Has anyone ever remodeled?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I'm just sitting here surrounded by wrapping paper and remnants of toys that the kids have already thrown to the side. I checked my email and had one from a website I love called houzz.com and there was an article about remodeling. So it just popped in my head that I never hear about remodeling here.
Has anyone here ever remodeled? Bought a cheap house that maybe was the size you wanted but not much else and then fixed it up?
I'm wondering how the process would be here...changing the floors, kitchen cabinets and countertops...do they even know how to remodel here? And why wouldn't more people do it?
I would assume buying something economical and then remodeling would be much cheaper than building, but all you hear about is building here.
Hmmmmm.... I mean, I've seen tons of economically priced homes that have awful looking floors, windows, appliances, etc. (you know, cosmetic stuff) that I would think would be easy to remodel.
Just reading that article made me think, I was just wondering why I never heard of anyone remodeling here, wondering if anyone had an experience with it.

That's all. Back to my email.

SHALENA

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It happens all the time. We bought our house in a good state, but not our taste and are remodeling room by room at our pace. (our wallet's pace).

My brother in law bought an old apartment in Jardines del Embajador. A very ugly building inside a beautiful garden (park is a better word). He remodeled his apartment completely before moving in. The younger generation Dominicans is actually doing that before they move in into a not new place.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I agree that a lot of it goes on. There are plenty of people who will replace floors and make kitchen units and tops to order. Or you can go to Ikea and get standard kitchen units.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that everyone who buys a "used" house remodels. we bought ours from a family of very filthy gringos. had to break down bathrooms and replace them completely, they were gross beyond believe. changed floors. put in new windows and doors. made all new kitchen cabinets. replaced rotten wood wardrobe doors with floor to ceiling mirror doors. we also remodeled the garden taking out the total of 9 trucks full of rubbish. including normal rubbish those charming folks threw not in the trash bin but just on into the overgrown shrubs.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Oh, wow. So it is done more often than I hear about. Do you think it is cheaper that way? Or if you all had to do it again would you just have built to your own specifications?

SHALENA

P.S. Filthy gringos??? Say it ain't so!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I bought a large house in Arroyo Hondo 16 years ago.
It had "Good Bones", large yard, in an area I liked.
I paid $80,000 and spent $60,000 to make it "NICE"!
After 16 years, it now needs a little "Touch Up", but I'm "Dominicanized" now so "F#*K THAT"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
The remodle was not difficult.
You just have to be a "Hard A$$" with the Dominicanos doing the work.
They will try anything, and everything to do it "Their Way", at "Their Price", which they will want to continuously INCREASE!!!
You have to "Stay Ahead" of them with the costs.
If they have more money in their pocket than the amount of work they have finished, they stop working!
"Carrot & Stick" is the only way to keep them moving ahead.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I bought a large house in Arroyo Hondo 16 years ago.
It had "Good Bones", large yard, in an area I liked.
I paid $80,000 and spent $60,000 to make it "NICE"!
After 16 years, it now needs a little "Touch Up", but I'm "Dominicanized" now so "F#*K THAT"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
The remodle was not difficult.
You just have to be a "Hard A$$" with the Dominicanos doing the work.
They will try anything, and everything to do it "Their Way", at "Their Price", which they will want to continuously INCREASE!!!
You have to "Stay Ahead" of them with the costs.
If they have more money in their pocket than the amount of work they have finished, they stop working!
"Carrot & Stick" is the only way to keep them moving ahead.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I was waiting to hear from you!!! LOL

SHALENA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Merry Christmas" to the "King Clan"!!!!
My "Clan" left for "Moca" VERY early this morning to visit the other part of the family.
I'm STILL trying to digest all the PORK I ate last night!
To make room for "Left Overs"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I see several Roast Pork Sandwiches in my NEAR Future.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we bought our place well below market value. even with the changes made it still paid off. and was faster than building our own house. we may move one day and i really do not care much whether we build from scratch, remodel or buy raw and finish it. actually no, scratch them. i am not sure about building. i like too many ideas all at once. probably it would be more peaceful to work with already existing structure.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I bought a new condo at a deep discount in 2004 and have been slooooowly replacing the crap fittings that came with it.

The developer was dumping inventory to raise capital for his next project. I know his son and they took a bath during the Hipolimoto that unleashed an economic tsunami. They recovered and continue to build apartment projects successfully.

i think that everyone who buys a "used" house remodels. we bought ours from a family of very filthy gringos...

Sometimes when filthy gringos move out they leave their dogs behind.

