Happy New Year - Haiti celebrates 218 years of independence

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
"Haiti got some cheery news this week. Its traditional joumou soup has been awarded protected cultural heritage status by UNESCO. Joumou soup is a hearty blend of pumpkin, potatoes, squash, beef, chili peppers and other things. And this is the first time that any cultural item from Haiti has received the designation."...

Haiti got some cheery news this week. Its traditional joumou soup has been awarded protected cultural heritage status by UNESCO. Joumou soup is a hearty blend of pumpkin, potatoes, squash, beef, chili peppers and other things. And this is the first time that any cultural item from Haiti has received the designation.

New Year's Day in Haiti is celebrated with Soup Joumou.

Reactions: keepcoming

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
"Haiti got some cheery news this week. Its traditional joumou soup has been awarded protected cultural heritage status by UNESCO. Joumou soup is a hearty blend of pumpkin, potatoes, squash, beef, chili peppers and other things. And this is the first time that any cultural item from Haiti has received the designation."...

Haiti got some cheery news this week. Its traditional joumou soup has been awarded protected cultural heritage status by UNESCO. Joumou soup is a hearty blend of pumpkin, potatoes, squash, beef, chili peppers and other things. And this is the first time that any cultural item from Haiti has received the designation.

Annie, are you ever coming back here?

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
One of our neighbors cooked something similar. So good. Unfortunately, the company they worked for transferred them right before the Holiday. Both husband and wife cooked very good. Will miss them and their food.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

Is this you in video mountain lady?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Annie, are you ever coming back here?
If I do ever get on a plane again - it will be to come back there.

but right now -- I still have friends to visit in the USA... back to Asheville, NC - which is really my home
And then out to Denver and NM to visit very old friends.

I am upgrading my car so that I can tow a camper/trailer... There is a site called "Outdoorsy" where folk rent out their trailers... And the US National Parks will accommodate those which are not over 19 feet...

so - no plans for the next few years.... And my dearest Haitian friend wants me to come back THERE to visit. I told him that ONLY if he meets me at the PauP airport and we fly DIRECTLY to Jacmel where he lives.

I keep in touch with my friends there in the DR via FB and WhattsApp so don't feel as if we are far apart.

Reactions: NanSanPedro