Has anyone formed an SRL with no lawyer?

elbronco718

Mar 11, 2018
Ive found some old threads but things have changed now and I see its possible to form a company online in the DR. Has anyone had any experience and done this successfully?

I'm looking to form a 2-person Dominican LLC or S.R.L. as its called. Any help on how to form an SRL and get the RNC Tax ID without an attorney would be so ideal! Thank you as always!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Ive found some old threads but things have changed now and I see its possible to form a company online in the DR. Has anyone had any experience and done this successfully?

I'm looking to form a 2-person Dominican LLC or S.R.L. as its called. Any help on how to form an SRL and get the RNC Tax ID without an attorney would be so ideal! Thank you as always!
Just my 2 cents but I would rather spend a few bucks on a lawyer who not only knows the "how to" but also the "how not to" as you could probably get it completed correctly but if an error or omission is done it could prove to easily cost more than a lawyer. There is a group highly recommended here on DR1.

Reactions: JD Jones

elbronco718

Mar 11, 2018
Just my 2 cents but I would rather spend a few bucks on a lawyer who not only knows the "how to" but also the "how not to" as you could probably get it completed correctly but if an error or omission is done it could prove to easily cost more than a lawyer. There is a group highly recommended here on DR1.

Any idea how much it costs to form WITH a lawyer?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You first step is visiting this place (all must be done online):

There you can read up on what you’ll need to setup your business name. Then create an account to register your company name and any commercial distinctive like logo, etc

The whole process will take about three weeks and you can pay online as well via the bank.

After you get your Commercial name a marks registered, you need to create the business with a legalized notary letter to the effect. They offer samples of these there as well.

Also need to open a commercial account in the bank with the Onapi registration and copies of the pending registration to Cámara del Comercio.

Just write pending on the RNC section fir these steps. After you get the documents to Cámara del Comercio and your registration is carried out, that’s when you apply for the RNC.

That’s pretty much all there’s to it.

Keep in mind most if not all (notary not included) of the steps will be carried online for the most part. Some minor visits after submitting the paperwork online will be required.

Onapi alone is about 5k depending on marks and business type. Could be more.

It’s pretty straightforward if you are familiar with legal DR Spanish terms on forms.
You can save time and hassle by paying a firm to carry it all for you. It will be more expensive but worth it at the end.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Psalm 23:4

King James Version

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Any help on how to form an SRL and get the RNC Tax ID without an attorney would be so ideal! Thank you as always!

I asked the same question earlier this year ...there is a lot of information here on the subject...and I think someone posted a step by step ‘how-to’ document.

Real life experience? :
One of our clients tried it earlier this year . Someone here mentioned that ‘if you can’t go through the online DIY incorporation in DR yourself....then you are not ready to run business in DR ....’

The process was relatively straightforward and everything was going well until when she was told ...by ONAPI....that she needed to have a Dominican in a senior “Managerial role “ as an employee/shareholder...in order to own run a company in DR....like it or not....

She stopped the process ...and soon took her business elsewhere...she is doing very well in another country with 100% ownership and control of her business....she dodged a bullet if you ask me. ....

...wait ...btw...why is the DR1 page changing so much ...the login screen is not where it used to be ...and where are the emojis..preview button....?😔

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
...wait ...btw...why is the DR1 page changing so much ...the login screen is not where it used to be ...and where are the emojis..preview button....?😔

An upgrade that was installed about a week ago affected some people that way. Try emptying your cache, reopen browser, sign out and back in, etc., sorry ‘bout that.

elbronco718

Mar 11, 2018
I asked the same question earlier this year ...there is a lot of information here on the subject...and I think someone posted a step by step ‘how-to’ document.

Real life experience? :
One of our clients tried it earlier this year . Someone here mentioned that ‘if you can’t go through the online DIY incorporation in DR yourself....then you are not ready to run business in DR ....’

The process was relatively straightforward and everything was going well until when she was told ...by ONAPI....that she needed to have a Dominican in a senior “Managerial role “ as an employee/shareholder...in order to own run a company in DR....like it or not....

She stopped the process ...and soon took her business elsewhere...she is doing very well in another country with 100% ownership and control of her business....she dodged a bullet if you ask me. ....

would love to find this how-to-document. I read english and the website is still confusing

elbronco718

Mar 11, 2018
You first step is visiting this place (all must be done online):

There you can read up on what you’ll need to setup your business name. Then create an account to register your company name and any commercial distinctive like logo, etc

The whole process will take about three weeks and you can pay online as well via the bank.

After you get your Commercial name a marks registered, you need to create the business with a legalized notary letter to the effect. They offer samples of these there as well.

Also need to open a commercial account in the bank with the Onapi registration and copies of the pending registration to Cámara del Comercio.

Just write pending on the RNC section fir these steps. After you get the documents to Cámara del Comercio and your registration is carried out, that’s when you apply for the RNC.

That’s pretty much all there’s to it.

Keep in mind most if not all (notary not included) of the steps will be carried online for the most part. Some minor visits after submitting the paperwork online will be required.

Onapi alone is about 5k depending on marks and business type. Could be more.

It’s pretty straightforward if you are familiar with legal DR Spanish terms on forms.
You can save time and hassle by paying a firm to carry it all for you. It will be more expensive but worth it at the end.
Thank You! That was my main concern, whether this was a 100% online process or if it required me to physically be there. Some people have quoted estimates of $1500 to form a company in the DR, thats insane and sounds criminal....so i assumed that was the correct price.

Feb 7, 2007
everything was going well until when she was told ...by ONAPI....that she needed to have a Dominican in a senior “Managerial role “ as an employee/shareholder...in order to own run a company in DR....

That is absolutely not true and a straightforward lie.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
That is absolutely not true and a straightforward lie.

We thought that it was a strange requirement at the time ....she said ONAPI returned her application with “Debe tener un gestor con domicilio legal en la RD, acreditado por un documento de identidad, y poder.” ....and when she called for clarification she was told that , basically, she had to have a Dominican manager .

It doesn’t matter now anyway...she has since moved on to better things ...and life goes on ....just sharing ONE person’s experience...I’m sure others may have different experiences...

Feb 7, 2007
Gestor...for ONAPI purposes... A person/entity that handles name registration (power of attorney). It can be a lawyer, accountant, or oneself, but must be a DR address. That's all that's to it.