Help......Need Some Tips....many Tips

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Quote:
does anyone know what is approxsimtly selary in some jobs like waitresses.....and is the better asking to be payed every day or weakly---Ivana

Ummm, Ivana, I think it is safe to say that would would get paid weakly. Very weakly.

Larry

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Quote:
does anyone know what is approxsimtly selary in some jobs like waitresses.....and is the better asking to be payed every day or weakly---Ivana

Ummm, Ivana, I think it is safe to say that would would get paid weakly. Very weakly.

Larry

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Ivana, you misspelled the word. Weekly means getting paid every week. WEAKLY means that you would be getting paid a low salary.

weak: lacking in strength or vigor, feeble.

Waitressing jobs in the DR pay a very low salary

Sorry about the joke at your expense :)

Larry

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Yes!

That's right. That's exactly what Larry meant. Most newbies here just can't pick up on the subtleties of Dominican life, like getting paid weakly. You're that one rare exception, apparently though!

You should have no trouble at all in your banking career, translating for us ex-pats. I for one am glad that there is always an influx of good people with good translation skills like you because, frankly, my Spanish sucks. Maybe someday it'll be as good as your English. Still, I am working on it. Wish me luck!

Please let me know which bank you end up at. I think that would be good information for all of us DR1'ers to know.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Larry, stop it! Stop trying to confuse the poor girl with an incorrect translation. Shame on you! We're supposed to be welcoming and helpful here, not making jokes to confuse the newbies. That's just not right, and I for one won't stand by and let that happen. Ivana, here 'weakly' I've been told when used by Dominicans means being paid every day or every several days. 'Strong' pay is when you get the full amount once or twice a month. 'Weak' pay is when it's broken up into smaller amounts. So you can spend the pesos before the devalue. It's a relatively new term caused by the economic problems and maybe Larry wasn't aware of that. Or so I understand anyway. But then you should know that I drink a lot, don't get out much, am getting forgetful in my extreme old age, and don't understand Spanish very well.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Im rolling....
I wish I was doing what Ivanna is doing, I'm almost jealous of her (ALMOST).
Im here in my little cube reading these emails and you guys have me laughing... :laugh:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Ivanna

Hello again Ivanna, question for you:

Is English one of the languages you are most strong in? How is your Spanish?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
See Larry? I told you what you did wasn't nice. Now you're getting threatened by a Slav. Not a good position to be in. But you brought it on yourself!

Ivana, the most important thing you need to know about WAITRESSING JOB here in the DR is one word. The word is "PSSSSSSSSSSSST" or sometimes "PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. PSSS. PSSSSSSSSSSSSST!"

That sound is the Dominican's call for service. When you hear that, patiently ignore the person making this noise for at least 10 minutes so he will be forced to repeat his polite request for service at least a dozen times more thus annoying all the other customers around him.

This serves several purposes. It gives WAITRESS free time to catch up on the Novellas before actually having to saunter over to the table, shows the Dominican male that you are the boss not him, and makes him look so rude and obnoxious to fellow customers that he is shamed into giving WAITRESS a much bigger tip before slinking away.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Ivana, as far as I know, or as far as I have seen, waitressing jobs do not pay well at all. Unless, of course, you consider 150 pesos per day to be a good salary. I am speaking purely on my experiences in tourist areas, where you most likely will be living and seeking employment. Like I stated before, your salary would indeed be "weak".

You see, no joke that time. I dont want to be drinking a beer in Sosua next month and get blindsided by a crazy Slavic female.

Larry

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
What about your husband Yvana? What would he do for a living in the DR? What does he do? Why is it so important to make this move now. The DR is not very stable right now.

My suggestion to you is to wait a year or so before you make such an important decision. Good luck in whatever you do.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Ivana, as far as I know, or as far as I have seen, waitressing jobs do not pay well at all. Unless you consider 150 pesos per day to be a good salary. I am speaking purely on my experiences in tourist areas, where you most likely will be living and seeking employment. Like I stated before, your salary would indeed be "weak".
Larry

And as of this afternoon 150 pesos is $3.26 US dollars

IVANA

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 12, 2004
FOR LARRY AND TOM

I REALLY LIKE YOUR POST.

my plan is working in some bank....how will do it...I dont know.
will see when i come in DR.

IF YOU BOTH - LARRY AND TOM.....HAVE SOME IDEAS....I AM SURE YOU WILL NOT HASITATE AND TELL ME.

YOUR FRIEND

IVANA

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Forget Waitressing!

I think they are trying to tell you to let go of the waitressing job dream. That is in TIPS - there is no real salary in waitressing!

I had asked the same question you did, the essense of the answers I got was: In order to make money in DR, you have to create your own job or offer something they dont already have...

BTW, please learn spanish if you plan to work for a bank.

Last edited:

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Just in case...

Dear Ivana,
might be that your expectations do not coincide with the Dominican reality. May I therefore suggest that you come on a return ticket, valid for 6 months or so. Single way tickets back to Europe are quite expensive here and your budget might run low with you waitressing and your husband teaching Dominicans (in what language) to sell (what???).

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
TEACHING !!

Maybe HB can get them a job at a university teaching Dominicans how to speak Russian, something I am SURE there isn't much competition in. Ivana, you've found your niche.