do it by themselves, we need the community,” Desulme said. “We have to move together in 2022, it’s a crucial year for Haiti. This is an opportunity to set the agenda to make sure that our priority is in line with what’s happening.”

Speakers scheduled include Florida District 20 Congressional candidate Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick and Chandler’s Mayor, Kevin Hartke. NHAEON members will also be voting for new executive board members, including a new chairperson, vice-chairperson, secretary, treasurer, parliamentarian and historian. The current board has served for two years.

“It’s important that whoever will be filling the shoes of those we currently have will be able to continue to engage the leaders in different areas,” Ellis said. “We need leadership that will have a togetherness mindset because together, we are stronger.”

Ellis hopes the retreat will help build a more close-knit Haitian-American community in Chandler.

“What I would love is a more cohesive group,” she said. ”Our goal is to make sure that the Haitians that are here know that they are being served and those who are coming [to know] it is a great community to be part of.”

Previously, the annual retreat was held in Florida for the past four years.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
here we go again! blaming people that have made something of themselves. Not all Haitians are poor uneducated tuk tuk drivers. Guess they should give all their money away and live in a hut. What a croc

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
here we go again! blaming people that have made something of themselves. Not all Haitians are poor uneducated tuk tuk drivers. Guess they should give all their money away and live in a hut. What a croc
You clearly do not actually seem to know much of Haitian history. You perhaps do not know about the distinction between Creole and Blacks in Haiti. You perhaps do not know about the class distinctions between those who speak French vs Kreyole.

Because of your use of the term "tuk tuk" drivers, I assume that you have traveled in Thailand and are perhaps not that well educated in the history of Haiti.

And you assume that I am one of the "hang the rich" crowd, which I am not.

I am a dedicated capitalist. In the US, I would be considered an "Eisenhower Republican"

I am a firm defender to the right of ANYONE to make a fortune. I often post in defense of Jeff Bezos, for example.

FYI - Meet the MRE - the Morally Repugnant Elites

The poverty in Haiti is created BY Haitians, for Haitians.

Many Haitian friends of my will attest to the fact that much of the money that was given by their own communities in the USA and Canada - NEVER reached Haiti but was stolen by Haitians to whom the money was entrusted.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Madam , I know enough about Haiti to know that very few speak French. That is why they ae unemployable. They speak Haitian creole which is tantamount to gibberish

Reactions: jd426

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Madam , I know enough about Haiti to know that very few speak French. That is why they ae unemployable. They speak Haitian creole which is tantamount to gibberish
Sir: . You may consider Haitian Kreyole to be "gibberish" (unintelligible or meaningless speech or writing; nonsense.
"he talks gibberish")

It is spoken by more than 10 million people.

All the public announcements by the governments here in South Florida are printed in English, Spanish & Haitian Kreyole.

..."The language emerged from contact between French settlers and enslaved Africans during the Atlantic slave trade in the French colony of Saint-Domingue(now Haiti) in the 17th and 18th centuries.[10][11] Although its vocabulary largely derives from 18th-century French, its grammar is that of a West African Volta-Congo language branch, particularly the Fongbe language and Igbo language.[11] It also has influences from Spanish, English, Portuguese, Taino, and other West African languages.[12] It is not mutually intelligible with standard French, and has its own distinctive grammar. Haitians are the largest community in the world speaking a modern creole language....

[13]"...Haitian Creole is also spoken in other regions around the world including other islands in the Caribbean, French Guiana, France, the Francophone region of Africa, Francophone Canada, and the Dominican Republic.[16][page needed]

It is usage is governed by an Academy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akademi_Kreyòl_Ayisyen
"The Akademi Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole pronunciation: [akademi kɣejɔl ajisjɛ̃]), known in French as the Académie du Créole Haïtien and in English as the Haitian Creole Academy, is the language regulator of Haitian Creole.[4]It is composed of up to 55 scholars under the leadership of Pierre-André Pierre.[5][6]"

YOU may not be able to speak it or understand it. You could learn it, if you wished (which, I am sure, you do NOT wish to do.

Pimsleur Haitian Creole Level 1 Lessons 1-5: Learn to Speak

https://haitihub.com › learn-haitian-creole-free
Learn Haitian Creole free with HaitiHub's library of Creole resources. Free Creole videos, info packets on Haitian topics, Creole flashcards, and more help ...

Should you be interested in languages spoken in Africa, our Harvard University has an entire department - https://alp.fas.harvard.edu

Respectfully,
MountainAnnie

Reactions: Lafcadio

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Sir: . You may consider Haitian Kreyole to be "gibberish" (unintelligible or meaningless speech or writing; nonsense.
"he talks gibberish")

All the public announcements by the governments here in South Florida are printed in English, Spanish & Haitian Kreyole.

..."The language emerged from contact between French settlers and enslaved Africans during the Atlantic slave trade in the French colony of Saint-Domingue(now Haiti) in the 17th and 18th centuries.[10][11] Although its vocabulary largely derives from 18th-century French, its grammar is that of a West African Volta-Congo language branch, particularly the Fongbe language and Igbo language.[11] It also has influences from Spanish, English, Portuguese, Taino, and other West African languages.[12] It is not mutually intelligible with standard French, and has its own distinctive grammar. Haitians are the largest community in the world speaking a modern creole language....

[13]"...Haitian Creole is also spoken in other regions around the world including other islands in the Caribbean, French Guiana, France, the Francophone region of Africa, Francophone Canada, and the Dominican Republic.[16][page needed]

It is usage is governed by an Academy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akademi_Kreyòl_Ayisyen
"The Akademi Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole pronunciation: [akademi kɣejɔl ajisjɛ̃]), known in French as the Académie du Créole Haïtien and in English as the Haitian Creole Academy, is the language regulator of Haitian Creole.[4]It is composed of up to 55 scholars under the leadership of Pierre-André Pierre.[5][6]"

YOU may not be able to speak it or understand it. You could learn it, if you wished (which, I am sure, you do NOT wish to do.
Learn Haitian Creole free with HaitiHub's library of Creole resources. Free Creole videos, info packets on Haitian topics, Creole flashcards, and more help ...

Should you be interested in languages spoken in Africa, our Harvard University has an entire department - https://alp.fas.harvard.edu

Respectfully,
MountainAnnie

Reactions: JD Jones

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
"he talks gibberish")

Respectfully,
MountainAnnie
" It is spoken by more than 10 million people." ??

Do those same 10 million People have any type of Robust Economy to speak of ?
What Industries ?
What Jobs do they have specifically for people who speak this Creole ?
I am curious ..because I have never seen an Employment AD which stated "Bilingual in CREOLE a PLUS"

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What is the difference between Creole and Kreyole?

Not trying to be antagonistic, inquiring mind would like to know.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
" It is spoken by more than 10 million people." ??

Do those same 10 million People have any type of Robust Economy to speak of ?
What Industries ?
What Jobs do they have specifically for people who speak this Creole ?

I am curious ..because I have never seen an Employment AD which stated "Bilingual in CREOLE a PLUS"
Do only those who come from nations with "Robust Economies" count for you?

Here in So Fl there are lots of ads for "bilingual Kreyole"

Characterization of the Haitian Mango Industry - Florida ...​

https://journals.flvc.org › fshs › article › download

PDF

A large part of the Haitian coffee crop is sold to the DR to go into "Cafe Stanto Domingo"