Hate to sound like an idiot, but....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sticks and stones...

The significance of a pejorative is something we define for ourselves as individuals. I prefer not to be be referred to as someone's "Bud or Buddy" unless we have some sort of ongoing long standing relationship. That's a personal preference. In most cases when someone uses that phrase it's not meant in a negative way but as a short form salutation. When it is used inappropriately from my perspective, I mention it ("I'm not your Bud") and that person gets to choose a different word for the next time.

Papi, in the DR is used in different circumstances by locals but the only one that comes into play for most of us foreign males is as an informal greeting to someone whose name a local doesn't know. It would not be used to refer to a 20 something year old male but is reserved for foreign males who are clearly past middle age and is used predominately by those at the lower end of the social economic scale.

I do not believe that the use of Papi is intended to be a slight or a derogatory term in and of itself. Probably it's just an easy generic pronoun. If one finds being referred to as Papi insulting, just pointing that out, is enough to cause the individual to adjust their lexicon and the use of se?or is soon to follow.

In short, being referred to as Papi for the most part is not meant to be derogatory but can and probably should be perceived as a term of endearment that my not be appropriate for use at a 1st meeting of two people. if you find the term unsettling, just saying something is enough to stop its use until the next "girl" stops by to ask for bus fare to Santiago..."

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I'm surprised you males get called "Papi" by random males you don't know. That sounds weird!
Is it really "papi" they're calling you, or "PApa" (stress on the first syllable) instead?
This would make more sense!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sticks and stones...

The significance of a pejorative is something we define for ourselves as individuals. I prefer not to be be referred to as someone's "Bud or Buddy" unless we have some sort of ongoing long standing relationship. That's a personal preference. In most cases when someone uses that phrase it's not meant in a negative way but as a short form salutation. When it is used inappropriately from my perspective, I mention it ("I'm not your Bud") and that person gets to choose a different word for the next time.

Papi, in the DR is used in different circumstances by locals but the only one that comes into play for most of us foreign males is as an informal greeting to someone whose name a local doesn't know. It would not be used to refer to a 20 something year old male but is reserved for foreign males who are clearly past middle age and is used predominately by those at the lower end of the social economic scale.

I do not believe that the use of Papi is intended to be a slight or a derogatory term in and of itself. Probably it's just an easy generic pronoun. If one finds being referred to as Papi insulting, just pointing that out, is enough to cause the individual to adjust their lexicon and the use of se?or is soon to follow.

In short, being referred to as Papi for the most part is not meant to be derogatory but can and probably should be perceived as a term of endearment that my not be appropriate for use at a 1st meeting of two people. if you find the term unsettling, just saying something is enough to stop its use until the next "girl" stops by to ask for bus fare to Santiago..."

a word of advice for you. as a foreigner in this country, do not believe that you know anything that has cultural nuances until you are absolutely sure. i lived in the US continuously for over 30 years, and dated numerous Puerto Rican women. i virtually lived in the PR community, but there were always occasions in which i made serious social gaffes, a result of having thought i knew my stuff, but in reality i didn?t. i find it odd for a Canadian to be giving instructions about the use of words that are so culture specific.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Mami's Papi

I heard, that once my wife called our son papi... :laugh:
I hope it's not true...

:rolleyes:

donP

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Sticks and stones...

I think you think too much and ad a result talk a load of crap. On this anyway. You sound like a great laugh on a night out.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Btw, don't forget papo. A big papi.

It connotes affection or familiarity. Like calling someone bro or brother or cuz when not actually related.

Do Cubans use it as frequently as boricuas?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have observed that Papi is usually used by mothers giving their sons a little scolding, like papi stop climbing on that, papi give me my phone, papi say good day, good afternoon...etc, . Kids usually call their Abuelo ...Papi, but I've also had parents say - greet papi...etc when referring to me. The majority of people that know me refer to me by my name, Bob or something close like Bo, Bod, or Bos.
Males that don't know me always say senor or Don, as do most women that don't know who I am.
. Cdn-Gringo is obviously not from the Maritimes of Canada where everyone uses the term bud or buddy to refer to people whose name they don't know or can't remember. Hey buddy pass me a beer...etc. Hey Bud could get the door for me....etc. Any word like this or Papi can be used as an insult but it's not hard to tell when it is being used that way.
To sum up, being called Papi is what it is and is nothing to get insulted about.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
In general I've seen it used as a term of endearment for males within Latin culture across the Caribbean. It may or may not mean anything and should be seen in the context of its use, like almost any word.

