Here is another idea???

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Texas Bill said:
Maybe you should look up some of the laws of the land as refers to retired members of the armed forces who elect to become citizens of another country...expecially those whose security clearances went beyound
Classified". But then what should one expect from someone as ignorant as you have demonstrated.
As to making you "puke", I hope you have the decency to clean it up afterward. But I seriously doubt you have even that small amount left in you after the demonstration of sarcasm you expressed.
BTW, have you ever made the attempt at learning "common decency" in your relationships with others???

Texas Bill

laws of the land? .......whose land?

"common decency"? ..............eh? i don't know about that, but i know i don't want us to have a relationship.

why do you think i am being sarcastic?
i really would like to hear of some examples from the reservoir of expat expertise.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No, no.. I have a father-in-law from Texas Bills's 'sphere'. The intent is good. Now, I do know 'good intent' is not always the right action. But let's not knock it until we know it. Pay some respect, you young ones...!

Let me give you one example of the 'reservoir of expat expertise'... simply the issue of making the power systems work... Power systems work in other countries.. poor countries. Power systems can work in the DR as well, if the 'reservoir of "other expertise"' is tapped. Some time ago, with big hooha, a 'card system' for utilizing electrical power was announced. I, little old me.. could tell them it would never ever work, because they took the idea from my country of birth. And the issues were not similar, and the infrastructure is not similar, and in our conditions here, the idea simply sucked. That made me puke...

Let's frame this thing differently. There is a whole lot of expertise out there, in the expat community, surely yes.. in other countries.. maybe more. The problem is that whoever wants to carry out an idea (and put money to the study as well), gets overwhelmed by the levels of corruption, endemic in this society. (and I am talking first hand, not second hand....). That is the problem, not the expats that want to do some good stuff, misguided or otherwise....

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
OK Boninche--

You want some examples of the "expertice" that I alluded to---
Here goes-- read it and weep!

Luperon-- Community of expats in that small town consists of no less than one retired CPA with 25 years experience; one Electrical Engineer, retired after 22 years of experience with a major power company in the USA; three Mechanical Engineers, one of whom worked for General Motors; at least one retired Civil Engineer who was a Corps O Engineers employee; there are several retired businessmen who were very successful in their individual endeavors; one retired Physician;Others really too numerous to mention. In Puerto Plata and environs ( this includes the entire North Coast) there are numerous retired managers from all walks of life and economic endeavor. Take Robert, for instance, he is the owner of this Board and is from England (I think) and not a citizen. Should I continue or is the above sufficient to convince you of the huge "resevoir of expertice" that I refered to in a previous post.

All in all, your posts make me wonder just what your "field of expertice" might be. I'm certain it isn't in the any of the "Humanity" disciplines as defined by Universities and other institutions of higher learning. Nor do I know, or care, what your National origins are. What I do wish you would do is to clean up your presentation of your ideas to this board. Your present manner leaves much to be desired and whether you are aware of it or not does nothing but lower your standing in the eyes of others. Just for what it's worth. Take the advise or no, I really don't care.

Texas Bill

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Chris said:
The intent is good.

yes....whatever i may say, that is correct.

Texas Bill said:
All in all, your posts make me wonder just what your "field of expertice" might be. I'm certain it isn't in the any of the "Humanity" disciplines as defined by Universities and other institutions of higher learning. Nor do I know, or care, what your National origins are. What I do wish you would do is to clean up your presentation of your ideas to this board. Your present manner leaves much to be desired and whether you are aware of it or not does nothing but lower your standing in the eyes of others. Just for what it's worth. Take the advise or no, I really don't care.

Texas Bill

....i could continue this.......it's tempting............but ............it's just not worth it.

i don't need any cooties.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Wheeeeeee----

Good idea boninche-----
BTW a good preventive for cooties is a good dosing with sulphur------
Course you smell to high heaven aafterward, but that's normal .

Good luck!!

Texas Bill

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Just a real life example:

While I lived in Ecuador, around 12 years back, a man was known all around the country and beyond by the name of "Toni el Suizo". I regret never to have had the privilege to have met the man face to face but his reputation was almost greater than life. Toni el Suizo (you guessed right, he is Swiss) taught the people in the campos how to build reliable bridges that wouldn't get washed away twice a year using free scrap material like old rails from the partly dismantled andeanean rail road. Besides his time and effort I have no reports that he had been spending money... at least that was not what he was know for. He just had or developed a real hands on knowledge and passed it on by demonstration to the people. I don't know if he's still active but I think you can find reading material on the Internet y searching for "Toni el Suizo".

