Haitian Arrested in Sosúa Beach Caught on Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I know a lot of Dominicans, and I don't know one that hates Haitians. I think you are being deliberately obtuse. It is all about the history of Haitian invasion and the current massive overflow of Haitians that think it is their right to come to the DR. NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS.
This is the correct definition.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
And there ARE white illegals in DR. Plenty of white foreigners have overstayed, sometimes by years. Guess that’s not who they’re concerned about.

Honestly, their faces were a picture, they thought I was completely ridiculous for reaching to show them my cédula. As if we would ever ask a blonde woman to show why she is legally here, what utter nonsense.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
This is more or less my point . Throughout this country there is a hatred of Haitians that is quite unhealthy. On this site, there are North Americans boasting that they are here illegally and there are many thousands of Venezuelans living here illegally yet the total concentration is against Haitians and any story that blames a Haitian for some reason is roundly applauded. Arrests of other races are not much news but an arrest of an Haitian gets publicity . I doubt if it would upset me if the Haitian people were able to care for themselves but it seems most are living a life in hell.

I agree with this. I have a friend who is Dominican and dark in complexion, she has a couple of kids. One of the kids got bullied at school because the others thought she was Haitian. The school were quick to correct the bullying child and stress that my friend's kid is Dominican, not Haitian. It was like it would be perfectly fine for a kid to be bullied if they were Haitian, but in this case she wasn't so the bullying was wrong.

And I disagree with the idea that Dominicans don't hate Haitians. Almost all the Dominicans I know are anti-Haitian, maybe hate is too strong a word, but there is very little love there.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
it's not that complex. Some snowbird couple from Buffalo N.Y that stays in the D.R to avoid the harsh winter is not a threat to the Dominican economy. Quite the contrary. They spend cash all winter and if they get sick, they have cash to see a doctor. The letter of the law may be broken however discretion in enforcing it is up to the powers that be.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They are Politur who have arrested him, not Migracion. Politur (and the PN) never do anything about deporting illegal Haitians,
That used to be true, but the current blitz is being carried out mainly by PN, who arrest people they guess are illegal, then detain them at the local station until the Migracion bus comes along and takes them to the border. Imigracion are still arresting people, but now the strength is double with the addition of the PN forces.

It must there is no crime being committed so the PN don't have to spend so much time on that.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
besides the fact that he resisted arrest of two uniformed police officers, he has failed to assimilate. His eccentric hairstyle is not of a person befitting his age. I know he was on the beach however he is an easy spot for immigration/police with that accent and a hairstyle that screams "I am a voodoo doctor from Petion-Ville". Furthermore, if he lives in the area the P.D , will now be familiar with him and probably won't cut him any slack.

Reactions: jd426

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree with this. I have a friend who is Dominican and dark in complexion, she has a couple of kids. One of the kids got bullied at school because the others thought she was Haitian. The school were quick to correct the bullying child and stress that my friend's kid is Dominican, not Haitian. It was like it would be perfectly fine for a kid to be bullied if they were Haitian, but in this case she wasn't so the bullying was wrong.

And I disagree with the idea that Dominicans don't hate Haitians. Almost all the Dominicans I know are anti-Haitian, maybe hate is too strong a word, but there is very little love there.
Well, I guess we see different things. I see Dominican and Haitian kids playing and socializing together. I see mixed relationships. We have Haitian children we have had in the school for five or six years with no complaints or observations of bullying or racist comments. We are very quick to notice any of this type of behavior and have cameras with sound everywhere. I love the hugs I get from the Haitian children every bit as much from any other child.

Reactions: jd426 and johne

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That used to be true, but the current blitz is being carried out mainly by PN, who arrest people they guess are illegal, then detain them at the local station until the Migracion bus comes along and takes them to the border. Imigracion are still arresting people, but now the strength is double with the addition of the PN forces.

It must there is no crime being committed so the PN don't have to spend so much time on that.
I don't know for sure, but I think with Abinader's latest decree stepping up the repatriation of illegal Haitians, The PN and Politur(others?) were enlisted in the effort, so they have a mandate and they're expected to produce results.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

illegal immigration is a crime

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
They are Politur who have arrested him, not Migracion. Politur (and the PN) never do anything about deporting illegal Haitians, there are plenty of Haitians buzzing around Bavaro and the Colonial Zone, both of which come under Politur, and they ignore them. The only ones sticking them onto trucks heading west are Migracion.

I would suspect that this guy has done something to end up being arrested by them.
I concur Maria

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
not since I been here pal

We’ve done a lot of building on our property. Probably 2000 feet of perimeter walls, three large additions/extensions (a master suite, a 35’x20’ attached terrazzo with a roof, a new kitchen addition). We use the same Dominican maestro each time, and he comes with an all Dominican work crew every time.

Reactions: MariaRubia

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I totally disagree ..I guess you never heard of the dominican bosses calling Migracion on pay day to have them deport ..that's slave labor
Not that it doesn't happen, but I bet it's a rarity. They would never get another crew. Word of something like that would spread very quick.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
We’ve done a lot of building on our property. Probably 2000 feet of perimeter walls, three large additions/extensions (a master suite, a 35’x20’ attached terrazzo with a roof, a new kitchen addition). We use the same Dominican maestro each time, and he comes with an all Dominican work crew every time.

I agree, when I'm doing any remodelling I only ever work with Dominicans now. I've had bad results with Haitians and they seem to be a lot more aggressive and a lot more desperate to screw me over.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
illegal immigration is a crime

For Haitians.

Venezuelans were welcomed with open arms and offered an extended period of assistance to regulate their status.

It may be a crime but why is enforcement so...uneven? Tourists from many countries can arrive on a tourist visa which is included in their ticket, overstay as long as they wish, and then pay a fee, and not a fine as some still insist on claiming, when leaving the county, if they ever leave...to this day and have ZERO legal repercussions, and are welcomed back to do it again, year after year.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For Haitians.

Venezuelans were welcomed with open arms and offered an extended period of assistance to regulate their status.

It may be a crime but why is enforcement so...uneven? Tourists from many countries can arrive on a tourist visa which is included in their ticket, overstay as long as they wish, and then pay a fee, and not a fine as some still insist on claiming, when leaving the county, if they ever leave...to this day and have ZERO legal repercussions, and are welcomed back to do it again, year after year.
so were Haitians. As I said to Kipling, it is mainly the numbers of Haitians and the load they place on the Dominican medical, education, and social systems that is the main problem. There all sorts of others' problems thousands of squatters bring as well. Venezuelans are a drop in the bucket, and most of them had proper paperwork and ID to get legalized. There are also historical reasons for helping Venezuelans and historical reasons for distrusting Haitians.

Status
Not open for further replies.