Haitians at USA/Mexico border

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Following the hurricane and earthquake, many Haitians headed for the USA border. They’ve arrived, but they’re being sent back.

please keep all responses Haiti related and no USA politics.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
You have to admire their stamina getting from Haiti to Brazil then doing the trek north to the US boarder only to be loaded up and shipped back.

Reactions: aarhus and Luperon

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have a mid-20s friend I've known for a long time in Tapachula on the Guatemalan border. Haven't heard from him in about a month. He left Chile about 4 months ago and is/was going to the USA (against my advice). It is not easy for them I understand. I wish him the best though. He has family in okap. I've known his mom for a long time too.

There was a DiarioLibre article a few days ago about the Haitian protesting lack of paper work to proceed into Mexico. I don't think that's very bright either. Mexico can kick them out whenever they wish.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
This is the first time I’ve heard huge waves of Haitians are attempting this. It’s always been Central Americans & Mexicans. Now Haitians. I’m not anti-immigrant, just surprised.

Reactions: cavok

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
This is the first time I’ve heard huge waves of Haitians are attempting this. It’s always been Central Americans & Mexicans. Now Haitians. I’m not anti-immigrant, just surprised.

I think a lot of people are. I'm not sure if they are arriving directly from Haiti though, and I can't find a conclusive answer. Are there that many flights from Haiti to Central America and Mexico, or are these folks like NanSanPedro's friend who set out long ago? Are the Haitian airports back to being relatively normal? With the possible exception of Haitian media, the assassination and subsequent turmoil no longer receives the attention it did just a short time ago.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I think a lot of people are. I'm not sure if they are arriving directly from Haiti though, and I can't find a conclusive answer. Are there that many flights from Haiti to Central America and Mexico, or are these folks like NanSanPedro's friend who set out long ago? Are the Haitian airports back to being relatively normal? With the possible exception of Haitian media, the assassination and subsequent turmoil no longer receives the attention it did just a short time ago.

To the best of my knowledge, they are not coming directly from Haiti. In years past, some Haitians got sponsors to legally emigrate to Chile and Brazil. I don't know much about Brazil, but Chile's work dried up with the Wuhan flu thing. They were also extremely tight with the curfew. That pushed my friend to try the route from Chile to Mexico to the USA. I'm thinking the Brazil situation is similar, but again I don't know squat about Haitians there.

I do have pics on my dead phone from my Haitian friend caravaning it up thru Columbia and Guatemala. Probably about 20 folks, mostly guys.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
The news feed I’ve read is they came via SA (Venezuela, Brazil) and Central America & Mexico. Long journeys, many lasting months or years to get to this current border situation.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Thanks to those encouraging illegal immigration, Haitians are helping to spread the Colombian variant some say is more vaccine resistant. Others would say there is blood on the hands of those that encourage it.

Reactions: windeguy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The news feed I’ve read is they came via SA (Venezuela, Brazil) and Central America & Mexico. Long journeys, many lasting months or years to get to this current border situation.
Many Cubans follow that route too to get to the USA, particularly flying from Havana to Ecuador and then trekking to the US-Mexico border.

I think the route via SA of Haitian illegal immigration to the USA is here to stay. Once the genie is out of the lamp and see what is out there, it’s very difficult to get it back into the lamp!

At the very least, many of these Haitians deported from the USA will either attempt to reach the USA again or attempt to go and stay in any of the countries along the way. They know how cities are in Haiti and they’ve seen cities in Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Mexico, etc. They have seen the difference in person and can compare.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I read many where in different latam countries. They must have started to move from Brazil and Chile etc I don’t know if they came from Haiti now. If they did they should be looking into who is behind that recent trafficking.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I read many where in different latam countries. They must have started to move from Brazil and Chile etc I don’t know if they came from Haiti now. If they did they should be looking into who is behind that recent trafficking.

I don't really thing it's trafficking. Haitians go to Latin America legally. The illegal part is getting into the USA. They are doing it voluntarily.

Reactions: ben jammin

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I don't really thing it's trafficking. Haitians go to Latin America legally. The illegal part is getting into the USA. They are doing it voluntarily.
I know they are doing it voluntarily but they are getting help aren’t they? and paying people on the way. I know Cubans pay for that route Nals referred to where they go first to Ecuador legally but then cross several countries in some cases illegally before they get to the US.