He asked me," Is it OK if I call in a Haitian"

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am in full renovation of a house where a lot of construction debris must be moved. Currently my contractor is working on one of the baths on the second floor. He jack hammered all of the existing floor and walls yesterday and there was a giant pile of concrete and ceramic to be be carted away.

THis morning I got a call and he asked if it was ok if he called in a Haitian to assist in moving this debris. I'm glad that I have kept up with the news on Haitian/DR relationships and I found his question ... well, odd but respectful. I told him it was OK with me.

Is this a sign of the times to come I wonder?

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I am in full renovation of a house where a lot of construction debris must be moved. Currently my contractor is working on one of the baths on the second floor. He jack hammered all of the existing floor and walls yesterday and there was a giant pile of concrete and ceramic to be be carted away.

THis morning I got a call and he asked if it was ok if he called in a Haitian to assist in moving this debris. I'm glad that I have kept up with the news on Haitian/DR relationships and I found his question ... well, odd but respectful. I told him it was OK with me.

Is this a sign of the times to come I wonder?
This might have more to it than you think.... If the Haitian is ilegal and breaks his neck at your project, than he might own your house after his lawyer is done with you. Respond to your Contractor "that he is solely responsible for his employees, their insurance and legality " and send it to him by Whatsapp so that you have proof. Than you can call him again and tell him that you don't care. But the official version must be your whatsapp response.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
This might have more to it than you think.... If the Haitian is ilegal and breaks his neck at your project, than he might own your house after his lawyer is done with you. Respond to your Contractor "that he is solely responsible for his employees, their insurance and legality " and send it to him by Whatsapp so that you have proof.
I have now learned that contractors in DR have liability insurance

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Most of them don't !, but that's not your problem. Just make sure that you insinst on it and you are in the green should anything happen.
Every decent lawyer has a form for this ocassion. Let the Contractor sign it and you are good. Believe me, this is money well spend. All the nurses in the emergencys frecuented by Haitians have business cards of lawyers in their pocket for their "Costumers" and they will make your life miserable.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This might have more to it than you think.... If the Haitian is ilegal and breaks his neck at your project, than he might own your house after his lawyer is done with you. Respond to your Contractor "that he is solely responsible for his employees, their insurance and legality " and send it to him by Whatsapp so that you have proof. Than you can call him again and tell him that you don't care. But the official version must be your whatsapp response.
This is NOT going to happen. Let's leave at that.Mas or meno family.
I appreciate yout thoughts but I have strong ties with everyone that works in my house and the tile setter is respecting me. That invaluable.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have one Haitian friend in Santiago who is afraid to go to work. He's about 30 or so. Not sure how he is going to survive.
Quite honestly the only way is by working for someone that will give him quasi protection...IF here is something like that.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Maybe it's just me but I really can't see where anything on "WhatsApp" would be legally binding.
Me neither but I have come across this several times with real estate agents. I emailed her and asked for info on a listing. She said you need to send me a WhatsApp. I said BS. She never sent info. Another real estate...on FB will only respond via WhatsApp.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
why not it works for all those FB declarations about the use of people's photos;):D
Here you are wrong. What's app messages are legally binding. Do not have the same value as a Notarized contract but are cstill accepted as an agreement. Friend of mine just won a Lawsuite about more than 100K US based on whatsapp evidence.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Here you are wrong. What's app messages are legally binding. Do not have the same value as a Notarized contract but are cstill accepted as an agreement. Friend of mine just won a Lawsuite about more than 100K US based on whatsapp evidence.
Throw us some links Manny. Need some proof. Hard to believe. Maybe a disclosure statement from WAS?

Reactions: keepcoming

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

Maybe we should move this to the legal forum??? Why? Because the DR is different than any country, city or state in the universe.
There is no way on God's green Earth that any court here in the Banana Republica would uphold anything pacted over wassssssaaaaaaa

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Stop comparing how the legal system works in the US with how it works in DR. The only legal system that works here is a) a scary lawyer and/or b) a pile of cash.

And as far as I'm concerned, if an illegal Haitian got seriously injured, the police wouldn't give a flying one. I can't quite see the courts caring either, none of the Dominicans I have ever come across give a toss about Haitians. I just don't buy this "they'll sue you" business. I do think anyone with property here should get insurance against third party liability, which would cover you in this case anyway, but that's another matter.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

By the way, notarized contracts are often not binding in this wonderful country. So many people have tales of how they were sold something and then someone else said "that's mine" and because they were more powerful they got it. It's the wild west. If you try to play by the rules of more civilised countries, I can say you will almost certainly have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.