Have need to rent hospital bed

I

InsanelyOne

I’m hoping the expat community can come through for me on this one. I have an 89 year old family member who is currently in hospital (Hospital IMG) but in reality needs hospice care. There is not much more the hospital can do and he just needs to be cared for in his last days at home. We need to get a hospital bed and oxygen machine. I’m really at a loss how to accomplish that down here. The “patient advocate” (not sure of her exact title) has been incredibly helpful and is actively looking into this. She speaks fluent English and has lived in the US so I’m not feeling any kind of cultural disconnect in dealing with her. With all that said, the hospital is rather stymied by the whole thing. It’s as though they’ve never had to deal with this kind of situation before. When I ask they just kind of stare blankly and shrug. Does no-one in the DR set up in home hospice care? Is this just not a thing down here?

The logistics/cost of getting the patient back to the US is pretty much out of the question. We want to get him home and comfortable for his remaining time.

Can anyone recommend any resources for accomplishing this? The patient lives in Cocotol. We will also need a nursing aide to come once a day.

Any help is appreciated.

W

william webster

Have you talked to your local clinic ?

They might be able to help with a nurse and even a bed
Although SD or SDQ might offer better bed rentals

Surely your current hospital will turn up something

H

Harleysrock

Have you checked out Farmaconal? They have medical supply stuff but I am not sure if they rent out beds as well. i know i saw some for sale the last time i was there? If they don't rent it maybe ask them if they know who could help you?
I'm sorry you have to go through this.

I

InsanelyOne

Thanks everyone. Yes, this is an insane experience I wish upon no one.

C

cobraboy

I’m hoping the expat community can come through for me on this one. I have an 89 year old family member who is currently in hospital (Hospital IMG) but in reality needs hospice care. There is not much more the hospital can do and he just needs to be cared for in his last days at home. We need to get a hospital bed and oxygen machine. I’m really at a loss how to accomplish that down here. The “patient advocate” (not sure of her exact title) has been incredibly helpful and is actively looking into this. She speaks fluent English and has lived in the US so I’m not feeling any kind of cultural disconnect in dealing with her. With all that said, the hospital is rather stymied by the whole thing. It’s as though they’ve never had to deal with this kind of situation before. When I ask they just kind of stare blankly and shrug. Does no-one in the DR set up in home hospice care? Is this just not a thing down here?

The logistics/cost of getting the patient back to the US is pretty much out of the question. We want to get him home and comfortable for his remaining time.

Can anyone recommend any resources for accomplishing this? The patient lives in Cocotol. We will also need a nursing aide to come once a day.

Any help is appreciated.
Home care and Hospice was my business in the states for many years, as well as DME/O2. There is no equivalent in the DR.

Harley mentioned a company that may be able to help, Farmaconal. I've been in two of their retail outlets, one in on the second floor of the professional building at HOMS and the other on 27 Febrero in Santiago, and they seem to be a full-line DME-style store. I will bet they have beds and can hook you up with either tank O2 or an O2 concentrator.

B

bob saunders

Any help is appreciated.

https://servicio.mercadolibre.com.do/MRD-410664591-camas-de-tres-funciones-_JM

https://santo-domingo.wanuncios.com/vendo-cama-de-hospital-137-326375.html

and check these links https://www.livio.com/directorio/salud/equipo-y-material-hospitalario/

C

Chirimoya

If IMG can't provide the facilities or advice at the very least, try calling Punta Cana Doctors in PC Village. More details via PM.

C

cobraboy

Home care and Hospice was my business in the states for many years, as well as DME/O2. There is no equivalent in the DR.

Harley mentioned a company that may be able to help, Farmaconal. I've been in two of their retail outlets, one in on the second floor of the professional building at HOMS and the other on 27 Febrero in Santiago, and they seem to be a full-line DME-style store. I will bet they have beds and can hook you up with either tank O2 or an O2 concentrator.
If your family member needs 02, Dr. Nicolás Batlle, pulmonologist at HOMS is as good as they come. Oddly enough, he went to the same US engineering university where Mom CB was an administrator. Small world.

R

Riva_31

Talking with a local clinic Im sure they can rent you what you need, and provide you the Oxigen supply, also contract the nurses you need, as you are in Tourist area the cheapest that will ask you a nurse will be arround 40,000.00 pesos per month, 3 years ago we though about that posibility for the last days of my mother and a nurse asked for 20,000.00 and we were not living in tourist area, that was Dominican price.