Haitians in PC/Bavaro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Should include those who have overstayed their tourist visa?
Why should it be different for him when he’s a Dominican citizen? The DR can’t kick out any citizen.

It would be an issue for many DR1ers.

Reactions: windeguy

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You can lose your "naturalization" under certain circumstances. So yes, the DR can remove a "citizen".

Naturalized Citizens can lose their nationality by leaving the country for ten years, or establishing residency within one year of being naturalized abroad. Accepting employment from a foreign government, committing crimes against the country, behaving immorally, or having committed fraud in a naturalization application. They can also have their nationality suspended for the period in which they may be incarcerated for capital crimes.

***I should add that this is what was told to me by the Dominican Embassy in New York. I had a question about it a few years ago so this is the answer I received*** I had to put it into "English" translation. So, it may not be perfectly worded.

Last edited:

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I am white, you got that right.

I only have one residence which is in the DR and I am a naturalized DR citizen.
If I don't pay for illegals here, than neither do other Dominicans.

Why ? Because I am completely against illegal aliens in either country where I am a citizen.
My wife concurs and she was born here and is Dominican.

You can lose your "naturalization" under certain circumstances. So yes, the DR can remove a "citizen".
That would suck

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The illegals from Haiti in the DR should be Haiti's problem. Not the DR's.

There is a program for work visas and there are laws as to how many can be on a job site.
Those laws should be enforced. But we all know how good Migracion is at enforcing laws.

I may have posted once or twice about Migracion not enforcing the actual laws.
As is confirmed in the OP article, the government are not renewing visas, even for Haitians who have been living and working and living here legally for many years.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
As is confirmed in the OP article, the government are not renewing visas, even for Haitians who have been living and working and living here legally for many years.
Could that change now the election is over ? Some employers/industries need them. It has helped grow the economy.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Winde pays taxes so yes, he pays for Haitians receiving " free services" as do I. His color is irrelevant, and he is a citizen. Work Visa programs can be made flexible by the government, but they should be enforced. I feel for the poor Haitians and what is happening in their country, but illegals are illegals and should be treated as such.
I do not know about Windeguy's personal fiscal situation, but surely like most of us here are what we pay is things like ITBIS etc when we buy things. There are also various taxes and charges that we pay to the government for other things. Everybody who lives here, Dominican, Haitian, or other nationality has to pay these.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
The interesting thing is that very often the media paints it as if Dominicans aremore concerned that there are Haitians in the DR rather thsn their numbers considering you know many, if not most probably aren’t legal (whether outright illegal or with a visa not meant for what they do -only one type of visa and a temporary workers permit legally allows a foreigner to live and work in the DR.)

Yet, it was recently brought to my attention sonethkng that even I had not noticed. They paint Dominicans like that, yet most agricultural jobs go to Haitians. A large segment of construction jobs go to Haitians. The same with maids, increasingly motoconchos, guachimen, etc. The kicker in all of this is that most Haitians (legal and illegal) that work in the DR are in fact hired by small and medium size Dominicans. It may seem at first that most work for the big companies because of the large numbers these companies desl with regarding everything, but most actually are found with the little ones.

If Dominicans were as msny of these media claim, this wouldn’t be the case. They don’t make it a point to clear that there is a difference between hating soneone vs there are simply too much that appeared in a relative short amount of time, especially when the planned long term development never took into account the possibility of this happening. In the end, what ends up influencing how things occurred is what actually happens, not what is planned.

Then you look how much of the percentage of the countries where these medias are based is composed by Haitians and it becomes clear why they turn a blind eye regarding that with the DR. Not too long anout giant Brazil became worried about the “large” number of Haitians going there. As big as Brazil is, the amount of Haitians that they have is considerably less than the amount in the DR. They ahould start to complain when the Haitians amount to the percentage of their national population as is the case in the DR. When at least one place in Brazil has as many Haitians as Bávaro/Punta Cana, then we’ll talk. :censored:

What a silly thing to say... Brazil is like halfway around the world for Haitians... DR is next door.

And although Brazil is huge geographically speaking... Most of its population is found in just one-third of its size, and on the Eastern seaboard... Which is pretty much overpopulated.

Regarding DR business owners' disposition toward Haitian workers... They are running businesses for their own profit... And will do whatever, meaning they will have whatever disposition toward the workers they need to have in order to maintain their profit-making business.

Not saying they quietly hate Haitians... But are they fighting for the well-being of these Haitians that they are using to help them make their profits?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I do not know about Windeguy's personal fiscal situation, but surely like most of us here are what we pay is things like ITBIS etc when we buy things. There are also various taxes and charges that we pay to the government for other things. Everybody who lives here, Dominican, Haitian, or other nationality has to pay these.
And it's not an insignificant amount

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You have to be some kind of low human the way some Dominicans treat Haitians.

There is a condo near me that hired a young recent immigrant Haitian man for two weeks for cleaning, cutting brush and painting and moving furniture.

