Have you noticed the traffic????

Status
Not open for further replies.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
May is suppose be the quiet time. But there is more traffic than ever (or is just me??). I was trying to make a left out of NEXT gas this afternoon, took five minutes. Then at Super Polo back up a few 100 yards, another 5 minutes just to pass the light. Parking in Sosua is a nightmare (esp in afternoon)

In the morning going to Sosua there is tons of cars, motos, guagua's, ttrucks (big and small). I really try hard to find outlets then dont turn against the traffic for each time its rolling the dice, an I crazy or what is going on???

singletravel

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
More people have cars. Financing is easier to get. If you notice, many younger woman are driving these days thanks to their papi chulo.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I can't imagine how congested the roads will be when all travel opens up after covid goes away. I'm thinking one of those big 6X6 trucks and just drive over the ones that get in your way.

Actually I was looking at the 6X6 before covid hit lol

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Just like many other cities, the roads were created when there were fewer cars and was never meant for this amount of traffic. My wife works in Batey and when going back home it takes her literally 30-40 minutes to drive back to Los Castillos that normally should only take around 5 minutes, but because traffic is so heavy after 5 pm it takes her that time. And also the fact that you have one lane roads that many thinks it's possible to fit 3 cars each lane 🙄 they should really try to fix some alternative roads to ease the traffic jams, especially when they are repairing the roads.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've noticed the traffic is much heavier in just the course of one year, too. I had to wait just to get out of the Super Pola parking lot yesterday afternoon because there was so much traffic on that little side street going to the traffic light.

I try to avoid having to turn left out of any plaza or business on the main highway in Sosua. Very hard to find an opening. I'll frequently just turn right in the opposite direction of where I want to go and look for somewhere to get turned back around. Easier and faster most times.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I drive to work every day at 5:30am and home at 3:30pm just to make my drive bearable.

My morning drive takes less than 15 minutes; the afternoon drive can take up to 40 minutes.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I noticed the same, 19 years living here. And yes I also noticed a big difference the last couple of years. I always heard people complaining about Cabarete, but yeah now going through Sosua is a pain in the a$$. A dream would be (if the bypass of Cabarete ever happen...) to have a bypass of Sosua also. But yeah I guess I should keep on dreaming.

Reactions: Seamonkey

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
so why??? what happened in the last year that made all this traffic??? I dont believe its the "papi chulo" buying cars for their partners (although an interesting thought) :unsure::unsure:

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
so why??? what happened in the last year that made all this traffic??? I dont believe its the "papi chulo" buying cars for their partners (although an interesting thought) :unsure::unsure:
You don't believe it? I know several girls that have gotten cars from their gringos. I'm talking brand new Honda CRV's and other slightly used SUV's. They aren't asking for new cell phones and clothes anymore. Look around next time and see who is driving those vehicles.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Loans are also easier to get although interest is still quite high. It's not just in the last year, but in the past 4-5 years. As far as the motos, the Chinese motos are very cheap and many buy them on a daily loan. They have to pay 200 pesos each day to the seller.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
In Santiago the traffic is starting to look like Santo Domingo...to many cars are being imported...to stop this would be almost impossible as the government gets 40% or more on import tax of cars...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Now when you get a car loan from a bank they install a GPS that you pay for on the car . Late on payment, goodbye car.....................

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's not only the number of cars that seems to have increased in just this past year during a pandemic when so many people were supposedly out of work and or not making as much money as before that is surprising, but also the number of motos. They're like a swarm of locusts out on the streets now.

If the number of cars and motos continue to increase at the same rate as they did this past year, Sosua will be one huge traffic jam in just another year or two.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
You don't believe it? I know several girls that have gotten cars from their gringos. I'm talking brand new Honda CRV's and other slightly used SUV's. They aren't asking for new cell phones and clothes anymore. Look around next time and see who is driving those vehicles.
I hope my GF doesn't read DR1, she happy asking for a iphone (12 of course, hahaaha). She's still waiting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Seamonkey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Now when you get a car loan from a bank they install a GPS that you pay for on the car . Late on payment, goodbye car.....................
I just bought a car and financed it. I will have to ask about the GPS. What did surprise me at how many questions the dealer asked on their form about your financial income, money source, ...etc.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would think it would have the opposite effect?? Curious why???
People are sick of being confined in the DR, EU and North America . In years past we had zero clients in April in our apartments. This we were were full and still have clients. Normally those clients were kite surfers at this time of the year, this year none of them are kiters. There people are just looking to be somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.