Having contract work (hand assembly ) work done in free zone?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Are there companies in the free zone that do work such as subject thread for small jobs for people that are not the biggies of the world? Or, are all the companies that operate out of the FZ do just proprietary work?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Are there companies in the free zone that do work such as subject thread for small jobs for people that are not the biggies of the world? Or, are all the companies that operate out of the FZ do just proprietary work?
Lots of them do contract work, but it depends on what the small job.

For the most part anything they produce must be exported.

Reactions: CristoRey

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Lots of them do contract work, but it depends on what the small job.

For the most part anything they produce must be exported.
What is the "average" houly rate for non-technical hand work. Example: Applying a color chip to a swatch card.Or, an appliqué to a high end brochure.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
What is the "average" houly rate for non-technical hand work. Example: Applying a color chip to a swatch card.Or, an appliqué to a high end brochure.
Totally depends on the amount to be done. The majority of free zone work is non-technical hand work so it would be the minimum wage.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Totally depends on the amount to be done. The majority of free zone work is non-technical hand work so it would be the minimum wage.
Well, that would be minimum wage paid to workers by contractor. Then he will resell. So if he pays $1.00 /hour (?) would the resale price be $1.50 ? (Just as an example and I understand your ..."depends. )

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Well, that would be minimum wage paid to workers by contractor. Then he will resell. So if he pays $1.00 /hour (?) would the resale price be $1.50 ? (Just as an example and I understand your ..."depends. )
I've seen anywhere from rate plus 115 -150%.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
LOL. Typical estimating depending on how many mouths he needs to feed tomorrow. I get the picture. Many thanks.
Different manufacturing facilities have different overhead to cover. The rent in my free zone is less than half than in one of the big private free zones.

I'd assume you'd want to go with one of the smaller guys in a public free zone so you could probably nail down the 115%.

Why would you consider a free zone?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Different manufacturing facilities have different overhead to cover. The rent in my free zone is less than half than in one of the big private free zones.

I'd assume you'd want to go with one of the smaller guys in a public free zone so you could probably nail down the 115%.

Why would you consider a free zone?
Just knocking around a few ideas as if I didn't have enough irons in the fire. LOL

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Just knocking around a few ideas as if I didn't have enough irons in the fire. LOL
If it were a one shot deal I would go out and look for a neighborhood padre de familia who is out of work and swing a deal with him.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If it were a one shot deal I would go out and look for a neighborhood padre de familia who is out of work and swing a deal with him.
Does this type of person have a work space? Long tables? A crew? Experience?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If it's not complicated/sophisticated....
start thinking outside the box

Schools, charities......and the like
Lindsay Kaufman's group

In Canada , When I was in the printing business,
we used the blind, the schools for the 'underperformers'.... for repetitive work
Anything like that......

A traditional manufacturing facility may not be right for the job

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Does this type of person have a work space? Long tables? A crew? Experience?
Just making suggestions for you. You said non-technical handwork and a lot of it would depend on the complexity. But never doubt the ability of a Dominican to adapt to a situation.

I did a project for a company once that required the reworking of 200K small aluminum rings. I grabbed a local kid who had worked for me before, and it took him 2 days to find the warm bodies.

I had 30 guys around 3 tables made of plywood sheets on stacked pallets for about 2 months. Piece of cake.

The company was ecstatic because they would have been required to toss the whole lot if they couldn't have fixed the problem.

What they paid me for the project was a drop in the bucket.

See where I'm going with this?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Entry-level Free Zone jobs in Moca currently start at about $70 a week/ working 6 days a week.
I doubt the non-technical positions pay much more in (pick a city) other Free Zones.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I always thought to work in a free trade zone it was a shop set up with a specific purposes, ie a large contract to fulfill or owned by a company like Hanes. I would suggest going to one and talk to someone who know. For sure, 100% has to be exported.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I always thought to work in a free trade zone it was a shop set up with a specific purposes, ie a large contract to fulfill or owned by a company like Hanes. I would suggest going to one and talk to someone who know. For sure, 100% has to be exported.
A company can sell up to 20% of their products locally, but it has to be approved by a bunch of agencies and there are a ton of hoops to jump through.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The whole idea of free zones is to import raw materials tax-free, provide employment to add value then export it again.