Helping out- how much?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
A dear Dominican friend of mine from LT sent me a message today asking if I could help him out as he has no money for food. I sent him $100 since - I had it and He has never asked for anything in the 4 years that I have been gone - I know him to be a proud man who would not ask if things were not dire. So 2 questions - is the government there doing anything to help the people during the shutdown? And I see that the exchange rate is about 58 to one but how does that translate for cost of groceries? I know that the DR grows the bulk of its own food so I am assuming that food is pretty cheap. I have another friend there that I am a bit worried about - who may be food insecure and may not ask.. How are things, generally?

Reactions: ctrob
Sep 22, 2009
A dear Dominican friend of mine from LT sent me a message today asking if I could help him out as he has no money for food. I sent him $100 since - I had it and He has never asked for anything in the 4 years that I have been gone - I know him to be a proud man who would not ask if things were not dire. So 2 questions - is the government there doing anything to help the people during the shutdown? And I see that the exchange rate is about 58 to one but how does that translate for cost of groceries? I know that the DR grows the bulk of its own food so I am assuming that food is pretty cheap. I have another friend there that I am a bit worried about - who may be food insecure and may not ask.. How are things, generally?
Send more Annie!

Reactions: Big

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How old a person? Many people receive 5000 a month ( worth of food they can buy at certain stores and colmado) Others if they were working for a company and got suspended receive 8000 a month from the government. Others, like our teachers receive a partial wage from the government and we top it up for regular salary. This has been saving us around 300,000 per month which is a big help since we don't have any paying customers with schools closed. 100 dollars is 5800 pesos. How many is he feeding with that?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks, Bob.. He is an older single man - probably in his 50s- does not have any younger kids. He has a son who is probably in need as well. But that 5000 figure is just what I needed to hear - since I was trying to figure out how much the food costs were. LT depends completely on tourism so folks there are going to be on their backs for quite a while. I am probably not the only person that he has to ask! And I will send more in a couple of months. I hope that others in the USA are sending $$ if they can!

Sep 22, 2009
Thanks, Bob.. He is an older single man - probably in his 50s- does not have any younger kids. He has a son who is probably in need as well. But that 5000 figure is just what I needed to hear - since I was trying to figure out how much the food costs were. LT depends completely on tourism so folks there are going to be on their backs for quite a while. I am probably not the only person that he has to ask! And I will send more in a couple of months. I hope that others in the USA are sending $$ if they can!
Annie, for what it's worth, I spend about 5k per week on the normal "canasta" (not including pizza night or imported stuff) 2 kids and Mangu

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Annie, for what it's worth, I spend about 5k per week on the normal "canasta" (not including pizza night or imported stuff) 2 kids and Mangu
Yes - thanks! I was just shopping here and my groceries are usually $100 but for 2 weeks and only one or two people. But my friend is poor - definitely a rice and beans diet. I expect his greatest indulgence would be rum. So I will try to budget another $100 in about 3 months - assuming that he has other people he can ask...
My nephew is a scuba dive instructor in Puerto Rico - which, you can imagine, is not the best profession now - it was just getting on its feet after MARIA - really JUST getting on its feet - & that was 2017 - the Caribe Hilton is still not open! Then there were earthquakes, now COVID. Fortunately, he does get unemployment & some money from the US gov - but that will run out long before tourism comes back... and - "family first"...

Sep 22, 2009
Yes - thanks! I was just shopping here and my groceries are usually $100 but for 2 weeks and only one or two people. But my friend is poor - definitely a rice and beans diet. I expect his greatest indulgence would be rum. So I will try to budget another $100 in about 3 months - assuming that he has other people he can ask...
My nephew is a scuba dive instructor in Puerto Rico - which, you can imagine, is not the best profession now - it was just getting on its feet after MARIA - really JUST getting on its feet - & that was 2017 - the Caribe Hilton is still not open! Then there were earthquakes, now COVID. Fortunately, he does get unemployment & some money from the US gov - but that will run out long before tourism comes back... and - "family first"...
375ml Brugal at 200 to 250 pesos can take down the noon meal

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Dominican gov is not interested in helping the people
who gave them power. They are only interested in helping
themselves. I have heard several horror stories from people
who live in small towns when it comes to the government's
china virus "assistance' program. Its a mere pittance in most
cases and on top of that, they shut down all of the smaller stores
while the larger ones doubled their prices and grew their monopolies.
If your friend is an honest hard working person, if you have the
means, help him out.

Reactions: mountainannie

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Dominican gov is not interested in helping the people
who gave them power. They are only interested in helping
themselves. I have heard several horror stories from people
who live in small towns when it comes to the government's
china virus "assistance' program. Its a mere pittance in most
cases and on top of that, they shut down all of the smaller stores
while the larger ones doubled their prices and grew their monopolies.
If your friend is an honest hard working person, if you have the
means, help him out.
That hasn't happened here in Jarabacoa, as far as I know. I do know that some people that should have qualified based on age and income were not on the initial list ( perhaps because they didn't vote or voted for the wrong party) but there was some squawking and they were added. My mother in law, her sister, and my 75 years old neighbour have all been receiving 2500 pesos twice a month , not in cash but register in numerous colmados and grocery stores to buy groceries.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
That hasn't happened here in Jarabacoa, as far as I know. I do know that some people that should have qualified based on age and income were not on the initial list ( perhaps because they didn't vote or voted for the wrong party) but there was some squawking and they were added. My mother in law, her sister, and my 75 years old neighbour have all been receiving 2500 pesos twice a month , not in cash but register in numerous colmados and grocery stores to buy groceries.

Do small business owners (real small, like car rental or taxi) recieve any kind of assistance? Or are they out of luck? Ive sent a couple of unrequested $50's to people I work with and it seemed it was really appreciated.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Everyone situation is different.. If you can HELP others than do so ! Its great act of humanity .

If you cant just be KIND to others... its free & PRICELESS !

Reactions: mountainannie

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Are laid off domestic household workers getting angthing? What about laid off hotel workers? Contracted workers that aren't really hired as regular employees?

We have had our domestic workers working at about 1/3rd their normal schedule but pay full wages.

We have recieved 1 months rent on our small commercial rental in 5 months, she called us last month telling us she could pay that 1 month. We have foegiven all past rent and future during these times. Wishing her success.

We donated U.S. $500. cash to a group and they put together 60 food baskets distributed in some of the most remote areas of need. The Gov. Does not do much for them. Also a fair amount of vegy. seeds that I'm told are a big hit.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Do small business owners (real small, like car rental or taxi) recieve any kind of assistance? Or are they out of luck? Ive sent a couple of unrequested $50's to people I work with and it seemed it was really appreciated.
Taxis are operating, so are car rentals.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If workers have been suspended from their work for 90 days, and this has been registered with the government these workers received 8000 pesos per month. Workers must be registered with the social security.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
If workers have been suspended from their work for 90 days, and this has been registered with the government these workers received 8000 pesos per month. Workers must be registered with the social security.
I don't pay any SS into any Gov. program for our domestic workers. It's not required. Same may be true for contracted labor and individual self employed.
Are they getting assistance?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't pay any SS into any Gov. program for our domestic workers. It's not required. Same may be true for contracted labor and individual self employed.
Are they getting assistance?
Our workers regardless of whether they work at the schools, on the farm, or in a house or apartment cleaning are all employed by the school and are registered for SS and receive medical insurance.