Hate to sound like an idiot, but....

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
this thread is fascinating.. it is like a window and very telling who has a lot of experience in the DR and really know what they are talking about, and who is just blowing smoke..
There are no rules, its all in the context and who is saying it to who . much like the use use Conjo, Tiguere, or Negrita , and Primo, Prima as Kapitan just pointed out.. or even Gringo.. just words. but use them wrong and you could look the fool or at very least Phoney or condescending.

and whatever you do.. dont ever say mama guevo.. unless you a dominican talking to another dominican you know all your life ...cuz thats the ultimate " now go get your shine box" phrase that will go bad real fast.. LMAO

and to think, all this time, me thinking she was asking me to do something sexy.
Where was DR1 seven years ago? could have saved me a lot of wasted time and $$

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
In 7 years you'd have thought you'd be pretty fluent in native tongue to not need DR1:cross-eye

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Not fluent at all, given the fact that I didn't live in the dr, but made trips to the TCI and DR several times per year. I struggle to this day, but am continually learning.
I needed DR1 to help me avoid the pitfalls I'd taken; being unfamiliar with Dominican culture and it's nuances. Hard and expensive lesson to learn, but I am now smarter, wiser, and vow not to buy the cow again.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Never thought the word papi could generate 7 pages.

Should I start a new thread for mami :laugh:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
interesting read and 66 posts already, wow.
specially interesting to read some "knowledge" of some who clearly never really lived in a dominican 'hood, evenif they may live in the country since years.
the first price of all jokes of course goes to Canadian Gringo again, we can't beat that "knowledge about everything", lol.
and then there is of course the large number of people who are dominicans or at least live in a real dominican neighbourhood/with dominican family or are married to a dominican spouse and raise kids, and they got it right.
in my surroundings, including my own family, the kiddies cal their father Papi, and quiet often the small boys are called Papi by their parents or other adults familiar with 'em.
adult males are often called Papi by same aged males and females, but usually by those who know each others well, it is less common between strangers.
when used outside of the father-children situation, the meaning of Papi depends on the specific situation and who calls it to whom.
when Rollout is sitting at a beach bar and a girl takes the next seat and tells him "hola Papi", then it sure has nothing to do with any bloodline relations(yet).
when Rollout is the next on turn at the supermarket or Colmado cashier, the girl at the cashier may say "venga Papi/dime Papi" to get his attention to tell him "it's your turn now", without any Barside intentions involved.
Papa and Mama i know only as the terms to call the grandparents.
i often realized the change from calling the own mother Mami to use then Mama when the females have own children, they teach their child to call Granny Mama and so do often they themselves, becoming the Mami themselves and turning the mother into Mama.
interesting topi, tho, it is something used/heard on daily bases many times, without ever thinking about it. i guess it's the way to learn a language other than in schoolclasses, such stuff comes automatiocally over the years.

Mike

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
And, not to take this thread on another turn, but this whole motoconcho thing has me all twisted. I understand the concept, but when I see chicas with legs wrapped around some dude who's giving them a ride on his 250cc it simply blows me away. I guess its part of a culture I will never comprehend

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not so sure... they get those skirts pretty high...

the older women go side saddle, the younger one straddle - from what I see

Aug 6, 2006
In Barahona, where motoconchos are 95% or more of all public transportation, women with pants straddle the moto, women wearing skirts ride sidesaddle. As a rule, women who wear skirts tend to be older.
The average motoconcho is 100 to 175 cc. 250 cc motoconchos are rare.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Tanga Lure

...the older women go side saddle, the younger one straddle - from what I see

Correct... :laugh:

dontildea_tanga_zpso1l6inwa.jpg

donP

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I suggest we take this thread back to its original premise. I'm sure you hate to sound like an idiot.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Unfair !!!

interesting read and 66 posts already, wow.
specially interesting to read some "knowledge" of some who clearly never really lived in a dominican 'hood, evenif they may live in the country since years.
the first price of all jokes of course goes to Canadian Gringo again, we can't beat that "knowledge about everything", lol.

Mike

You will be happy to find out I wrote a 10 pages dissertation on all the names I have been called in DR which covers the use of morena vs negra, Mami, and terms related to body parts.

So, I get the price !!! :laugh:

And, I am just a tourist :bandit:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Never thought the word papi could generate 7 pages.

Should I start a new thread for mami :laugh:

Yep.

This one is cooked.

I will leave you with this note:

Ay mami!!:nervous:

[video=youtube;AkIIV1NwPV4]x[/video]