Many uses have been described already in this thread but there are many more...

The only negative way that I can think of is it's use to describe Latino males as a group by outsiders, in the example quoted by Kapitan75.. in that instance it is similar to the use of Paddy to describe Irish males or Ni**er to describe those of Afro-American descent.

All other uses i.e. person to person have more or less positive connotations.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
In general I've seen it used as a term of endearment for males within Latin culture across the Caribbean. It may or may not mean anything and should be seen in the context of its use, like almost any word.

Many uses have been described already in this thread but there are many more...

The only negative way that I can think of is it's use to describe Latino males as a group by outsiders, in the example quoted by Kapitan75.. in that instance it is similar to the use of Paddy to describe Irish males or Ni**er to describe those of Afro-American descent.

All other uses i.e. person to person have more or less positive connotations.

Its like going to the hospital, and the staff calling me papi, cause im latino. Jeez, you have my full name in front of you!
I use the term guy, man, dude if im being less formal. Maybe not use dude if its white male with long blond male (hence fast times at ridgmont high surfer dude pothead) to not offend. Brother or my n.. if speaking to a black american. Or even chinito , if asians are around.

Its like a foreigner deciding to use local slang in the campo, people will just look at you funny. For those that remember that scene from airplaine, the movie, where the older caucasion lady starts speaking jive to the 2 african american passengers, it got lots of laughs for a reason.

So in proper usage , its ok for your son, nephews, its ok in bed with your man for some sexy talk (especially if he is older), its ok for your own father, but could come of un cool when you are trying to talk cool, get it!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Its like going to the hospital, and the staff calling me papi, cause im latino. Jeez, you have my full name in front of you!
I use the term guy, man, dude if im being less formal. Maybe not use dude if its white male with long blond male (hence fast times at ridgmont high surfer dude pothead) to not offend. Brother or my n.. if speaking to a black american. Or even chinito , if asians are around.

Its like a foreigner deciding to use local slang in the campo, people will just look at you funny. For those that remember that scene from airplaine, the movie, where the older caucasion lady starts speaking jive to the 2 african american passengers, it got lots of laughs for a reason.

So in proper usage , its ok for your son, nephews, its ok in bed with your man for some sexy talk (especially if he is older), its ok for your own father, but could come of un cool when you are trying to talk cool, get it!

Speaking of which I have lots of Dominican guys call me Hermano, and it's common in Canada amongst even white guys to call each other bro or brother. I have not called any Dominican guy Papi, even kids.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
And there are some who refuse to call a man "papi".....

[video=youtube;G7_J4oGrQ2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_J4oGrQ2o[/video]

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
And another variation of brother, our country man, primo is very popular amongst dominicans only, like cousin is used in the south. Deep rooted meaning in the DR, especially in the cibao. We all cousins, in some shape or form, in the campo. Dom yorks use it when we spot each other around the state, other latino races use primo for dominicans, paisa for colombians, paison for italians, wey for mexicans, etc. These words have a stigma , only attached because of etnic orgin.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
this thread is fascinating.. it is like a window and very telling who has a lot of experience in the DR and really know what they are talking about, and who is just blowing smoke..
There are no rules, its all in the context and who is saying it to who . much like the use use Conjo, Tiguere, or Negrita , and Primo, Prima as Kapitan just pointed out.. or even Gringo.. just words. but use them wrong and you could look the fool or at very least Phoney or condescending.

and whatever you do.. dont ever say mama guevo.. unless you a dominican talking to another dominican you know all your life ...cuz thats the ultimate " now go get your shine box" phrase that will go bad real fast.. LMAO

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as gorgon points out -

read it, live it, soak it up all you want....

you'll still flunk the acid test unless you're embedded in the culture

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
as gorgon points out -

read it, live it, soak it up all you want....

you'll still flunk the acid test unless you're embedded in the culture

absolutely. this is not academics. if you have doubts about the use of a word, don?t use it. don?t ever take advice from people who think they have it figured out.

Aug 6, 2006
Now you are Haitian or you got that from WIKI?

Actually, I noticed that Miami Haitians call one another mami and papi all the time. When I go to the Presidente Supermarket in North Miami, I get called papi.
As a linguist, I notice things like this.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
A father/mother can call their son papi. example.. Papi ve a buscar la pelota
A cashier can call a man papi.. Example:? Papito va a pagar por esos articulos ?
It is a term of endearment, same as going to a Mcdonald's and the sassy cashier
might say: You can pay for that here hun!...just go with it and enjoy it.

big-papi-mw-jpg.jpg