halo amigos.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I know it doesn't hail there and if it does I can't imagine anybody would fix their cars. I have seen the body shops and the mud slingers. The only opportunity I see for fixing cars would be the rental cars and maybe the new car dealers, possibly some retail business from people who have a lot of money. But honestly I don't really want to work in the dominican republic unless it is really worth my time and that would mean making 500usd per day. I was going to just buy a 40 sailboat and go cruising for 4 months out of the year. I might still do that.

Anyway when I am down there I always attempt to communicate in spanish. Its just respect. I expect people in the states to try and speak english especially if they live there. "When in rome."

Anyway interesting people here. I guess I should have not started my intro in spanish. I would have rather the whole conversation moved towards where and what do the ex pats do.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Anyway when I am down there I always attempt to communicate in spanish. Its just respect. I expect people in the states to try and speak english especially if they live there. "When in rome."

Anyway interesting people here. I guess I should have not started my intro in spanish. I would have rather the whole conversation moved towards where and what do the ex pats do.

Hey, no apology needed. The rest of us can appreciate your effort and applaud you for it. I know plenty of ex-pats that have been living here for many years and can barely get past the "una cerveza por favor". Feel free to keep practicing, we're happy to be of help. Just don't take anything personally ;)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Jumblenumber,
In reply to:Also if you think he needs to practice his Spanish, why would you tell him this in Spanish it makes no sense.

The way to practice Spanish is to use Spanish! DUH! What could make more sense than using Spanish to practice Spanish?? Tell me that. Here let's Practice English in Spanish!!!JAJAJAJA Que Rico eso!!! JAJAJA
Der Fish

Did you read post 19 si o no? I said I was wrong for asking these question, and I apologized. I wonder about some of you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"A Journey Of One Thousand Miles,Begins With Just One Step!"
Keep on "Step'n,you will be OK!
Dominicans don't care how well you speak their language(Notice I said;"Their Language",NOT Spanish! Dominicans speak "Something",but it sure "Ain't Spanish!) they are just happy that you are trying!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"BoyPa'Ya"!.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
"A Journey Of One Thousand Miles,Begins With Just One Step!"
Keep on "Step'n,you will be OK!
Dominicans don't care how well you speak their language(Notice I said;"Their Language",NOT Spanish! Dominicans speak "Something",but it sure "Ain't Spanish!) they are just happy that you are trying!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"BoyPa'Ya"!.

I am always greeted with smiles when I habla en espanol. I can communicate well enough to get my thoughts across. It is the understanding the spoken spanish that is difficult. Por favor no habla rapido. LoL. Anyway I am thinking by the time a year has passed I will be fluent enough.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
"Celt",I think he needs to tweeze his "A-Hole".
I think he hair a "Hair Up There",or maybe "across his A$$"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
"Dent" man,I thought you were a "Dentist" when I saw your "Name".
No hail here,at least not often enough to make repair a business.
Car body repair here is a low tech business.They do it on the street,for very few "PESOS"!(JMB733,THAT means "MONEY"! in "Dumbinican"),.and,I HOPE it offends you!(Do U Speko Espango?")
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Street vendors who speak "English",now there is how to tke advantage of learning a foreign language!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC,or in Espanish,"SISISISISISISISISISISI

You think because you have a HOUSE full of Dominicans you feed and clothe and pay 15000RD for lights you offend me PLEASE!!! If your name is Derrick Rose, Prince Fielder, or Cam Newton then maybe you can talk about about offending me. CC with a house full of Dominicans in Santo Domingo DR with a light bill for 15000RD BIG DEAL!!! When you learn how to get the ground beneath your feet, and the wind at your back then you can address me. Until then keep on making a JOKE about everything and keep belittling everyone who you do not think is worthy of having any ties to DR.

One more thing CC I was never going to go here but I have to. I have MORE money then you Mr Colon I always have Buddy!!! I work for Nestle USA and my family and I rent and flip homes in the south surburbs of Chicago. You are Santo Domingo RICH, I am Chicago RICH the two can't be anymore different.

