He Got The Call!!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
This isn't her fianc?e it's her husband and if they only need to interview him and she has to wait outside why spend the money?
I realize they are married, but one of the purposes of the interview is to check the validity of the relationship. I was told that if the interviewer sees the couple together, it helps. (Unless of course the relationship is feigned).

BTW, in the scheme of things it doesn't matter, I don't know of anyone (with a real relationship) that was denied a visa once they got to the interview stage. In my case I didn't want to take any chances.

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
haiti? what does haiti has to do with sto domingo and canadian consulate?

The Canadian Embassy in Port-au-Prince, Haiti handles all the immigration applications for DR and a couple of other countries. The embassy in SD deals with the visa stuff and the interviews for the PR of the people from DR.

Isabelle, sorry, I ment to try and answer your question, but I would have to agree with Anna, some do and some don't. From what I have read though, most do. Maybe because my husband had the wrong birth certificate and needed the letter was why he got one, or just because.

Kim

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
KImmygirl

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am getting married next month. SO I will have to start testing him. He knows a lot about me but he has no memory for dates...but hey practive makes perfect.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Anna you are correct! Such a wise woman you are! ;)

I guess I'll wait to see if Orlando gets a call, and if he does, I'll FedEx the birthcertificate I have here with me...or else I'll take it back with me in Nov. when I go, if he doesn't get a call before then.

I feel as though Cdn Embassy in Haiti and Cdn Immigration in Cda, and the Sto Domingo consulate for Cda are all parts of my family b/c of the dealings I have had, or will have in the near future.....and it's a part of the family I would like to forget about hahaha! (The black sheep, so to speak ;) )

Muchas Gracias Kimmygirl for all your help and insight, has definately helped Orlando and I prepare for the upcoming events! haha

As well gracias Trina for your list of questions as well, will definately help Orlando for his BIG EXAM that he will have with Immigration. He thinks these little tests I give him are too funny...wait until he gets the FINAL EXAM! LOL

We will see if he graduates! hahahaha!

lisa

Last edited:

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
KImmygirl

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am getting married next month. SO I will have to start testing him. He knows a lot about me but he has no memory for dates...but hey practive makes perfect.

Isabelle, Congrats and hang in there. It is a long, bumpy road!! I said to my husband the night before the interview, "Do you love me?...Then don't worry, you will be fine". There are three things related to immigration: security, a real relationship, and the most important thing...MONEY, MONEY AND MONEY!

Kim

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
In case some of you girls haven't read it this might be a good time to read
http://www.dr1.com/forums/men-mars-women-venus/42010-relocating-dominican-101-a.html and preparing for the next big step. ;)

Thanks Anna. I have read most of it and it is very helpful. I think about the stuff Trina wrote all of the time. This is the biggest change in my life and I want to make sure that I do the best job I can as a wife and to not turn out to be a stat. I often think about "what would I be like if I moved to the DR to be with him?" and I don't think that I could leave my family let alone to live the way they do. The best thing Oscar and I have going is that we are able to tell each other anything. If things get a little heated one day, we talk about it the next day and for some reason we are both saying sorry! He always says to me "If you and me communication too much, me and you together forever."

Kim

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Kimmygirl, any news about your husband's visa?

Not yet. Today he did a bunch of running around to get the papers he needed and he said that tomorrow he will be going back to the embassy to drop them off. Our hope is that they will return their passports with permenant residence when he gives them the papers required. My fingers are crossed. I will keep you posted!!

Kim

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Today my husband went to the SD Canadian Embassy and he was able to submit the new papers to the officer that was their. My husband said that the immigration was closed today and the officer told him that the papers would be sent to Port-au-Prince to be added to the file. I wonder when the immigration officers come to Santo Domingo to do interviews or if they only come on a required basis? I did not expect the papers to go back to Haiti but I guess the interview lady took them back with her. The officer that was there today said that Haiti will probably call him in 2 weeks or 20 days. Let's hope sooner! I will keep you posted!

Kim

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
Hi Kimmygirl,

Does you husband work in Punta Cana? I ask because I think that my husband works with your husband...my husband(Wilkins) was telling me that his friend is married to a girl from Toronto and that he went for an interview on the 20th of Sept....your story and his friends story sound the same....just curious!!!

Dominican Daisy

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Omg!!!!yes

Hi Kimmygirl,

Does you husband work in Punta Cana? I ask because I think that my husband works with your husband...my husband(Wilkins) was telling me that his friend is married to a girl from Toronto and that he went for an interview on the 20th of Sept....your story and his friends story sound the same....just curious!!!

