Haitians at USA/Mexico border

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Likely because they don't have a valid visa and cannot even board a flight without one.

But certainly someone/somehow has/is funding the estimated 12,000 at the border.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
People sell everything they have to finance a migration trip if they think chances are low they will be caught. Sell the house, the donkey, whatever. Put the money in your pocket and start the journey. It's a gamble with everything that you have.

For many illegals, sent back to square one can be traumatic in a way, because now they don't have the proceeds from selling the things. They don't have a house and other stuff either.

At least the Haitian government will give them a warm welcome back to Haiti. Yeah, that will undo selling the house that you inherited from your parents and they from your grandparents, etc.

It's safe to say that the plan of any illegal migration is to not go back to square one until you have more money, even if its only a little more then when you started. What is not in the plans is being deported with nothing to your name left in the place, plus penniless.

Other borrow money in addition to selling everything they have. Those are the worst if deported, because not only are you penniless, but you owe a lot of money on top of that.

Last edited:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
People sell everything they have to finance a migration trip if they think chances are low they will be caught. Sell the house, the donkey, whatever. Put the money in your pocket and start the journey. It's a gamble with everything that you have.

For many illegals, sent back to square one can be traumatic in a way, because now they don't have the proceeds from selling the things. They don't have a house and other stuff either.

At least the Haitian government will give them a warm welcome back to Haiti. Yeah, that will undo selling the house that you inherited from your parents and they from your grandparents, etc.

It's safe to say that the plan of any illegal migration is to not go back to square one until you have more money, eben if its only a little more then when you started. What is not in the plans is being deported with nothing to your name left innthe place, plus penniless.

Other borrow money in addition to selling everything they have. Those are the worst if deported, because not only are you penniless, but you owe a lot of money on top of that.
I think this is very accurate. They are dirt poor.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Remember though this is not a 2 or 3 week trip. Many, like my friend, have been in Chile or Brazil for years and have saved money. They find someone to guide them to Mexico and then they find someone else to take them to the USA border.
So yes they did mainly come from Chile

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So yes they did mainly come from Chile

The apartment my friend had was not as described in the article. I'm sure it wasn't big but it was tons better than Haiti. I know it had more than 1 room, running water, bathroom, and electricity.

He was doing well until the Wuhan flu restrictions hit. He was sending money back home to mom and siblings.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The apartment my friend had was not as described in the article. I'm sure it wasn't big but it was tons better than Haiti. I know it had more than 1 room, running water, bathroom, and electricity.

He was doing well until the Wuhan flu restrictions hit. He was sending money back home to mom and siblings.
Shouldn’t they have considered sending them back to Chile but who knows maybe they negotiated with Chile and they may have said they where all illegal in Chile. What if some had Chile papers or DR cedula. I have no idea though how that works.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Shouldn’t they have considered sending them back to Chile but who knows maybe they negotiated with Chile and they may have said they where all illegal in Chile. What if some had Chile papers or DR cedula. I have no idea though how that works.

I'm not sure if that is doable and if Chile would object. But it is an interesting question.

I think the biggest problem will be the sheer volume of them. It's over 10000 people. They don't have the manpower to verify every individual's story. You're Haitian? You're going back to Haiti. Next!!!

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I'm not sure if that is doable and if Chile would object. But it is an interesting question.

I think the biggest problem will be the sheer volume of them. It's over 10000 people. They don't have the manpower to verify every individual's story. You're Haitian? You're going back to Haiti. Next!!!
That is true. They want to solve the problem quickly plus send an immediate signal that it isn’t worth it. Don’t embark on the dangerous journey. If they don’t it will soon be 100,000.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was of the impression that illegals are deported to the country they entered the USA. At least, that was an issue in Mexico. Many Hondurans, Salvadorians, Guatemalans, etc were sent back to Mexico instead of their countries. The worry from Mexico was that they were congregating in the Mexican towns bordering the USA, possibly to attempt another illegal entry.

It appears the USA really wants to send a message to Haitians by deporting them directly to Haiti instead of Mexico.

Anyways, Chile wouldn't be an option and neither is the DR, unless they entered illegally directly for either of those two countries. Perhaps it doesn't matter with Haitians, since the USA is sending them back to Haiti despite they didn't went from Haiti directly to the USA.

It could be that Mexico really didn't want the Haitians and US authorities had no other option but deporting them directly to Haiti. This one is unlikely, but you never know.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I was of the impression that illegals are deported to the country they entered the USA. At least, that was an issue in Mexico. Many Hondurans, Salvadorians, Guatemalans, etc were sent back to Mexico instead of their countries. The worry from Mexico was that they were congregating in the Mexican towns bordering the USA, possibly to attempt another illegal entry.

It appears the USA really wants to send Haitians a message by deporting them directly to Haiti instead of Mexico.

Anyways, Chile woukdn't be an option and neither is the DR, unless they entered illegally directly for either of those two countries. Perhaps it doesn't matter with Haitians, since the USA is sending them back to Haiti despite they didn't went from Haiti directly to the USA.
Either way it should be efficient as a signal to stop more from trying. What a nightmare scenario being sent back to Haiti after having left a decade ago. How complicated and tragic illegal immigration can be.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Univisión (a Spanish-language tv channel based in Miami, Fl) posted this on its Instagram account.

Haitians being "hunted" at the US-Mexico border by border patrol on horseback. A total of seven pictures, all can be seen by sliding each image.

It looks like one of those old wild west movies.

• Sad
Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Univisión (a Spanish-language tv channel based in Miami, Fl) posted this on its Instagram account.

Haitians being "hunted" at the US-Mexico border by border patrol on horseback. A total of seven pictures, all can be seen by sliding each image.

It looks like one of those old wild west movies.

Really sad. I understand why they have to do it but it just looks horrible. It really is dehumanizing.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I th

I think what Sailor means is that the category of Haitians with money, or socalled rich and there can’t be many of them, would have visa. These Haitians obviously are poor.

You need millions of dollars to buy a visa. Having 12000 US is not going to cut it with US immigration.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
They wouldn't be allowed to board a flight without a visa. Money can't buy a visa.
I think the point of this discussion is that they are not Haitians with money or richer Haitians. They are all dirt poor. One just have to look at the pictures. And they came up through Latin America.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
You need millions of dollars to buy a visa. Having 12000 US is not going to cut it with US immigration.
12,000 usd is what they generally pay for the smuggling. Nobody talked about US investment visa programs.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think the point of this discussion is that they are not Haitians with money or richer Haitians. They are all dirt poor. One just have to look at the pictures. And they came up through Latin America.
I wouldn't say "dirt poor". If you've ever seen dirt poor Haitians, you'd know even if they sold everything they have they couldn't come up with $12K USD.

Reactions: NanSanPedro