This is the kind of help one can always do, that will always be well received in most any country and that will be welcomed even by the authorities over time.
You can't just expect that people will receive your criticism (as correct as it may be), but they will always honor your personal effort and your demonstration that it can be done. It may take more patience in some places or cases but it can be done and Toni has proven it.

... J-D.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
easygoin said:
Mr. Bill.. this is a great subject.living in the US and following this board.." I think that everyone can help in a certain way". I see on this board for the most part, problems in the country.... but for the most part no one does a lick to make things better, ...but they will tell you what should be done and are the biggest complainers of what's wrong. Please understand by no means is this referred to the givers.I understand which I believe ..if you were not born here, you ARE not entitled to vote. Maybe I'm wrong, but still that has nothing to do with people taking charge setting up... committees, fund-raising organizations, programs to help out the country. Believe me when you have the media on your side.... politicians will take notice. Realistically just think how many members are on this board alone. With so many very intelligent people on this board..." not me " how much nicer everyone can make the Dominican Republic as far as first off, education, crime, poverty level, garbage, electricity situation, roadways, that's just the start,... but it takes people that care to do this."SO IF EVERYONE PLAYS ON THE TEAM YOU HAVE A WINNER. Now think about how many others that would see change happening and join in ;) ;) , maybe be a snowball ? But until you try?.
Hi! Just a few words regarding how a community of both "estranjeros" and Dominicans in Costambar (just east of Puerto Plata) really have pulled together and made a difference. Starting with 15 poor Dominican children and a one room concrete block school that the community built years ago, now has expanded with more buildings since the Government took it over, to educate over 500 children from the immediate area.
One incredibly generous American gentleman has enabled several big shipping containers of vital hospital drugs and other supplies worth several $million US for Puerto Plata. A Canadian medical Dr. arranged for 400 hospital beds and other supplies to be flown in to the DR.
Two Canadians have spearheaded a program of help for desperately poor Haitians. The list goes on. The winter visitors to this sunny island don't just sit on the beach all day.... I'm sure this community isn't alone in doing their best to "make a difference". Canadian Bob.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
canadian bob said:
Hi! Just a few words regarding how a community of both "estranjeros" and Dominicans in Costambar (just east of Puerto Plata) really have pulled together and made a difference. Starting with 15 poor Dominican children and a one room concrete block school that the community built years ago, now has expanded with more buildings since the Government took it over, to educate over 500 children from the immediate area.
One incredibly generous American gentleman has enabled several big shipping containers of vital hospital drugs and other supplies worth several $million US for Puerto Plata. A Canadian medical Dr. arranged for 400 hospital beds and other supplies to be flown in to the DR.
Two Canadians have spearheaded a program of help for desperately poor Haitians. The list goes on. The winter visitors to this sunny island don't just sit on the beach all day.... I'm sure this community isn't alone in doing their best to "make a difference". Canadian Bob.

Too many Presidente's! Of course Costambar is WEST of P.Plata. Sorry about that... Canadian Bob.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Texas Bill, You're one great man!

I wish I were there to help realize any endeavors or implement any ideas you may have.
In spite of the stinking rot that afflicts my little nation,you're still trying to make it just that much better. It's impressive but, unfortunately, it's almost a quixotic quest. People will probably think you're nuts for wanting to do something without getting paid. Apparently the word altruism isn't found in the dominican lexicon. People don't seem to care about anyone but themselves and won't move a finger unless there's money involved.
When I went home to visit in '03, lots of rain had fallen and knocked down tree branches all over the street were my home is located. I asked the neighbors for help to clear it and was told this was the "ayuntamiento"s responsibility.
I had to pay some guys to get them out of the way. Some of these residents have cars and know they could not have driven through this obstacle yet they refused to do something that was crearly in their own interest. Amazing!!
I sincerely wish you success.

arcangel

Aug 3, 2005
Bochinche, you sound like a true "come platano" lots of talk no Decency. Pardon the Sarcasam but as a 24 year old dominican that is reading this posts in search of some cohesive unity, your comentaries seem spitefull and not constructive, this is exactly why, I blame past generations for not comming together towards a common goal.It is really a deterrent to my moral.

Please lets satay on the subject and leave the Bochinche for when we have our children on a secure path to Justice and Peace.