Health question for ladies

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Two things--information--only.
1) The pills that were being used by D-in-law were "Feminin"(sp?) or "Femiane" (Help dv8!)
2) I love dv8, don't you? She tells it like it is!!

Hb

May 29, 2006
i would like to chop off your head.
every woman who is having sex should be taking smear tests. preferably once a year. more often if there is a family cancer history.
in DR is is called papa nicolau (after the dude who started it) or more scientifically citologia. the test is painless and the results are in within few days. they show the state of the cells inside vagina and indicate not only cancer but also infections and other irregularities.
the test is covered by insurance.
you are crazy not to do it :ermm:

Also crazy not to get the HPV vaccines since HPV is the primary cause of cervical cancer and disease-acquired infertility.

I'm still puzzled why only women get the vaccine in the US. It's ok for a guy to be a asymptomatic carrier and infect women with a disease that can kill them? But I digress...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
:tired: I am not sexually active, sheesh. that's why I said when I am older, like when I am married. I don't know anyone in my family that has had cancer, only self inflicted diabetes on one side of my family and the others are pretty healthy. I'm not exactly comfortable doing it for no reason, and I don't like going to the doctors.

off with your head!
have you ever had sex? then you have to be checked. just one slip, one bonk with a wrong person and you can be done for. and, unknowingly, you may pass the disease to your child.
you only have one toto, girl, gotta love it!

HD, the pill you are looking for is FEMIANE, by bayer. available in DR, no problem. one of the more expensive, 600 a box or so. very low hormones which is supposed to good for women.

the vacuna for HPV, apparently, is only affective when applied at fairly young age. i am not sure why to girls only as i hear now that HPV may also be a cause of cancer in men.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
off with your head!

the vacuna for HPV, apparently, is only affective when applied at fairly young age. i am not sure why to girls only as i hear now that HPV may also be a cause of cancer in men.
How young is fairly young? maybe I can take that and be fine, I don't want no doctor looking at or messing with my privates.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have no words for you...
12-13 is the best time for the vaccine. judging by how you treat your health you still have a long time to go before you are 12....

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
i have no words for you...
12-13 is the best time for the vaccine. judging by how you treat your health you still have a long time to go before you are 12....

lol, I'm not that young. My health is pretty good, I don't eat meat, don't eat cheese very much, don't eat a lot of fried foods except for tostones with eggs sometimes but I make the eggs without oil or butter. and I don't eat junk foods, I only drink water. yup so I think I treat my health pretty good. Call me ignorant but I don't wanna waste money getting tested for crap until I actually need to. and I know what condoms and birth control are, and I think using both are a good idea, and not sleeping with a bunch of guys. and maybe no sex like Chip said, not until marriage or if you're in a serious relationship

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so you you like boys to dig in but not the doctor to take a peek? to get HPV toto does not necesserly have to be invaded, all it needs is an unfortunate poke or a lick :)

many viruses show no symptoms whatsoever, but the damage on the cellular lever stats on the day one. people look well but their interior organs start detariorating. if you let HPV or a genital infection do undetected and untreated there will be no "later in life for you" becuase you may not live that long. or you may permanently damage your fertility. i think it is sad to die of a cancer just because one wanted to save some petty cash...

i do not know a single woman who likes going to ginecologo. it is not enjoyable entertainment. but it is a wise precaution.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
so you you like boys to dig in but not the doctor to take a peek?
No, I don't like guys to dig in, I don't sleep around. yup, I'm sure I'm gonna die. but how much does it cost to get checked? oh and what about checking my blood type, anyone know where I can get that done in santiago?

May 29, 2006
What I'm reading now is the age cut-off in the US is 26 and the only reason is there isn't enough of it to give to everyone yet and to put an insurance cost cap on it. It's a cost benefit deal...

Being up to date on sex ed is a good idea regardless of how often you hook up with someone or use protection. Something like one out of five adults in NYC have herpes. Then there is HPV, Hep C and plenty of other nasties with odd names. If only kids knew what was really out there.

How do Dominicans learn about this stuff? I very much doubt it's taught in schools.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yep, vaccine is for women aged 9 to 26 and most effective at 12-13 (before girls start to be sexually active).
twix, if you are in santiago i recommend clinica union, i always go there. i am not sure about the cost of the appointment with ginecologo, i pay 100 pesos (with insurance) plus 300 pesos for smear test (with insurance). full cost of the test itself was 800 pesos last year.
lab in union does all sort of test including blood.

Philippa

Dec 2, 2004
hpv and vaccines

I am totally shocked at what you are saying Twix. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I think that you are being totally irresponsible. I'm 23 years old, I got the HPV vaccine (Gardisal) when I was younger yet I still had an abnormal pap smear that said I had HPV. I know this is very personal, but I'm saying this for your benefit. Before you start thinking I'm some person going around sleeping with every guy, thats not true. I've slept with one person, my fiance. Even if you use condoms, HPV can still be transmitted. Like someone said previously, men can get HPV exhibit no symptoms and pass it on to another person. Also, you may not even know you have it, I was totally fine no symptoms or anything, just a regular pap smear and it showed up. You never know. My ob/gyn said that its very common for women to HPV and usually it goes away on its own, my next pap smear was normal, but you want to monitor it if you have it, it can become serious. Like someone said, it can cause cancers of the uterus, anus, or cervical cancer, which is very deadly since most of the time it is noticed after it has gotten very far.
Also, I had gone to my pediatrician till, actually till now (though they are officially kicking out all 'adult' patients now) and when I was turning 18 my doctor told me that even if I wasn't having sex (and I didn't have sex till I was 21) I still needed to go to an ob/gyn just to get a routine pap smear. Nothing runs in my family, but its routine to go. My doctor told me if you're 18 or having sex (for those having sex younger) you should go every year.
I divulged a LOT of personal information in this post, but it really is to show you that you are not making a smart choice in choosing not to go. Yes, it may be expensive, but honestly, at what cost would you risk your health?
I'm 23, I've had sex with one person, had the vaccine, and yet still got HPV. If I was you, I would get a pap smear. Its quick, simple, and though not enjoyable, not horrible either. In my opinion the most awkward part is having to be naked in front of a stranger.
Just do it!

Reactions: las2137

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
yep, vaccine is for women aged 9 to 26 and most effective at 12-13 (before girls start to be sexually active).
twix, if you are in santiago i recommend clinica union, i always go there. i am not sure about the cost of the appointment with ginecologo, i pay 100 pesos (with insurance) plus 300 pesos for smear test (with insurance). full cost of the test itself was 800 pesos last year.
lab in union does all sort of test including blood.
sweet, thanks.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i'm super late on this - but I have a mirena.
i got it at the corominas and it cost 8,500 pesos. Insurance does not cover it. but, it lasts for 5 years and if you add up all those boxes of pills, it's about even outs (or better). you have to have had a baby before, apparently (i have two). It was easy and IS so much easier than pills.
when I was taking the pill I took April, 275 pesos a box and a low dosage of hormones. It did it's job for me.

Mirena is used by Planned Parenthood in the states and costs like $225 dollars for those who are there.