Hall of Famer Tommy Lasorda passes at 93

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Tom-Lasorda-Diario-Libre.jpg

Tommy Lasorda, the man who said that he would bleed Dodger blue if he was ever cut open, died at his home late last week at 93 years of age. A first-round Hall of Fame pick, Lasorda is very well remembered by Dominican baseball fans. He managed here three years, and really and truly everyone knew him. He was the manager of the Leones de Escogido back in 1970-1971, and then he spent two years with the Tigres del Licey, 1972-1973, and 1973-1974. He won the championship each of those two years, and in 1974 he took Licey to the title in the Caribbean World Series.

Diario Libre recalls that Lasorda defended his team to the utmost. His most infamous encounter with the umpires happened in Santiago in one of those classic games between the Aguilas and the Tigres. Lasorda took issue with a call by the chief umpire and in the very heated discussion, he threw his baseball cap at him. He was...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CristoRey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Not many personalities left in baseball. I used to be able to name many starting lineups and their managers. No longer.
The game is not as exciting (to me anyway) or wholesome as it used to be.
Lasorda was old school. Love him or hate him you knew his name and face. Like Casey Stengel, Billy Martin, Dick Williams, Yogi Berra, Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox or even Sparky Anderson they were synonymous with the game and very involved managers.
But the game is not the same.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had no opinion of Tommy, he was in the other league that I never watched at all as a Yankee fan.

We were having dinner in Fullerton. CA at a large Italian eatery and banquet hall. A place like I wish we had in the DR:

1610376584827.png

The owner called us over and we went to look into one of the rooms where Tommy was holding an event. I think he was selling autographs. I declined, but at least I saw him in person for 5 seconds. They said Tommy loved the place, I know we did.

My condolences to his friends, family and admirers.

Yolatengo

Apr 15, 2020
Love him or hate him, he was one of the last great characters of the game..... across many decades!
An impressive list of accomplishments, in a lifetime devoted to the game and organization he loved.
(In 1958 he was the International Leagues' MVP, as a pitcher with the Montreal Royals.)
One of the best baseball reads for a fan of the game is his autobiography...The Artful Dodger...1985
RIP Tommy