Dominican Daisy

OH MY GOD! My husband talks about your husband all the time! Nice to meet you! I have asked him questions and he just says that you come to vacation a lot and from what I understand you are from Kitchener. Is this true cause I am from just outside of London. I tell him that I would like it if he could have as many friends here as he can. I am so excited right now! I can't wait to tell Oscar! He says that Wilkins papers are a month and a half behind ours and I know he has been telling him all that has been going on.

Talk to you soon!

Kim

dominican_daisy

Apr 18, 2006
Hi Kimmygril,

WOW...that is so funny...Wilkins is on his way home today to PP...so I haven't been able to tell him, however I sent him a text message last night asking how Oscar was....he wrote back..'how do you know Oscar??'..I think it's funny!

I live near Ayr, in the country side...lol...I too agree that Wilkins neads to have friends...and now he will and close by?!

Our paper work was 'In Process' June 28..it's 3 months today! Wilkins has kept me posted on your husband...he tells me that he has a friend who is married to a girl from Toronto...(okay, so he's in the wrong city) but we are right in the middle of the two!!! When I started to read your post yesterday I was really excited and wanted to talk to Wilkins right away..but he was working...

Hope to talk to you soon!
This is pretty exciting!!!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
This has been a very interesting post as it falls close to the heart. Just thought I would add my two cents since I have often wondered about the whole interview process...

My husband (Dominican) and I (Canadian) married in February 2005. I sent our papers to the Mississauga processing centre on March 1, 2005. I had my sponsor approval within one month from the time I mailed it in and was notified that the papers were on their way to Port au Prince. Around the beginning of May 2005 my husband received a letter in the mail (in rhe DR) asking him to verify that he had no children and he had to sign it back and mail it to the SD Canadian Embassy. He didn't want to take any chances on the mail there so he took the bus from POP to SD and hand delivered it. He had his permanent residence Visa to Canada by mid-June (yes that's right... 3 1/2 months for the whole process). He never had an interview and we had not a single problem with our papers. To this day we are still in disbelief that everything went so fast and that he didn't have an interview ... considering all we have heard from other couples.

We were not expecting things to go so fast so my husband still had a few loose ends to tie up before he came to Canada and did not land until July 16, 2005.

Any advice I can offer others... I work in the legal industry and did the paperwork myself... I treated it like the most important file I had ever had and went overboard on organization. I read the "Guide" about 15 times before I even started filling out the papers. I made all the paperwork into a bound brief with index, etc. Also, pay all your fees up front. They say you can pay the landing fee once you hear they are approved but I know a few people who were done around the same time as us and having to pay those fees and provide proof took another month or so at least.

As much as I wanted to go down and fly with my husband from POP to Toronto... I had too much going with my job and just couldn't. He flew himself from the POP airport on Skyservice (he didn't speak a word of English before he got here mind you so I was very worried) and again had not a single problem checking in at the airport or at immigration in Toronto. Looking back... I would never have done it differently. The night he arrived in Toronto his flight was an our or two late and there had to be about 10 flights from all around the world coming in around the same time. It seemed like there were a few hundred people waiting at the arrival gate. My parents came with me to welcome him and we all had to keep our eyes peeled because there were so many people. Finally, there he was. He looked sooo cute and star struck. All he had was a backpack and a little suitcase... his entire worldly belongings and it broke my heart. We were both so excited to see each other since it had been 5 months since our wedding and since we had seen each other. The plan had been for me to go back but things just went so fast we decided to save money and wait. Before that I had been going about every 6 weeks (I had originally lived there with him which is how we met) so the visits were after I returned to Canada.

Anyway, he's been in Canada for a year and 2 1/2 months and things are great.

I have always wondered what they base the interview on because during our process we met a few other couples and most had the interview and two of use did not and to this day we can't figure out why.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hi there-
I am still waiting on my papers for my husband, which I am hoping will be soon.

I was approved May 2 in Cda (recieved in Cda on March24)
My date that Haiti started working on our papers are June 7, so I'm hoping that it will be soon. It will be 7 months in October.

After reading everyones stories and dates of processing times... I am now freaking out b/c I want "our" time to come NOW. (Can't say I'm the most patient person. I thought I was doing o.k, but now I'm going crazy. :mad:)

I called today to Immigration in Haiti (GRRRRRRR :mad: :angry: ) and I confirmed they received my Use of a Representative form, so I could get info, which yes they did. When I asked if they could tell me if they were processing his papers, they politely told me that they could not give info over the phone, to write to the Embassy, and they would correspond to that. HELLO?!!!!!! I did that, both in May, and when I faxed my Use of a Rep form in...and no response. She then put me to the message to check the website. I called back, and said we got disconnected, and so she put me back to the message of the internet.

