Hate to sound like an idiot, but....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Haha. I get called Papi everyday by some of the little girl at the school, some of the mothers, and then some of the teenage girls when they are wanting to use my cellphone or go to the colmado....etc. It isn't hard to determine the different connotations for each time it's used. I take none of it seriously. I haven't heard it used as an insult though.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Most of the time I hear parents or relatives refering to little boys as papi when they are asking them to do something. Of course this is much different than Ai Papi!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Well, guess I'll just roll with the punches, as it seems to have so many different connotations.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If she is calling you Papi and her Motoconcho driver Papi, then say Hola to her Dominican boyfriend or your "husband in-law" as Clapton always called Harrison.

Husband in law! Never heard that before, but I like it! Probably a very real situation around these parts!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm never really sure who's Mami/papi and who's Mam? /pap? in a Dominican family. My children say Mami to their mother and Mam? to their grandmother but papi to their grandfather and p?pa (Dutch pronunciation) to me or sometimes papi.

My wife and her siblings also say papi and mam? to their parents and when still alive would call their grandmother mami. So it's all over the place. I'm trying to get my children to say abuelo/abuela to their grandparents but it hasn't worked yet. :laugh:

(Yes I know this topic is about something else)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's what I think..... honey, dear, sweetie...

maybe even, 'Hey Pal'....

all the phrases I hate..........

Add 'Bro' to that list........:pirate:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I'm never really sure who's Mami/papi and who's Mam? /pap? in a Dominican family. My children say Mami to their mother and Mam? to their grandmother but papi to their grandfather and p?pa (Dutch pronunciation) to me or sometimes papi.

My wife and her siblings also say papi and mam? to their parents and when still alive would call their grandmother mami. So it's all over the place. I'm trying to get my children to say abuelo/abuela to their grandparents but it hasn't worked yet. :laugh:

(Yes I know this topic is about something else)

In more than a few families just because Papa is mamas husband does mean he isn't papi as well.

There is one family totally fuked up in my street, la Caleta. Grandad is grandad and dad, and the daughter still lives with the patents. The child is completely screwed up, and the grandmother, both as timid as they come. Grandaddaddy rarely shows his mug, but people know and allow him to come and go from the house unhindered. Although he has taken barrio justice in the past and has several unset broken limbs, severed tendons. Whether related I'm unsure. Not something I'm interested in showinf my interest in.

But I bet this scenario is played out over and over the Island over.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All our nieces and nephews call their fathers Papi and mothers Mami.

I agree that when a woman calls a man who's not her father "Papi" it's a term of endearment, but not necessarily meaning anything very special. My husband uses Mami in the way an American would use Hon/Honey, or when he doesn't know someone's name. For example, at the beach a woman or may come by selling arepa or fruit, and he might call her Mami.

I've heard boys and girl called papito and mamita a lot. My husband is Papa to our grandchildren, I was Mama Grace for a few years and now it's morphed into plain old Grandma.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Eric Clapton married George Harrison's Ex Wife and the two friends then called each other "husbands in law".

Husband in law! Never heard that before, but I like it! Probably a very real situation around these parts!

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Papi has 2 meanings,
what mom will call her son when he is a kid , instead of my hijo. Used out of love, to boost his ego and be sweet. Latino boys will be called this in most latino countries.
Its a street slang for latino men in the hood (puerto rican mostly) as well.
I Dont care for the word as i find it racist coming from a non latino person, again, mostly used by PRicans in ny. For me, at times, its like calling me the N word, its only being used because im latino.
i find it low class to be called this ,as if i was a street drug dealer or something. Picture a junky with a scratchy voice saying "whats up papi, got any of that stuff?"
Its ok to use in bed while getting busy, but thats it!

Pitbull uses it in the song because "hot latin girls" sound sexy saying it. Likely originated from iris chacon or celia cruz , as a sexy thing a spanish girl would say.
David big papi ortiz is stuck with the name, like it or not.
I really hate this word, and only allow to be called it by family.

Chill out Papi.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Mmmmh.

#1. Involves money for sex.

#2. It would make me feel, really, really old.

I hear it a lot, but not directed towards me. ( behind my back I sometimes hear "chulon ", which, I guess is the younger version of papi ).

Also, "querido" or " amor" are used much more often, and IMO , more respectful. ( ie, the lady at the colmado, who is older than my mother, would use it....... a bit like " love " in scotland ).

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I guess it depends on who is using the term. I have heard several DR children call there fathers Papi. I have also heard several hookers use it to describe there " johns" or potential customers.

Jan 9, 2004
And that concludes today's lesson on the use and meaning of "papi."

I can't wait for the various iterations of the other use of papi.....as in "papi chulo" lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Apr 7, 2014
And that concludes today's lesson on the use and meaning of "papi."

I can't wait for the various iterations of the other use of papi.....as in "papi chulo" lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
What does it mean when a woman calls you "pupi"? I suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and the ladies dont call me papi they call me pupi. Whats that about?