Hi

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Like your forum have been reading for a while. Have been visiting the dr for 8 years, the last 3 years app half the year. traveled most of latin america , then 4 years ago you can guess what happened? yes same old story, married a beautiful Dominican woman. Closing up shop up here hopefully by this fall. they the move to DR. My home base in the DR has been in the santiago area, many of my wife family is in countryside near Partido, spend time there, MN. DOC

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Like your forum have been reading for a while. Have been visiting the dr for 8 years, the last 3 years app half the year. traveled most of latin america , then 4 years ago you can guess what happened? yes same old story, married a beautiful Dominican woman. Closing up shop up here hopefully by this fall. they the move to DR. My home base in the DR has been in the santiago area, many of my wife family is in countryside near Partido, spend time there, MN. DOC

You need to look into DR residency. It starts in your home state. You need to get your documents together, including birth certificate, marriage certificate, copies of your passport, criminal background check(done by the state police) including fingerprints . You need to get these translated into Spanish and sent to the nearest Domincan Consulate. I would go on line see the requirements. Your best bet is to call the Domincan Consulate for the best way to proceed. You need to have all your paper work in place and with you when you move to the DR. You will then hire an attorney to complete the procedure for temporary residency. Good luck.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Congrats Doc... I have lived mostly full time in the DR since 2007 and still do not have my residency. Never has caused any type of problem. Also don't have a Dominican Drivers license but just use my Florida license when necessary (hardly ever) as I argue in Spanish everytime I'm stopped and don't give an inch to the policia. They most times don't want to deal with a crazy american that knows their tricks and let me go. I did have one policia who waited for me at an intersection of 27 de febrero and maximo gomez every day as he new my schedule. Came to my window each time with the biggest smile and best attitude and I couldn't help but laugh and give him his daily 50 pesos para comida.... I changed locations and lost track of mi amigo... miss that policia...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
LT Steve, your advise is much appreciated , I did the paperwork for my wedding for myself, with the help of the Dominican consulate in chicago, much brain damage, had the wedding in civil registry in Santiago, will need a attorney in DR for visa. My wife tells me , as she puts it i need no papers, no drivers license in DR?? I have a offer for part time work, I think I need a visa for that. thanks Doc

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Blueceo, thanks for the info, you and my wife are on the same page,i know other Americans that no papers of any kind, more advise is needed, the government paperwork can be COMPLICATED $$$, do i need visa for work, and drivers license? thanks, Doc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
License, residency needed for sure.
Legitimate work, same thing.

Times have changed on the residency front - all hinges your appetite for risk.
They do track people now... if you are coming / going frequently, you may pass as a tourist.

Best of luck

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
William, I think you are right, I need the papers. I. will be working, need drivers license. Does anyone know if having a Dominican wife helps or hinders the visa process? Thanks Doc

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
William, I think you are right, I need the papers. I. will be working, need drivers license. Does anyone know if having a Dominican wife helps or hinders the visa process? Thanks Doc

Welcome and I wonder if you will be living in the campo at Partido (west of Sabaneta) or Santiago?

In regard to the above in relation to marriage, scroll down to residency visa on the attached link and check out the other threads on residency in Legal section.

http://www.domrep.org/visa.html

As for the benefits of residency, this summary is a useful quide...

http://carrascoblade.com/beneficios-de-obtener-el-permiso-de-residencia-dominicana/

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Freqexpat , very good points, i see a dominican attorney in my immediate future any you can refer me to? any advice is welcome,,thanks Doc

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
ju10prd thanks for the welcome. The place of residence is still open, wife likes the city, i like the countryside, we both like the ocean. She has family near monte christi, is very interesting place, nice beach few people. Sooo i think in campo near ocean. After reading the info you sent me, i think having a dominican wife is a plus for immigration. I think dominican attorney is needed, any more advice is welcome. thanks, Doc

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
No matter what they tell you at the consulate or the embassy, it will not be what they require once you are here. Get 10 copies of everything---birth certificate, previous marriage license, divorce papers (if applicable), new marriage license, good conduct record, and a new twist, just to make things EVEN more fun: you have to have FBI fingerprints. All of it has to be apostilled and translated into Spanish. Plus proof of your medical license, if you intend to practice here. Stamped and franked and 27 8x10 color photographs with circles and arrows showing what each one is.

And BTW: welcome to DR-1. A gimlet eye, a tablespoon of salt, and a thick skin, and you'll love this site.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LT Steve, your advise is much appreciated , I did the paperwork for my wedding for myself, with the help of the Dominican consulate in chicago, much brain damage, had the wedding in civil registry in Santiago, will need a attorney in DR for visa. My wife tells me , as she puts it i need no papers, no drivers license in DR?? I have a offer for part time work, I think I need a visa for that. thanks Doc

I guess it depends if you want to be legal or not. If you are going to live in the DR full time and want to work legally you will need to apply for residency. You can avoid it and plead ignorance but if you can afford to do it you should. Yes it is a pain but I believe just to open up a bank account now, in your name in the DR you would need a cedula number. So you can listen to the people who don't or can't come up with the documents and or the money to complete the process. Your wife is right, SHE doesn't need documentation but you will. Do it while you have the chance. Once you move to the DR you won't be able to get the process completed without the documents from the States. Yes you will need a work visa but that also has a expiration. You are good to go without a license or a residency card until something happens and you need to present it. Good luck and good travels.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Meemselle thank you for info. you are right about the Dominican consulates,i talked to four of them to have the right papers for my wedding at the civil registry, {i looked into a wedding in the catholic church, impossible!!, I wanted to bring my wife to the usa for the wedding, you need a k1 visa, next to impossible,and takes up to a year}anyway i talked to 4 dominican consulates in the usa, they all told me different things, and different prices, the consulate in california wanted $135 dollar a page to translate and legalize, the one I used is in Chicago charged me a total of $150 dollars for all papers, the only way it worked was many months of phone calls and getting to know the Dominican lady at the consulate. the real problem was you have to put in writing the city and exact day of marriage, in the DR GOOD LUCK. I think I was lucky it worked . For my residence visa i will let a attorney do the work my new employer is paying for that , and is taking care of my medical licence. the paperwork i have seen so far is similar to other latin countries. any advice is welcome, Doc

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
LT Steve you are very right in my work , everything has to be legal, i will be living in the DR full time and working part time, my employer will cover most of the cost of the legal work , for the residency visa.and work visa, drivers licence. All that is required. I have a question I may bring down my toyota camry, it seems that toyota is the prefered car in the DR, The government states is possible? is it really possible?? Doc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
once you residency is granted, you have 6 months to import a car that you have owned for 1 year... duty reduced.
PLUS household effects - FREE

Your employer will find the lawyer.... you're good to go