Now you run along and take this to one of your banks and CASH IT!!!! I am not one of those men you come across everyday and ask you for a job or one of the people you need to feed.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Wow. I speak very fluent english, however I have a translator that will translate any language to english and english to any language, written or spoken. But since this is an english speaking forum I will try to refrain from using spanish here. Anyway y'all have a great day. Time to fix the dents. ;)

Ken

Burn that translator. #I'mjustsayin

SHALENA

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Why? So I could be dependant on others to translate for me? Bad advise. Jus sayin.

It helps build my vocabulary. I also have rosetta stone. Anyway.

Next subject please.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You live in "DaHood" of S. Chicago,I Live in "Arroyo Hondo" Santo Domingo,"Just Say'n"
Tell us "One More Time" about all the "Pimp Rides" you and your family are behind in payments on?????????
My Electric bill was down to 11,500 last month,so cool at night,even I had to turn off the "AIR"!!!!!!
I am "Complaining" about how much money I have to spend to live here,not bragging about it.
Send me some "Coco" "NestleBoy"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And who are those guys you named,Never heard of ANY of them.
"Hip Hop" moguls,Drug Dealers,Basketball players?
You can take the "Bro" out of "Cabrini Green",but you can NEVER take the "Cabrini Green" out of the "Bro"! :pirate:

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Holy crap. I certainly hope this isn't how you people communicate in person. I guess I will continue to mainly befriend dominicans. Y'all sound like a bunch of american egotistical jack asses. The very thing I am hoping to escape.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Hey Kent, as a Dominican, let me tell you a little secret: we don't get offended if you try to speak Spanish and don't speak it properly, we are experts in hand gestures and signalling things using our lips hahaha, the only way you will learn is by practicing. Even if we mock you a little, don't get offended by it, it's in good nature.

In regards to the translator, do use it to translate words, but often times the grammar sucks big time and you might end up not being able to properly get your point across.

Also, try to make friends with a Spanish speaking person who will correct you, that way you will learn properly and 10 years down the line you won't still be saying something wrong.

Good luck in the DR! :)

And it's "Hola" "Halo" is a video game :p

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't worry "DENT"!
It's nothing personal.I actually get "PMs" from some posters asking me to "Insult Them" on DR1!
When we do get together we have really good times.
The anonimity of the internet brings out the worst in some posters. (Heh Heh!)
The "Face-To-Face" encounters,the best!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Do you tweeze your eyebrows?

I don't tweeze my eyebrows... I use a hedge clipper... gas powered. If I didn't, I'd look like our recently departed Andy Rooney. Have to use those suckers on my ears too. If I got really ambitious I could probably let it all grow, and whirl it up over my bald head and look like Donald Trump with a dead squirrel on his head.

imgres

imgres

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Hey Kent, as a Dominican, let me tell you a little secret: we don't get offended if you try to speak Spanish and don't speak it properly, we are experts in hand gestures and signalling things using our lips hahaha, the only way you will learn is by practicing. Even if we mock you a little, don't get offended by it, it's in good nature.

In regards to the translator, do use it to translate words, but often times the grammar sucks big time and you might end up not being able to properly get your point across.

Also, try to make friends with a Spanish speaking person who will correct you, that way you will learn properly and 10 years down the line you won't still be saying something wrong.

Good luck in the DR! :)

And it's "Hola" "Halo" is a video game :p

I understand the hola. But everytime I talk to my friend in DR she always says halo. She is 100% dominican. I was trying to be informal. Es no problema. Anyway la vida es muy bien. Can't wait until next week when I fly back. Woohoo.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
I understand the hola. But everytime I talk to my friend in DR she always says halo. She is 100% dominican. I was trying to be informal. Es no problema. Anyway la vida es muy bien. Can't wait until next week when I fly back. Woohoo.

Oh! I think you mean "Al?!" That's how we answer the phone, but not an actual greeting :)