Help! We've been robbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Perla Marina

Sorry to read of your experience. Did you report this to the security chief at Perla Marina. You pay for their service and you need to let them know since they are supposed to have added security id passes for all who enter including workers.

C

Chip00

A couple of things to remember

First of all I'm glad you all have already "picked yourselve up" and decided to not let this cloud your judgement about this beautiful island and the many qualities of it's people.

Let me just offer a couple of very essential points of advice. BTW I'm American and my wife is Dominican and we have a house in Santiago. I would like you to reconsider a couple of your decisions.

1. Putting bars on your windows at the very least will do a lot to prevent such attacks in the future. Every Dominican house I have seen in the DR has such things and even homes that have a permanent watchman. This in no way will cause your Dominican neighbors to think bad of you - conversely, they with more than likely think you are unintelligent to not have them.

2. Please don't think that this won't happen again. The reason being is that many of the criminals will come back especially if you didn't get the police involved. I have numerous examples I could tell you too.

I wish you the best of luck and keep up the great attitude - I'm sure you'll have a great time here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
We could have easily been emotionally demolished by this situation. However, we took a different road and enjoyed the day at the beach.
That's a virtue worth having.

-NALs;)

Sep 19, 2005
The first thing I think of is how do they get OUT of a gated community without the guard LETTING them out!!!!

second with all the security measures Id think a first step would be to install a security camera that you can turn on every time someone comes to the gate at your driveway...then turn it off when they go.....I realize 24-7 camera security would be a pain....but at least you could get pictures of them.

how do you go about living your life with NO valuables IN YOUR HOUSE???

no computer worth a lick, no big screen tv, no nice power tools, no art, no jewelry!!!!!...no CASH!!!!

just think what expired here... they came in through the front door broad daylight, not worried one little bit about being ID..and it worked....no one wants to say anything..and thats the advice.....so if the safe has 10,000 US in it...would you go to the police?

buy a monster heavy safe....tell them it only opens on an irregular time schedule and they take the safe...but you keep your jewelry and money in some hidden spot....and make sure they take the safe.....

I have an 800 LB safe that is 3 foot square.

I got it free because it is SUCH a pain to move.....of course they can always just kill you because you pizzed them off, by not opening it or having anything....how do you win?

a gated community no less. how does a woman fend off four guys at the door even if she has a gun? if they have a gun, the dog is as good as dead if it bothers them...and a dog barking....really....all dogs bark...everytime someone walks by.....how does anyone know the difference between a burglers is here bark and a neighbor is walking by bark??

it just like a car alarm.....WHO wonders if someone is stealing a car when they hear a car alarm in the DR???

I still dont understand the NOT GOING to the police thing....you might as well have NOTHING of value.......not even a decent car!

I guess for all those living there its a game of numbers, and not standing out

bob

leafman

Jan 4, 2006
now thats an ordeal! i am sincerely glad you came out okay. it makes my little run in a lot less scary. we were robbed about 2 months ago however they came in around 3 am, and were in the house while we slept, didnt hear a thing. woke up the next morning to find my wifes purse open and a lot lighter. they took her wallet and some pesos, but most crappy is they took our passports. we made an error as we always keep our stuff with us in our room and on that night she left her purse out in the kitchen. oddly enough i had 300 pesos lying under the keys to the jeep, they took the pesos from under the keys and left them. that seemed odd to me maybe it was a young kid. i guess in a way fate played a part as well because i would have been totally unprepared for an encounter, we also found later on, a lead pipe i m sure i was to be greeted with had i woke up. so as in your case it could have been 10 times worse and we are thankful for that. We have since gotten dog and i now have said lead pipe beside the bed as well as some knives strategically placed around. i guess now we just look at it as a wake up call. because passports were involved we had to go to the police ( what a waste of 2 days) and fill out a report. its just a big joke and i think with the frustration i almost ended up in the jail instead.
all the best keep safe

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It COULD Have Been A LOT WORSE!!!!!

Just get today's copy of:
"Diario Libre"!
More that 97 violent murders in the first 27 days of 2007 in the DR!
One just down the street from where I live in Arroyo Hondo!
Police shot and killed one of a gang of 4 who had just killed the owner of a "Casa de Cambio" near my house as well!
Those who STILL wish to "SPIN" the Crime Wave in the DR as: "It happens EVERYWHERE!" Should pull their heads from the sand and stop fooling themselves,and worse yet, misinforming the "Newbies" who still think of the DR as a "Paradise"!
I like living in the "Wild Wild West", but I don't spread the false rumor that crime has not gotten 10 times worse in the last 5 years!

"BELIEVE IT!"
Just read the "PAPERS" everyday! You will soon see what I mean!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Criss, in all fairness and with no spin .. we have to add that this is a Caribbean wide phenomenon at the moment. Trinidad and Tobago has serious problems, similar to ours as well as Jamaica as well as some other smaller islands. This is not only the DR, but our whole area. (Don't you dare call me Nals!)

Yes, it is a fact and it is worse than 5 years ago. The only thing I find myself able to do personally, is to focus on prevention and keep things in perspective. We can still walk the streets (most of them), and the malecons in the DR without fear, but with the necessary precautions. I gave up on a friendship with a female friend who refused to take her jewellery off while in the streets and on the beach. I left her and her bling behind so as not to be a target myself.

Last edited:
C

Chip00

"Diario Libre"!
One just down the street from where I live in Arroyo Hondo!
Police shot and killed one of a gang of 4 who had just killed the owner of a "Casa de Cambio" near my house as well!
Those who STILL wish to "SPIN" the Crime Wave in the DR as: "It happens EVERYWHERE!" Should pull their heads from the sand and stop fooling themselves,and worse yet, misinforming the "Newbies" who still think of the DR as a "Paradise"!
I like living in the "Wild Wild West", but I don't spread the false rumor that crime has not gotten 10 times worse in the last 5 years!

"BELIEVE IT!"

Criss

You are obviously a "pro" of this forum and the country with plenty of experience. What I would like to know in your opinion what are the chances that one is going to "get it" here compared to "getting it" say in the US if one takes the necessary precautions and measure as discussed thoroughly in other threads on this forum not the least of which is choose carefully where you live and don't go out late at night if possible.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I gave up on a friendship with a female friend who refused to take her jewellery off while in the streets and on the beach. I left her and her bling behind so as not to be a target myself.
I didn't want to go there, but, let's face it.
Most of the crimes that happen to innocent people (Not drug dealers, etc) are because they do dumb things that invite crime.
I'm not saying that it's that way in every case, but the vast majority, yes.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
"Diario Libre"!

"BELIEVE IT!"

Interesting. MY copy of Diario Libre said 79 not 97. Maybe they print different editions for north coast & south coast.............;)
Diario Libre Online

Mind you, if you go to El Caribe you get 66 + 3 = 69
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=114263&guid=291FFB46DBB141ACA1C88A9C029D3A59&Seccion=63

I DO read the papers every day, but I make sure I read 6 or 7 and triangulate to attempt to arrive at accuracy, & even then I don't always succeed.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
helpmann is now on vacation, who would like to be next?

Don't bother responding to my comment, your post will be deleted.

Carry on....

Status
Not open for further replies.