Helping someone anonymously from the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

carly_fine

Sep 9, 2019
I've posted several times for a solution but haven't found one.

I'm trying to help a dear friend in Santo Domingo that's going through hard times due to the pandemic, and other general issues on the island. I want to help this person, but I don't want him to know. I also don't want my family to know.

From my end, I live in Florida, and any help would be completely anonymous.

The best way for me to help him is to buy "bonos" for groceries or to pay for any of his utilities. I've been researching (and posting here) and the only bonos available for purchase online are CCN bonos for supermercados Nacional.

With that said, I had initially purchased Vanilla Visa cards (the ones sold at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart) to transfer the balance to a Caribe Express or a bank, but that doesn't work. Then I tried using the Visa gift cards for purchasing CCN bonos. Unfortunately, these cannot be used for international online purchases. That didn't work.

I also considered purchasing a Visa prepaid debit card (also sold at major department stores) but these require activation for online purchases, which means I have to enter my SS# and personal information. For reasons beyond this post, I cannot enter my personal info, much less my social security.

What other options do I have? The ideal solution would be to use the Visa gift cards, but I have no idea how to transfer the balance to Caribe Express or Popular or any other bank.

Thank you in advance.

Btw, it's about USD $50 that I would be sending, just enough for him to purchase groceries.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I've posted several times for a solution but haven't found one.

I'm trying to help a dear friend in Santo Domingo that's going through hard times due to the pandemic, and other general issues on the island. I want to help this person, but I don't want him to know. I also don't want my family to know.

From my end, I live in Florida, and any help would be completely anonymous.

The best way for me to help him is to buy "bonos" for groceries or to pay for any of his utilities. I've been researching (and posting here) and the only bonos available for purchase online are CCN bonos for supermercados Nacional.

With that said, I had initially purchased Vanilla Visa cards (the ones sold at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart) to transfer the balance to a Caribe Express or a bank, but that doesn't work. Then I tried using the Visa gift cards for purchasing CCN bonos. Unfortunately, these cannot be used for international online purchases. That didn't work.

I also considered purchasing a Visa prepaid debit card (also sold at major department stores) but these require activation for online purchases, which means I have to enter my SS# and personal information. For reasons beyond this post, I cannot enter my personal info, much less my social security.

What other options do I have? The ideal solution would be to use the Visa gift cards, but I have no idea how to transfer the balance to Caribe Express or Popular or any other bank.

Thank you in advance.

Btw, it's about USD $50 that I would be sending, just enough for him to purchase groceries.

If he is close to SDEste or Zona Ciudad, or 27 de Febrero I could do it personally. Those are the only areas I know well in SD

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I was thinking about your idea and suggest you contact grocery chains who deliver like Nacional & LaSirena and see if you can use your credit card to pay for a food order to be delivered

Reactions: MariaRubia

korejdk_again

Mar 26, 2019
In case that you decide to bypass the anonymity part ( or pay for it if possible with a money order or cash ) many send a barrel from the States full of nonperishable groceries, apparently door delivery. Not too sure what would $50 get...

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
My advice is send someone you know in SD and have him/her take that person to shop and spend the money, that way you know its not BS. Just sayin ..

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
OP ha stated that enough info has been provided so thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.