Has anyone heard?

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Protecting your family is a necessity

Someone enters your domain unwanted..... is a unwanted liability. Choice of security is up to the individual. Your family comes first in a firearms are your course of reaction.... proper training is a must for all in a household. I'm a big believer in a firearm to protect your family. Someone comes in my household they will be met.... with a 400 FPS slow-moving Pumpkin ball ...45 The body will take the impact, not like a magnum load.... junk. And then clean up things with the law... after I know my family is safe and secure.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Scandall said:
Hmmm. Yes. But let's put it in perspective. And this comes from a book I just finished...Freakonomics. Interesting read.

Imagine you are a parent and your child has two options on a Saturday afternoon. 1) Visit a friend's house where there is a swimming pool or 2) Visit a friend's house where you know there is a gun in the house.

Most parents would choose the pool. But statistically the child is 100 times more likely to be involved in a serious accident there than the house with the gun. But pool accidents are not very sexy on the evening news.

Obviously, there are other factors that come into play. But I would highly recommend the book if anyoine is interested in economics, statistics etc.

Disagree if you wish.

Scandall

What if they have a gun AND a pool?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As you guys discuss the pros & cons of having a gun, let me say that I feel bad for the Austrian dude who lost his life, but I thank him for ridding this planet of that scurge, who not only was a career criminal, but also robbed some of our very own DR1 members at gunpoint.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Rocky said:
As you guys discuss the pros & cons of having a gun, let me say that I feel bad for the Austrian dude who lost his life, but I thank him for ridding this planet of that scurge, who not only was a career criminal, but also robbed some of our very own DR1 members at gunpoint.

Yeah, but maybe we should "walk in his shoes" before we judge him.

Then again, maybe not.

Scandall

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Several years ago, my son Alan, who happens to have a passion for handguns and target practice, called me to my place in Azua. It was shortly after midnight, and he had just arrived at our penthouse apartment in Santo Domingo after a night of revelry. His tone was hushed and nervous as he told me over the phone that he had heard strange noises as soon as he opened the front door. He swore there was a burglar hiding inside. That weekend, I had brought my entire family to Azua, except Alan, who's not very enthusiastic for the amenities of el campo. I told Alan firmly over the phone that he knew what he had to do, that there were firearms in the premises, and that once he did the job he should call me so that I could arrange for the disposal of the body. He called again about an hour later, and told me that we had been burglarized, that he had locked himself in the bedroom section of the apartment, while the burglar or burglars unloaded everything of value, wrapping them in curtains, and lowering everything to the ground floor outside with cords, after which they made their gateway. After hearing this from Alan, I was dumbstruck, and then I broke out in a screeching tirade. I could not believe my son would act so cowardly... Days later I apologized, and told him that he had made the right decision, under the circumstance...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Conchman said:
Where is Yasica?
Yasica is the first town you go through, as you head South on the tourist road, going to Santiago from Montellano.
It's in a bit of a valley, and there's a speed bump, as you enter town, right in front of a police station.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
!

Scandall said:
I agree with Rellosk about having strict standards. Because of my background and training (9mm up through 155mm Howitzers) it drives me nuts when I see cops...COPS!...walking around like John Wayne with the pistols in their waistbands.....guns are not toys...

As for Larry...he and I have already had this discussion and it will go nowhere so I will not bore him and the rest of you by arguing....suffice it to say that I am glad the Second Amendment exists in the US...

:)

Scandall

as soon as society relaxes its laws to allow "another option to settle a dispute ie guns" then SOME people will elect to use it! Its simple no guns equals no deaths from gun shots! i subscribe to the belief in part that guns dont kill, people kill. We should however keep in mind that not ALL people are mentally stable ALL of the time, and when SOME people are given the chance to use an ' option' like a gun there will be a certain low percentage that choose to do so.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
billyidol said:
Its simple no guns equals no deaths from gun shots

No knives...no deaths/injuries from knives...yada yada yada.

The number of people injured/killed by knives/baseball bats is much higher than the number of those injured/killed by guns.

Yes. Guns are dangerous. But I will never support them being taken away from a person like me just because there is a portion of the population who cannot handle it. The same argument could be made for many things.

We can go round and round on this subject.

Scandall

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Scandall said:
We can go round and round on this subject.
Scandall
Exactly, and nobody's going to change their minds.
It's like abortion, same deal. You could argue 'till you're blue in the face.
The real point is we should be thankful for those, who are willing to put themselves in harm's way, to protect themselves and the rest of the world.
The more violent criminals who are disposed of, the safer life is for us all.
This guy ws the scum of the Earth, and even the cops admitted they didn't want to arrest him, but prefered to try and find where he was living, so he could get shot, eascaping, if you know what I mean.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
heldengebroed said:
Having a gun is one thing but being capable off killing a person is another matter. Only very few are capable off killing (Lucky for us). During the American civil war there were soldiers that stood face to face to the enemy who were shooting at them that loaded their gun 27 times aimed and didn't shoot towards thier enemy who was only a few metres away. If my memory is correct only 3 percent off trained soldiers kill in action.
Greetings Johan

Several years ago, (on November 27th, 1992 to be exact) I watched from my office building in Caracas, from dawn until mid afternoon, a battle unfold. The military airbase of La Carlota had been taken over by insurgents under the command of Gen. Gr?eber Odreman, loyal to jailed Col. Hugo Chavez who had tried a similar stunt less than a year previous. the airfield had been blocked by tanks and the ensuing battle to take over the main command building brought face to face infantrymen from both sides. Heavy machine gun fire ricocheted just above the group of us who tried to take quick glances at the action from inside our building. After about ten hours of ceaseless battle, which included strafing by aircrafts, ended with the surrender of the insurgents, who were made to lie face down by the hundreds in the middle of the airfield. To my astonishment, I detected not one casualty on either side.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:
Several years ago, (on November 27th, 1992 to be exact) I watched from my office building in Caracas, from dawn until mid afternoon, a battle unfold. The military airbase of La Carlota had been taken over by insurgents under the command of Gen. Gr?eber Odreman, loyal to jailed Col. Hugo Chavez who had tried a similar stunt less than a year previous. the airfield had been blocked by tanks and the ensuing battle to take over the main command building brought face to face infantrymen from both sides. Heavy machine gun fire ricocheted just above the group of us who tried to take quick glances at the action from inside our building. After about ten hours of ceaseless battle, which included strafing by aircrafts, ended with the surrender of the insurgents, who were made to lie face down by the hundreds in the middle of the airfield. To my astonishment, I detected not one casualty on either side.

Don't you mean Lieutenant Colonel Chavez?

;)

Scandall

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I see it like this. 2 people shoot each other. One goes to hell and other goes to heaven. One scumbag less on the streets. case closed.
Oh and one UBH more on the street.
AZB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
AZB said:
I see it like this. 2 people shoot each other. One goes to hell and other goes to heaven. One scumbag less on the streets. case closed.
AZB
Not a very stylish way of saying it, but that's more or less it.
If y'all knew what this criminal did to some of our friends, you wouldn't be talking about gun laws, good or bad, but how lucky we are that there are people brave enough to confront and face dangerous criminals, while risking their own lives.
When the criminals start to realize that they may lose their lives, trying to rob us, maybe they will look for new careers.