During this time they also hired his female cousin for 4 days to scrub tiles on the large drained pool.

This was in July in one of the hottest times of the year.

After the work the owner, a rich man from Santiago with several properties, refused to pay them even a peso.

It was devastating to them because they were anticipating that money to pay for their basics and had worked hard up to being told they wouldn't receive anything.

They had no recourse but accept their status as victims of a Dominican slave & hate mentality.

It's OK to be against and even be vocal about illegal immigration.

What is not OK to screw people because you think you are justified because of their status, skin color, social standing or knowing they have no recourse.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As a business we pay a number of taxes that you or the average citizen without a business doesn't pay; currently around 200,000 pesos a month.

Reactions: chico bill

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
You have to be some kind of low human the way some Dominicans treat Haitians.

There is a condo near me that hired a young recent immigrant Haitian man for two weeks for cleaning, cutting brush and painting and moving furniture.

During this time they also hired his female cousin for 4 days to scrub tiles on the large drained pool.

This was in July in one of the hottest times of the year.

After the work the owner, a rich man from Santiago with several properties, refused to pay them even a peso.

It was devastating to them because they were anticipating that money to pay for their basics and had worked hard up to being told they wouldn't receive anything.

They had no recourse but accept their status as victims of a Dominican slave & hate mentality.

It's OK to be against and even be vocal about illegal immigration.

What is not OK to screw people because you think you are justified because of their status, skin color, social standing or knowing they have no recourse.

And people wonder why some become violent.

I don't condone violence... And nuff respect for the young Haitian man and his sister for accepting what happened to them, without responding in a violent manner.

We live in a world where things can go south very quickly... So south that there is no coming back from it... For any involved.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
As a business we pay a number of taxes that you or the average citizen without a business doesn't pay; currently around 200,000 pesos a month.
Exactly. Most individuals of any nationality don't. Some landlords of rental properties may pay tax on the income, but most don't.

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

I don't condone violence... And nuff respect for the young Haitian man and his sister for accepting what happened to them, without responding in a violent manner.

We live in a world where things can go south very quickly... So south that there is no coming back from it... For any involved.
His cousin, not sister. She's the one who cleans my house.

I warned her I didn't trust them to pay her and her cousin and I was clairvoyant.
It's hard to watch someone go from being excited about receiving some money for a menial job then watching them intentionally screwed by someone to whom that small amount meant nothing financially - only that it gave him the power or the least of society.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
In my opinion every country in the world has the right to allow who comes in and if you do not follow the legal system of that country, then you are deported. Why this is even an issue is ridiculous.
In the DR's case its understandable why tourist are charged a overstay fee instead of being deported. For those that don't get it, tourists add to the economy not take from it. Is this racist? Debatable but just good business to me.
If you don't like it you are free to leave as well.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
In my opinion every country in the world has the right to allow who comes in and if you do not follow the legal system of that country, then you are deported. Why this is even an issue is ridiculous.
In the DR's case its understandable why tourist are charged a overstay fee instead of being deported. For those that don't get it, tourists add to the economy not take from it. Is this racist? Debatable but just good business to me.
If you don't like it you are free to leave as well.
I think the issue also is the illegal immigrants find employment. There is a demand and someone hires them

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

I thought the same thing at the time.
The young man was small person, timid and a stranger in a strange land. No way he was going to get in a fight.

Yeah he came illegal because his motivation was to find some for of work.

I will add the end.

He had only been here about 2 months.
After getting screwed over on the first work he found he was so discouraged he told his cousin he wanted to go back to Haiti.
I gave him 2000 pesos to get some food and get a ticket on a bus to the frontier.
He self-deported.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As a business we pay a number of taxes that you or the average citizen without a business doesn't pay; currently around 200,000 pesos a month
Is that an income tax paid monthly or other also other fees. I assume they aren't auditing the business monthly. Do they periodically ask to see receipts?

Does a business have to pay anything to the government per employee?

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I thought the same thing at the time.
The young man was small person, timid and a stranger in a strange land. No way he was going to get in a fight.

Yeah he came illegal because his motivation was to find some for of work.

I will add the end.

He had only been here about 2 months.
After getting screwed over on the first work he found he was so discouraged he told his cousin he wanted to go back to Haiti.
I gave him 2000 pesos to get some food and get a ticket on a bus to the frontier.
He self-deported.
Thank you... May your kindness and care come back to you a hundred fold.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is that an income tax paid monthly or other also other fees. I assume they aren't auditing the business monthly. Do they periodically ask to see receipts?

Does a business have to pay anything to the government per employee?
Yes, we have an accountant that submits all receipts, payroll.....etc. Yes you have to pay in to various pension, medical, rehabilitation, ....etc.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Yes, we have an accountant that submits all receipts, payroll.....etc. Yes you have to pay in to various pension, medical, rehabilitation, ....etc.
Thats the point I was making. If all your employees are registered in the TSS and you are paying for each employee. You haven’t got any illegals working for you.