Help needed with Claro data usage

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Help! I bought a Claro mobile hotspot with 5 GB’s of data. I use an IMac desktop computer and an IPhone. Within 24 hours all of my data was used up, I went back to the Claro store and he told me that I must be watching a lot of videos or playing games,I did neither. I am pretty certain that it is something going on in the background of my desktop because I purchased a 3GB plan for my phone and I haven’t used that data up in three weeks, I bought a second packet of 5GB’s of data for the hotspot becuse I had to send an important 7MG document via email and those 5GB’s lasted me three hours! I am looking for a computer place to bring my computer to or someone that makes housecalls that can sort this out for me,I live in Sosua,Or unless there is a resident DR1 computer genius that can pinpoint my problem from afar,lol. Thank you in advance.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Make sure you turn off the network connection when not actually using the internet.

Sorry don't know Mac specific settings but go through them:

1) If possible identify your connection as being metered
2) Turn off auto updating
3) Do not allow applications to run in the background
3) Turn off data use when your computer is sleeping
4) Exit out of any unnecessary applications that are running
5) Find the app that tells you what programs are connecting to the internet and how much data they send/receive

You don't need a computer tech, you need to understand how your computer works and take control of it rather than it controlling you.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Make sure you turn off the network connection when not actually using the internet.

Sorry don't know Mac specific settings but go through them:

1) If possible identify your connection as being metered
2) Turn off auto updating
3) Do not allow applications to run in the background
3) Turn off data use when your computer is sleeping
4) Exit out of any unnecessary applications that are running
5) Find the app that tells you what programs are connecting to the internet and how much data they send/receive

You don't need a computer tech, you need to understand how your computer works and take control of it rather than it controlling you.

Totally agree, you must have some programs running in background that is sucking all your data, also go to setting on your phone and make sure. Is not running apps in background too.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay, question......  several posts have said that you can buy Claro unlimited data for a set number of days/ week.  Is that only for phones?  

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Okay, question......  several posts have said that you can buy Claro unlimited data for a set number of days/ week.  Is that only for phones?  

Please note internet speed drops after 1, 3, or 5 GB usage depending on which package you buy.

Esta Navidad puedes comprar los Nuevos Paquetes de Internet Ilimitados de 1, 3 y 5 días en tu Claro Prepago para navegar con libertad y de acuerdo a tu presupuesto.

Compra el Paquete de Internet Ilimitado Prepago que necesitas desde Mi Claro o marcando *112# desde tu móvil.

Precio Paquete de Internet
RD$50 1 día Ilimitado
RD$95 3 días Ilimitados
RD$140 5 días Ilimitados

Algunas Consideraciones
•Precios incluyen impuestos.
•Oferta disponible del 20 de octubre de 2017 al 10 de enero 2018 para clientes móviles Prepago.
•Compra y consulta disponible a través de Mi Claro (App y web) o marcando *112# desde tu móvil.
•Puedes comprar los Paquetes de Internet Ilimitados si tienes un móvil Prepago, Control o Flota.
•Los paquetes de Internet Ilimitados tienen la siguiente capacidad: 1 día=1GB, 3 días=3GB y 5 días=5GB, luego de alcanzar dicha capacidad podrás seguir navegando a una velocidad de 256 Kbps hasta completar el período de vigencia de tu paquete de Internet (1, 3 o 5 días).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

As the last poster said the internet slows down after what you actually pay for. And when it does you will not be a happy camper. Not a good plan in my opinion.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Those "unlimited" data packs are capped at very slow speeds and do not give you the full 4g lte speeds. Also, just some advice, although I use claro, they sure like to "borrow" your data or whatever balance you currently have on your account and trust me you're not getting anything back from them. They will not give you even 1 peso in credit. They're the best speeds, but the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. I personally use tricom home internet and claro for mobile (Orange doesnt give me 4g on my phone due to incompatible bands) so I'm stuck with claro. Good example yesterday, I bought a 500mb paquetico a couple days ago, used mainly my house wifi for those days. Checked my balance yesterday and said I used 300mb? And on top of that I haven't used any minutes at all and they took about 30 pesos out of my balance. Also, I make sure I have nothing running in background and updates are wifi only. A friend and previous claro rep told me if you don't use your balance frequently, claro takes out of your balance. I don't know how true this is, but from what I've seen it could be.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Those "unlimited" data packs are capped at very slow speeds and do not give you the full 4g lte speeds. Also, just some advice, although I use claro, they sure like to "borrow" your data or whatever balance you currently have on your account and trust me you're not getting anything back from them. They will not give you even 1 peso in credit. They're the best speeds, but the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. I personally use tricom home internet and claro for mobile (Orange doesnt give me 4g on my phone due to incompatible bands) so I'm stuck with claro. Good example yesterday, I bought a 500mb paquetico a couple days ago, used mainly my house wifi for those days. Checked my balance yesterday and said I used 300mb? And on top of that I haven't used any minutes at all and they took about 30 pesos out of my balance. Also, I make sure I have nothing running in background and updates are wifi only. A friend and previous claro rep told me if you don't use your balance frequently, claro takes out of your balance. I don't know how true this is, but from what I've seen it could be.

