Help with potential locations

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Saman?

Unless you have been to Las Terrenas your choice will be uninformed.... :laugh: :classic: ;) :bunny:

donP
Las Terrenas

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
Unless you have been to Las Terrenas your choice will be uninformed.... :laugh: :classic: ;) :bunny:

donP
Las Terrenas

Don...Las Terranas was where I was looking first...but (as far as I can see) there is no international school that goes up to grade 12.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Casa de Campo has everything you could want!!!
Security is the best in the country!
You can be in Santo Domingo in about 1 hour drive time.
Only SD has any cultural activities worth partaking of anyway!!!
We have museums, a Zoo, BOTANICAL GARDEN, national theater,sports teams,concerts, although "ALTOS DE CHAVON"
outdoor ampetheater is next to Casa DE CAMPO, and features top international stars.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would have thought that with the OP's budget they could rent in a gated community in Cabarete or between Sosua and Cabarete. That would be as safe as anywhere, beach lifestyle and the International School at Sosua nearby.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I also am partial to the north coast Sosua/Cabarete for the beaches and schools. Also the local hospital CMC has provided very good care in emergency situations over the past 4 years. We are also Canadian and the private health here is faster and more thorough than back home.

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
I could drive you around a bit and show you houses within a mostly Francophone community for Caribbean prices of less than $500 USD, monthly not $2000 a month.

I don't mean to sound elitist at all but I would rather improve my families lifestyle than find the cheapest place possible.

I don't want to overspend for sure but, all in all, I would rather live a little more fully than just save money.

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
I also am partial to the north coast Sosua/Cabarete for the beaches and schools. Also the local hospital CMC has provided very good care in emergency situations over the past 4 years. We are also Canadian and the private health here is faster and more thorough than back home.

That is good to know about the healthcare, thanks Matt. Are you happy with your decision to move to the DR? Where did you come from in Canada?

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I own a place in Sosua on a beach and we come here for 3 moths to escape winter. We are retired and moved to a small town outside of Toronto.

Russ Reynolds

Mar 27, 2015
Thanks Don....that doesn't look like high school to me but I may be wrong because my French is rusty...I'll have a closer look though. Also my daughter does not speak French but she'd probably learn quick - she is good with languages.

To those that asked, I live near Niagara Falls.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Russ.
Safe and Gated community are NOT necessarily the same thing. There have also been extensive threads about Gate communities etc on the north coast.
There are some but not many - two I can think of meet your list : 1) Sea Horse Ranch but probably too highly priced; 2) Perla Marina has good security, a decent beach and is near the ISS. In fact many children travel from Perla marina to ISS is a dedicated Bus.
There is a third possivlity which is Sosua Ocean village , safe, has lots of facilities and some Villas are there now for rental but a very rocky beach.
If you google Perla Marina it will give you an idea of what it is like and if you you do the same with the others you will begin to make comparisons.

Internet is fairly good on these communities using De Lancer. Power - I think all are on A circuits and water is pretty good too. .
Most of the better houses and Villas have thier own back up power and water if there is not aProject Generator for back up!
As to Sosua and its life. It has a great beach, resonable supermarkets and CMC which is great to have close by for those medica;emergencies!
Cabarete is totally different mainly for sporting types and the young but it too has great beach, super resturants and many actvities.

Have a look through Google!

Olly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks Don....that doesn't look like high school to me but I may be wrong because my French is rusty...I'll have a closer look though. Also my daughter does not speak French but she'd probably learn quick - she is good with languages.

Slowly I turned...

I would consider the north coast. Punta Cana would be boring.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Spanish Version

The site has a Spanish version, so you can check out your Spanish... ;)

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

You are right that school stops at 9th grade, it is a big problem for the French expats in LT. They have to send their kids to the Lycee of Santo Domingo with some sort of private boarding, but many choose to go back to France because of that.