Haitians in the D.R.

E

ECH

Re: Haitians are VERY NICE!!

I don't know where the misinterpretation came in but that was EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY. However, it may have been unclear. Sorry.

R

ReadreforDS

Abusive Language

I don't understand your violent and abusive alanguage, what is it taht I poted that disagrees with your particular thinking. Am I not allowed to disagree with you withou having foul and abusive language used?

M

Michael

Hello well after reading almost half your posts I have this reply:

I believe that truly most dominicans and tourists believe that Hatians have nothing to offer the D.R except, Cheap labor and Aids, and other nasty disesases. Now giving hati money for no reason is stupid let them earn their own money. God helps those who help themselves....

Good luck

mike myers

M

Mark

Re: DR1 - This is useless!

DR1,

This is an absolutely useless post, and should be erased!! I guess some may complain that this post is also useless, so feel free to erase it as well.

Mark

D

Dee DeMusis

PEOPLE--PLEASE...

Nony---like the others asked---where are you from??? I was in the DR and found myself being discriminated against [I AM WHITE and AMERICAN]...so you see it CAN and does happen anywhere. There is a notion that all Americans who come to the DR are wealthy...we aew ripped off and then are told, "you're American... you can afford to replace." There are also notions being spread about the Haitians in the DR. THE PROBLEM WITH NOTIONS IS THAT THEY TEND TO BECOME GOSPEL TRUTH IF LEFT UNCHECKED. I am NOT defending the HAitians BUT THE GOVERNMENT brings some in to cover the Zafra, especially to the CEA bateys. Some have documents, others do not. Perhaps the undocumented need an amnesty to have time to obtain their papers AND NOT CHARGED AN ARM AND A LEG TO GET THEM. How about some reasonable, rational solutions instead of bitching about the problem...

PRESIDENTE FERNANDEZ, ESTA ESCUCHANDO???????!!!!!

A

A. Nony Mouse

I am a white Canadian and speak Spanish almost without an accent. Maybe this is why they don't try to rip me off. Also I only buy in stores with prices marked, and ask the price before taking a taxi or whatever service I require. If you follow those two rules, and don't get too close to the desperately poor Dominicans or the very rich ones, you should be alright.

If you dress like a tourist (shorts and tank tops), have difficulty speaking Spanish, and insist on living in an area that is predominantly a tourist area, chances are that some Dominican will try to take advantage of you.

D

Dee DeMusis

Dear Read--

Where on earth did you get that information??? Unless they ARE family or domestic servants you probably will NOT find a Haitian in a Dominican household.

Dee

D

Dee DeMusis

Re: IS Dominica Slavery Dominican Related?

Read--

YOu shouldn't be banned-- it is a very good question.

Yes, the slavery IS related tio the DR but has its basis back in history. The way I read the history, after the Spaniards/Columbus decimated the Tainos, somebody needed to work the plantations, so the landowners began buying African slaves to do the planting, harvesting, etc. It continues today with the sugar and citrus crops.

Because of th nature of my relationship to the country, I will neither condemn the DR government or the private companies, but I will say that the OAS, Amnesty International, the National Coalition for Haitian Rights and others are monitoring the conditions.

There are alot of great books and articles about the whole sitiation. Contact me on my HOtmail addres and I can tell you more without taking up space here.

Dee

D

Dee DeMusis

Nony- Nobody said Haitians were not nice...but there are apples who turn the barrel sour in every nationality.

You said you spoke Spanish without an accent...DO YOU MEAN THAT YOU SPEAK LIKE A DR RESIDENT? OR DO YOU SPEAK WITH YOUR CANADIAN ACCENT? I am confused.

We are talking about Haitians in the DR-- were you talking about them or the fact that no matter where you are, if you act like a tourist you may be fleeced? You are right. I've seen some of my fellow'mericans "operate" and they really embarrass me. Though I,too, am white, I really try to stay around mi comunidad in La Roaman and Santo Domingo...within mi familia no hay problemas.

Dee

A

A. Nony Mouse

Most Dominicans take me for a Spaniard, because I did not learn my Spanish in the DR. I am from Quebec, but most people take me for Belgian because I learned my French in private schools. Go figure.

G

gio

Re: IS Dominica Slavery Dominican Related?

My brother-in-law had many years of university study in the DR and he was becoming a Catholic priest, anyway, he told me the exact same thing, that the Spaniards both massacred the Indians by forcing them to work plantations and and stole whatever goods or riches the Indians had. The Spaniards also gave them germs that the Indians did not have before and that killed them off too. When their supply of Indians became low they brought in African slaves and abused them also. While the Spanish speaking countries have the Spaniards to thank for part of their culture and religion, their combinations of faces remind them that they have no choice but to embrace all of truth about all of their ancestral heritage from which they originate.

A

arcoiris

Re: is man's desire to enslave Dominican related?

very true, Gio. In mixed families there are politics too. It goes, "my skin is lighter than yours" (which implies that it is better), "she has "good" hair" (which is more straight). Then the hierarchy of color can continue. We really need to do some major remedial work, and keep reinforcing the rainbow of colors that we come in, and the rainbow of varieties of music, food, clothing styles. We need to teach our children that one style is not "better than" the others, but are all rich varieties. The tendency to be selfish and try to dominate others remains as part of our fallen nature, and needs constant discipline.

J

JC

Re: They should monitor their fannies...

>>>>>>>>>but I will say that the OAS, Amnesty International, the National Coalition for Haitian Rights and others are monitoring the conditions.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What these fellows should be monitoring is the Haiti-DR border. They should sit there in a "mecedora" and stop all haitians from crossing illegaly.

Better yet, if they are in a crusading mood they should move to Haiti and help those people to get their act together. Talk is cheap.

J

JC

Re: My cats are VERY NICE too!!

Tell us who are those bad people that are NOT very nice so we can call them to order.

B

BKW

Haitians are very nice. i lived in DR off and on for a few years.not all dominicans are into the color thing. i have been to Haiti too,and the Haitians have been dealing with Dominican girls working the Carrefour Road area in Port-au-Prince in the bars of the evening(bordello)for a long time, this is the real problem in DR the traveling of girls to other islands and Europe to work just to support families. forget talking about color issues this goes on all over the world in one form or other. SIDA or AIDS is a big problem in the whole island of Hispanola and people without jobs on both sides of the border,and proper help from the powers to be are the problem.i love DR and would hata to see it go down in any way. RAJMORENO

D

Dee DeMusis

Re: is man's desire to enslave Dominican related?

Hurray for you, Rainbow Lady!!!

So true, so true. We need to stress the VALUE in DIFFERENCE!!! It's almost like thinking one country or stateis better than another...just different...every people and place has something to contribute to the greater whole and we need to cherish each other instead of bash.

I asked a Haitian that I know why do some of your countrymen have the attitude the do? His reply was" BECAUSE WE WERE SLAVES." This meant that some people will tell you what they think you want to hear and not always the exact truth...a defense measure from the slave times, to be sure... BUT this is also still extant...sad but true. It happened to me personally and I'll leave that there. VERY DISCONCERTING.

I can't totally fault the sugar companies, especially Central Romana. I was on some of their plantations post-Georges and I saw a MASSIVE reconstruction effort and also beefed-up mobile clinics taking the medicine and doctors to the people in the remore areas.

It's a "politica" to be sure, but we need to study the history that has brought us this far before we get too huffed up.

Thanks, arcoiris...you are a lady of great grace and wisdom.

Dee