While indeed true that the unlimited data packs will not provide you with 4G service, they are more than adequate for basic web surfing, some forms of social media, and communication needs along the lines of messaging and voice calls. I myself, only utilize the unlimited data packs when my travels take me to locales where WiFi may not be readily available or sporadic at best. Again, only basic communication needs (WhatsApp, UBER, during power outages, etc), not more enhanced features such as viewing videos, downloading music, or playing game applications. For features such as this, it is best to wait for a WiFi connection, if possible.
As far as "losing" some of your credited data within the cover of darkness, have you checked your settings? For my phone it is necessary to go into 'Settings', followed by 'Data', followed by 'Mobile Usage'. You want to make sure that the 'Mobile Usage' box is only checkmarked when you are indeed utilizing your data pack. If you enter a WiFi network, disable the Mobile Usage checkmark. If not, you will lose your data credits regardless if you are utilizing a WiFi network or not.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Claro is only good for post paid plans. For that they are excellent. They rollover minutes not used to the next month and data also. Very fast all over the DR and in free roaming in the US and Latin America.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Please note internet speed drops after 1, 3, or 5 GB usage depending on which package you buy.

Esta Navidad puedes comprar los Nuevos Paquetes de Internet Ilimitados de 1, 3 y 5 días en tu Claro Prepago para navegar con libertad y de acuerdo a tu presupuesto.

Compra el Paquete de Internet Ilimitado Prepago que necesitas desde Mi Claro o marcando *112# desde tu móvil.

Precio Paquete de Internet
RD$50 1 día Ilimitado
RD$95 3 días Ilimitados
RD$140 5 días Ilimitados

Algunas Consideraciones
•Precios incluyen impuestos.
•Oferta disponible del 20 de octubre de 2017 al 10 de enero 2018 para clientes móviles Prepago.
•Compra y consulta disponible a través de Mi Claro (App y web) o marcando *112# desde tu móvil.
•Puedes comprar los Paquetes de Internet Ilimitados si tienes un móvil Prepago, Control o Flota.
•Los paquetes de Internet Ilimitados tienen la siguiente capacidad: 1 día=1GB, 3 días=3GB y 5 días=5GB, luego de alcanzar dicha capacidad podrás seguir navegando a una velocidad de 256 Kbps hasta completar el período de vigencia de tu paquete de Internet (1, 3 o 5 días).

Also referring to what AE asks above, I belive this is only valid for mobile phone contracts, not for the wifi box.

I have Claro Internet Movil Control with 10 GB monthly allowance, and these options above are not available for me.

The unlimited connection after the cap, at least with Claro Control, is not valid, but with Orange we have that in mobile internet (wifi box) and mobile phone contracts. So with Claro, once the data cap is reached, the connection is cut off completely, with Orange no.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
For emergency situations, like having to send a 7mb document, you can purchase pre-pago data, and then use your phone as a hotspot, and connect your computer to the newly created wifi network.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Also referring to what AE asks above, I belive this is only valid for mobile phone contracts, not for the wifi box.

I have Claro Internet Movil Control with 10 GB monthly allowance, and these options above are not available for me.

The unlimited connection after the cap, at least with Claro Control, is not valid, but with Orange we have that in mobile internet (wifi box) and mobile phone contracts. So with Claro, once the data cap is reached, the connection is cut off completely, with Orange no.

The offer of unlimited package end on January 10th.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
You need to figure out which applications suck up the bandwidth. It could be some iCloud backup or iTunes or something else of which you are not aware. Open ActivityMonitor app from Applications -> Utilities and click on the Network tab to see per-application network usage.

Feb 7, 2007
For those that complain that Claro steals them their data, please install an app that measures your usage. I have already proven to several people that it's not Claro stealing their data, but their uncontrolled settings, e. G. Updates of Play apps on automatic, watching YouTube in HD, video and music streaming, whatsapp messages with rich media, etc. Once you do an update for 3 or 4 heavier apps, your 200 MB paquetico is gone with the wind.

Most smart phones already have ways to measure your data usage. I have 7 GB plan and usually use just about 3 GB per month, and the measurement my own phone gives (pretty detailed by time, app, network) is actually always about 2 or 3 percent more that what Mi Claro app from Claro says was my usage... (does that mean Claro is gifting me some data? :) :) :))

I once tethered my daughter so she could use my data when taking a trip and in less than 8 hours she used over 500 MB... FB, Instagram, lots of videos of pictures... That all eats the data.

Please don't say Claro steals your data, check your usage first.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When do you think the DR will catch up to the rest of the world - T-Mobile - who was affiliated with Orange in Europe offers plans of unlimited high speed data at very reasonable rates. You can surf the internet all day long - or hot spot your phone. I keep my US plan because it is so reasonable even if I travel to the US only a couple times per year - but text messages in DR are free - unlimited in DR. Right now I have two phones but looking towards a dual sim model.
Claro has a Christmas offer now where you receive double the data for 3 years for post-pagado

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There is no real impetus to modernize the networks here at the pace we see elsewhere. Many would not be able to afford the higher charges needed to fund better service that could offer more consumer choice. The reliance on pay-as-you-go options do not make for a reliable, forecastable and consistent revenue stream. The phones can already make use of the network upgrades if the investment in modern physical infrastructure was made, that just not happening.

It seems that those outside of the large urban areas are content with what they have and are not demanding more from the carriers. The carriers seem content with grabbing as much as they can today and are not too concerned with what they could get tomorrow or next year.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
To the OP, do you have dropbox, google drive, iCloud or One drive or another cloud based storage plan?

It could be that you had a lot of unsynchronised data in your cloud that is not on your computer.  It runs in the background and can easily munch up all that data.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
When do you think the DR will catch up to the rest of the world - T-Mobile - who was affiliated with Orange in Europe offers plans of unlimited high speed data at very reasonable rates. You can surf the internet all day long - or hot spot your phone. I keep my US plan because it is so reasonable even if I travel to the US only a couple times per year - but text messages in DR are free - unlimited in DR. Right now I have two phones but looking towards a dual sim model.
Claro has a Christmas offer now where you receive double the data for 3 years for post-pagado

VIVA already did, their Plans has unlimited Internet once you reach the amount of Gb purchased they cap the speed to 384 mbps.