Healthy eating in Sosua?

B

batich

A friend of mine was a bit shocked with meals in Sosua eating establishments: everything is fried,mostly meat or pasta/pizza/potatoes , loaded with fat and junk calories , very small salads.

I cannot recommend any places for light, low calorie healthy eating. Suggested only to make and eat a big salad , eat plenty of yogurt and boiled eggs for protein at home and never order main courses and postre in restaurantes - only wine with something light.

Any better ideas please?

palomitamia

Nov 13, 2005
your friend will be fine if he stays in an AI: lots of fresh fruit and veg. every day. If he doesn't then he can buy lots of fresh food in the supermarkets and make some salads at home, that's what we did.

DR has such great variety of fruit, and everything is so much cheaper here, yum-yum.

Cheers,

the fruitarian :D

B

batich

your friend will be fine if he stays in an AI: lots of fresh fruit and veg. every day. If he doesn't then he can buy lots of fresh food in the supermarkets and make some salads at home, that's what we did.

DR has such great variety of fruit, and everything is so much cheaper here, yum-yum.

Cheers,

the fruitarian :D

Exactly what I told her. Word for word.

And AIs are even worse.
Right, they have more greens. But meat dishes are horrible. Same as deserts.
And as these meals are "free" people overeat this junk. Often gaining 10-20 Lb a week (combining with stupid sunburn) and upon return going to see a doctor.
They call it "vacation".

Same story with all AIs everywhere where I`ve been. Egypt, Tunisia,UAE,Turkey,Jamaica. As much fat, sugar and spicies as possible. To cover the real taste of the cheapest food they are buying for their guests.

So, we have no even SEMI-vegitarian restaurantes here in Sosua?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sorry but

abandon all hope upon entering a tourist town, dear batich. the main principle of resort is cheap and fast - and that is what tourists want. you can find nice places where locals eat but it will be just as difficult to digest as fast food. dominican rice, bean and chicken are a little bit fatty and god forbid you to try sausage or milk-based desserts - i had diarrhoea for two days - not advaicable on a holiday, is it? it takes time to get used to dominican meat and milk, especially if you have a sensative stomach. my english landlors has a deep love for rocky's bar and their food, maybe not 100% healthy but tasty!
ai is what you get from it, when on holiday in DR in ai i always lost weight, if at the buffet your friend sticks to fruits and veggies she should be ok as to sweets - there is a german bakery in sosua (almost at the end of the city, heading towards cabarete) that has excellent cakes. don't be shy of helados bon - they are really good and safe to eat.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I found the food in Sosua far superior to the normal fast food crap you find in the US. You can get grilled chicken at the chicken stand on Pedro Clisante and all the restaurants have fruit dishes especially for breakfast. There is also an endless supply of street venders selling fresh fruits and nuts all over the place. If you need to stay in a glass bubble you shouldnt be on vacation in a 3rd world country.

B

batich

abandon all hope upon entering a tourist town, dear batich. the main principle of resort is cheap and fast - and that is what tourists want. you can find nice places where locals eat but it will be just as difficult to digest as fast food. dominican rice, bean and chicken are a little bit fatty and god forbid you to try sausage or milk-based desserts - i had diarrhoea for two days - not advaicable on a holiday, is it? it takes time to get used to dominican meat and milk, especially if you have a sensative stomach. my english landlors has a deep love for rocky's bar and their food, maybe not 100% healthy but tasty!
ai is what you get from it, when on holiday in DR in ai i always lost weight, if at the buffet your friend sticks to fruits and veggies she should be ok as to sweets - there is a german bakery in sosua (almost at the end of the city, heading towards cabarete) that has excellent cakes. don't be shy of helados bon - they are really good and safe to eat.

I am not a tourist and I am not in AI and in ten years in South and North Coasts of DR my stomach adopted to dominican food but thanks for insight anyway!

Pearl1

Aug 29, 2005
La Roca has a great Thai Chicken salad with seasonal fruit. Morua Mai has grilled sea bass to die for with steamed veggies and rice. Both restaurants I have found have used fresh ingredients and their menus have lots of options that don't fall into the "Fast food" categories. Good Luck

B

batich

La Roca has a great Thai Chicken salad with seasonal fruit. Morua Mai has grilled sea bass to die for with steamed veggies and rice. Both restaurants I have found have used fresh ingredients and their menus have lots of options that don't fall into the "Fast food" categories. Good Luck

Thank you!
That is what was needed.

I myself too hate fried, fatty or overloaded with calories meals. At least for sex within next 6 hours they are bad!

benna

Jan 30, 2006
The new place in town, Common Grounds has a few vegetarian dishes as well. They serve veggie loaf, veggie lasagne and a few other vegetarian meals. Also some nice salads. A bit pricey as far as Sosua prices go though, but still good food.

Also for those who are not worried about eating healthy, their chocolate cake and other baked goods are absolutely to die for! :cheeky:

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Hey Benna

Nice to see you are still on the board! :cheeky: Jenny and I are back at the end of Jan so hope to see you around Sousa!

With regard to some nice food - there are good noodle dishes at Quxihoties and Debbies Pantry at the other end served some healthy meals on my last visit!

Good luck on your healthy food search!

PS - Personaly I think if your on vacation - sod it - enjoy yourself for 2 weeks
;)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The food at Baileys is reasonable and good...and they have several "light" seafood dishes and a decent salad bar. I believe you can get the salad bar as an entree... Also the salad bar at El Toro is quite good...you could probably have a decent meal there...without the steak ;) There are a few good Italian restaaurants...all have plenty of vegetarian pasta dishes...

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
If you like Italian

I like the quality of the food at Alberto's on Calle Alejo Martinez across from the Hotel Atlantico. It's reasonably priced and they have very nice salads and vegetarian dishes. The pizza doesn't have corn on it either, LOL.

For take out, there are a lot of good choices. At times I like to steer away from touristy restaurants in Sosua just so I can try something more authentic to the Dominican. In El Batey there are also a couple of roadside barbecues with quality food - Roasted chicken and yucca - delicious! I've never gotten sick eating the off-resort food.

If you have wheels and head up to Los Castillos, (turn up the road by Parada Alex) there is Cafeteria Comedor Ana - she sells home cooked Dominican meals only at lunchtime - red-snapper, arroz blanco, arroz morro, pollo guisado, habichuelas, bbq chicken plantanos...She serves hearty portions for a low price.

Otherwise I've found that if you ask a restaurant to make you something the way you'd like, you can get by. I usually ask for pollo a la plancha - a skinless boneless cut of chicken grilled seasoned and some places won't have it on the menu, but they'll gladly make it for you!