So I will continue to call them, and fax them, and email them, in the hopes of some sort of response.

How I love this system. :tired:
lisa

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Hi there-
I am still waiting on my papers for my husband, which I am hoping will be soon.

So I will continue to call them, and fax them, and email them, in the hopes of some sort of response.

How I love this system. :tired:
lisa

I don't know whether it's true or not but I was told to NOT call, e-mail or fax or they will deliberately take longer because you are being a pain in the ass. I just waited patiently. I am not a patient person either but if it means it will actually make things go faster, I highly recommend it. The only time I actually called was when they told my husband he could go pick-up his Visa and I had to call to actually confirm that he understood correctly since we were both shocked he didn't have to have an interview. I would especially recommend this if your papers have not taken that long yet... 6 - 8 months would not be long in my opinion given the average times given on the Canada Immigration website.

Your post made me think of something else - people... ALWAYS fill out the "Use of a Representative" form. That is the only way you will be able to correspond or speak with immigration people about your husband's/wife's paperwork.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I don't know whether it's true or not but I was told to NOT call, e-mail or fax or they will deliberately take longer because you are being a pain in the ass. I just waited patiently. QUOTE=FiestaMama;441104]

I heard the exact opposite. One of my husband's friends wife called every other day and it took 4 months for him to get his visa approved, this past May. And another friend got his phone call and interview set up... and his wife was in correspondance for about 2 weeks.

I have no idea. That is why I was leary b/c I didn't want to pi$$ them off, but it has worked for others, so I thought why not?

lisa

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I don't know whether it's true or not but I was told to NOT call, e-mail or fax or they will deliberately take longer because you are being a pain in the ass. I just waited patiently. QUOTE=FiestaMama;441104]

I heard the exact opposite. One of my husband's friends wife called every other day and it took 4 months for him to get his visa approved, this past May. And another friend got his phone call and interview set up... and his wife was in correspondance for about 2 weeks.

I have no idea. That is why I was leary b/c I didn't want to pi$$ them off, but it has worked for others, so I thought why not?

lisa

I think the best advice I can give is this... try and live your life right now and not obsess about the process. Believe me... I've been there and know it's hard but for me, the longer we were apart the easier it got because it made me stronger and I had more time to prepare for my husband's arrival. The thing you have to remember that I think another poster said is that it is VERY VERY unlikely he will not get his Visa so just let the process run its course. Instead, try and save money, concentrate on your job, friends, family and preparing yourself for his arrival because believe me... that is much harder than waiting for him to get here. Start learing how to cook Dominican food if you don't already know because his food is one of the things my husband missed the most (at the beginning... now he's fine with most food). I think I just kept thinking... worst case scenario, we will be apart another few months but we will have the rest of our lives together. Try and relax and you will cause yourself less stress :) As for your hubby not stressing... they are all the same. Why would they stress. Sure they miss us but their country is a tropical paradise ... who would be counting down the days to leave that;)

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
Dominican Daisy, it is all too funny! Oscar often talks about Wilkins and says that his wife is a nice lady. They are like two young school boys! I think he also asked me if I wanted your number, he is very excited about connections here. He also mentioned a little about your job. I asked what Wilkins was like and if he was a good husband and he said "yes he is a good man".

Fiesta Mama, Thankyou sooo much for your story, I had tears. I often think about the day Oscar and Jenni come and what is going to happen in the airport. The last trip I had, I said to myself, "the next time I am here, it will be to get my family". My opinion on the interview stuff is they need different papers (like my husband) or they have a quota to make (our money has to go somewhere). I am also glad to here that things are going very well for you. Trina is preparing me because it will be the hardest thing I have ever done, becoming a wife and mom in one day.

Baileyboy, I agree with Fiesta Mama, be patient. We did not contact them once and they called him at 3months, 27days (in Haiti). I was approved in Mississauga on April 5, 2006 and Haiti started our papers May 15. The processing times for Haiti on the website say 30% in 5months are finalized, 50% in 7mths, 70% in 10mths, and 80% in 14mths. Don't worry, they will call soon and I (like most others) understand how annoying it is to have to wait on a process that should not take this long. I always wonder what exactly they do but then I could underestamate how many applications they do have. Once again, I am waiting for the call.

Kim