24l3hoh.jpg

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Chip is the man you want to advise you when you are ready to look at properties.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Actually, not looking at anything right now, just was wondering.
I need to slow my life down before I get involved with a-n-y-thing

SHALENA

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I bought a house then remodeled it, which ended up pretty much being a complete tear down and I still didn't end up with everything the way I really wanted it. I wouldn't do that again. Depending on how much you're going to change it, if it's a lot I would only buy an old house if I really, really like the location and probably would tear the whole thing down and start anew. I think most times it's cheaper to do it from scratch.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I bought a house then remodeled it, which ended up pretty much being a complete tear down and I still didn't end up with everything the way I really wanted it. I wouldn't do that again. Depending on how much you're going to change it, if it's a lot I would only buy an old house if I really, really like the location and probably would tear the whole thing down and start anew. I think most times it's cheaper to do it from scratch.

I'm in agreement. We ended up remodeling a house and adding a second floor, all due to the lot being in the right location. Having to work around the existing structure limited the changes we could do on the first floor. If I go do a do-over I'd just demolish the whole damn thing and start from scratch.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We bought our land about 35 years ago, when the kids were little we used to camp there, was nice near the beach. One year we got there and found out my mother-in-law decided to start building a house so she could go there on the weekend. :surprised

Very small, not where we would have wanted it built, etc. Long story short, we were stuck with it, because God forbid we would have said anything or done anything except finish paying for it. A few years ago I decided it was time to do something. Anything. We built an extension for a new large kitchen, which turned out wonderful. Changed tile floor in areas. Ordered new caoba doors, trim and closets. [MIL turned her nose up, and refused to even look into the kitchen] House still very small, so we built a large [35' x 20'] raised, enclosed back patio, which is where we "live" when not sleeping. All pretty painless, once you eliminate the "dealing with Dominican contractors" from the equation.

If we ever sell it, I swear that I will only buy something if I love it the way it is already.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah, I was thinking about a house being in a location you like, with the M2 of land that is good, but thinking "if only these God awful floors were different" or "Why didnt they put a jacuzzi tub in here?" or "there's nowhere to sit out here out back and there's so much room to put a patio, what were they thinking?" or even "Am I the only one that hates these Dominican windows?" type of things.
Definitely if someone is wanting to change the whole layout of the house, then I would guess building is better. But ovr the years, building has lessened in appeal for me. Buying a solar for God knows how much and then all the cost and craziness of building doesn't give me happy thoughts anymore.
I do still have the "want my own house" itch but I'm much slower with it now, thinking next year or two. Midwifery school is my first hurdle to finish (almost done!).
But it's nice to know that there have been some remodeling jobs that at least turned out halfway decent here. HGTV is my favorite channel and luckily I can enter even a dungeon and see its potential.

SHALENA

P.S. Plus, my desire for a McMansion has all but faded away. I'd prefer a smaller house, but with top of the line stuff.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yeah, I was thinking about a house being in a location you like, with the M2 of land that is good, but thinking "if only these God awful floors were different" or "Why didnt they put a jacuzzi tub in here?" or "there's nowhere to sit out here out back and there's so much room to put a patio, what were they thinking?" or even "Am I the only one that hates these Dominican windows?" type of things.
Definitely if someone is wanting to change the whole layout of the house, then I would guess building is better. But ovr the years, building has lessened in appeal for me. Buying a solar for God knows how much and then all the cost and craziness of building doesn't give me happy thoughts anymore.
I do still have the "want my own house" itch but I'm much slower with it now, thinking next year or two. Midwifery school is my first hurdle to finish (almost done!).
But it's nice to know that there have been some remodeling jobs that at least turned out halfway decent here. HGTV is my favorite channel and luckily I can enter even a dungeon and see its potential.

SHALENA

P.S. Plus, my desire for a McMansion has all but faded away. I'd prefer a smaller house, but with top of the line stuff.

I'm a big fan of Houzz as well, and used to watch " this old house " faithfully . I have renovated/rebuilt two houses almost completely by myself despite my limited carpentry skills. You are only limited by your pocketbook and wallet. Make sure you talk to an experienced person before actually buying a house that you are planning major renovations to though because you idea might involve removing a structural support wall.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Damn gringos. My house was once infested with them. Very hard to get rid of. Had three consultations with three different exterminators. I was at my wits end. Then it dawned on me.... I'll stop paying their insurance and start charging rent......
Worked better than rat poison.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

SHALENA

No, you're not the only one hating Dominican windows. We had a mix of brown glass windows and 'percianas' we almost got rid of the percianas ad changed several brown window frames to white, but it's not at all like I would like it to be (I want the European style wooden window frames. Last time I was at Induca I saw a new style of window frames that almost look like wood. Maybe I'll go for those when changing the front side windows.

I do like houzz, but you have to keep in mind that Dominican contractors always end up doing it different or watering down the quality / termination, even in the half hour you are not looking at them. I completely replaced two
bathrooms this year, they are OK, but I promised myself I wouldn't let 'them' get away with mediocrity, ofcourse when 'they' left ad were paid I did find several things I didn't like.

If we stay here I doubt we'll ever move from where we live since it's the perfect spot, very quiet and still close to everything, but it will at least take two years more to have our house the way want it.