Help......Need Some Tips....many Tips

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, enough of jokes and give the girl a break, after all, she is the next victim in paradise.

Ivana, you have no clue what you are getting into. You think you are moving to florida or perhaps you have been watching too many movies. This is not hollywood where many movie stars have started with 20 dollars in their pocket and landed in a restaurant washing dishes /waiting tables untill they got the big break in the movie industry. I can see that you have no idea of what this country is all about.
This is a 3rd world country where the money devaluates on hourly basis and prices rise at an alarming rate. Jobs are being lost and businesses are being closed in all major cities in this country. The north cost has taken a nose dive several years ago and there doesn't seem to be any economical recovery soon in sight.
Forget about a bank job because you don't speak any spanish; besides, dominican spanish is not the same as european spanish. You will get your first dose of reality at the airport. The waitress jobs in a dominican restaurant pay about 80-100 dollars a month. Tips can be anywhere from 3-4 dollars a day. In a foreign restaurant, you might make a few dollars more but nothing to write home about. The banks won't hire you unless you have your residency papers in place or at least a working visa. Its a procedure that will take months and cost anywhere from 1000 - 1500 dollars from a lawyer.
You need money to live here for the first 6 months and then if you are lucky you might be able to make ends meet. Like I said, no spanish = no real professional jobs unless you open up your own business. If you open up your own business then be prepared to deal with dominicans ex: suppliers, clients, workers and various other people that you will come in contact with in this country. That alone will suck more energy out of you than your work. Be prepared to have plenty of patience.
Now going back to your dreams and expectations: I say you have very slim chance of making it here if you don't have any solid plans. I suggest you come here to visit first and then make a decision to live down here.
have a nice day.
Regards,
AZB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
GOOD MORNING to you too!

IVANA said:
good morning ... I think i didnt explain our plan on good way ...
maybe there are jobs LIKE YOU SALE SOMETHING and after get money ... kind of jobs without selary.
See? Now if you'd have explained it that way in the first place I am sure everyone here would have understood right away.

Sure! There are lots of jobs here without selary. Send a PM to Amy2761 on this board. I understand she worked at one of those here for nearly a year. My wife has one of those too. Whoops! No, I have to pay her. I am just not allowed to call that a selary. For various reasons. Some more obvious than others.

:: smile ::

Tom (aka XR)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Dearest Ivana,
You won't get a job in a bank for a minimum of 1 year. You need to speak Spanish first, get your residency and find a bank that will employ you.

Work here is silly. You won't make more than 75-150US dollars a month based on what you have written about yourself.

So here is your "TIP" you were looking for. Come here for a vacation because we have nice weather here, great beaches, good beer and great rum. Forget about working in the DR.

Escott
Experienced in all that matters, catering to the lonely women

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Some people just don't want to listen to reason...

If starting a "new life" in the DR had been half as easy as Ivana apparently thinks, I would have moved there years ago. And I speak relatively fluent Spanish, and I am married to a native (whose sister is married to a lawyer, which makes him a colleague). We have our own house and an almost new SUV there, too... But no thanks, only visiting periodically, until further notice. At least until mr. H.M. ("His Majesty"??) is out of the way and things have stabilized. Which unfortunately might take a while (years).

But then again, as opposed to in my home country, life in Serbia probably is fairly close to hell on earth, so I really shouldn't blame her for being willing to try, even with odds being what they are.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Re: GOOD MORNING to you too!

XanaduRanch said:

Sure! There are lots of jobs here without selary. Send a PM to Amy2761 on this board. I understand she worked at one of those here for nearly a year. Tom (aka XR)

Tom, you should be VERY happy that I did NOT have a PM from this Ivana in my PM box this morning .... you would've had one VERY p!ssed-off SOB at your front door.
And I DO get paid, who says advice isn't worth it's weight in gold ...... what does advice weigh anyways?! :ermm:

Stay well,
Amy

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Thank you Ivana ...

you have been very entertaining and in fact somehow convinced us that you are dead determined to come to this "paradise". You have been given good advice here, although it was sometimes hidden between the lines.
I get the impression that nothing can make you think twice, so of course, you will have to come and find out yourself.
Once you are here, you will see that
the DR is like an expensive private school, the fees are high but you can learn a lot in little time. You are ready to learn, aren?t you?
See you soon.
P.S: BTW, what or who recommended this country to you?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hello again Ivana

Following the same thought as the last post, do you want to go to the DR only b/c it is an Island? or because there is something in DR you have seen and liked? why the DR is really my question.

If you are just looking to live in an island paradise, maybe you can try another one in the caribbean that may be more stable and the native language is English?

Just a thought...

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Ivana

Had occurred to anyone that a naughty person is pretending to be a mythical Ivana and having no end of a laugh at all your expenses.

I 've just read all the posts and have had a good grin at it all.

As someone said, good entertainment....

Surely no-one could say these things and pretend to be serious?

Ric.....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I did think about it but you never know. We've had people in the past that have done that in every forum. We've also had people asking for advice that don't believe a word of what the regulars have to say but we never hear from them again. So we never know if it all turned out well for them or not.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Ivana lost me when she asked "ABZ" if he had luck selling his digital camera...that had fake written all over it...I truly wish I had that much time on my hands!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And then this kind of thing makes DR1 members not want to answer when a real poster comes in to ask the same questions and is told to do a search because they may not be as entertaining.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Oh Anna It's Not That Bad

The funny ones are fun to answer because they're eitherloopy, or determined not to listen to anything anyone says because they think they know better and actually get beligerent when the answers they do receive don't fit in their worldview. This one wasis in both categories.

The ones that bother me aren't really the ones that ask simple questions over and over, but those that really want information but have such poor communications skills that they can't actually be clear about what they need. Then people jump all over them. They get mad and start name calling, and well, you know how all that ends. And it's just all because they couldn't type a coherent message in the first place. One that comes to mind was that thread recently about the woman who wanted to know what somebody in a legal office looked like. Remember? Perfect example.

This thread has been a hoot. She's getting the information, albeit it in humourous form. Because when folks tolder her what was really up she got mean. So if she's a faker, it's been fun. If she's just really that dense that she doesn't get it, no harm done because she wasn'twilling to listen to real advice freely offered.

All in all a good time was had by just about all, I think.

Tom (aka XR)