Hilton Malecon Bar 2 for 1... rip off alert..

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
My "Motto" is,
"Life Is Too Short To Have Sex With Ugly Girls" even if they give you a good rate!
And I don't wear shoes anyway.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'll take an average-looking chica who is motivated any day over a dead fish who's nice to look at but won't perform.

Besides, average chicas like eating bizcocho, too. And since they don't get it often, some appreciate it when they do get it.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Value, people... Value...

Never confuse that with cheap....

I may start a school on this... it seems there is a waiting market

Are you talking about the purchasing habits of most Dominicans or expats? If it's a school for Dominicans I think your enrollment figures might come up short. Have you seen the quantity of third rate "Made in China" stuff in the market? It's all about price, not value.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm now a fan of "Pro Seco".
I also like "Botritis" wines.
Or a good vintage American "Ripple", or Dominican "Gitano", on special occasions! :dead::dead::dead::dead:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
The 1 litre carton of Castillo de Gredos red vino from Spain is excellent and only 175 pesos at SuperNacional.. though my father a wine connoisseur probably wouldnt be happy with the selection.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
box wines are an interesting phenomenon.... better preservation than bottles ( dtito for screw caps over corks) and more eco-friendly .
But they have such a bad image that the makers ahve virtually bagged any advertising $$.
They have 'tastings' at home like , like a TupperWare party.

Invariably, the wines are well accepted as long as the box is hidden.

The box wines stand up extremely well to their bottled cpmpetition in these tests.
Longer shelf life after opening and price usually carry the day for them.

I am a believer.......... Black Box is a brand that comes to mind:bandit: and Bandit

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'm now a fan of "Pro Seco".
I also like "Botritis" wines.
Or a good vintage American "Ripple", or Dominican "Gitano", on special occasions! :dead::dead::dead::dead:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

i drink lia. 10 dollars per bottle. makes me happy.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
box wines are an interesting phenomenon.... better preservation than bottles ( dtito for screw caps over corks) and more eco-friendly .
But they have such a bad image that the makers ahve virtually bagged any advertising $$.
They have 'tastings' at home like , like a TupperWare party.

Invariably, the wines are well accepted as long as the box is hidden.

The box wines stand up extremely well to their bottled cpmpetition in these tests.
Longer shelf life after opening and price usually carry the day for them.

I am a believer.......... Black Box is a brand that comes to mind:bandit: and Bandit

Hmmmmm for a "drink the same year wine", perhaps........

But lots of good wines need aging, buy them in 2014, drink them in 2020. So cardboard......

And besides I would need to redo my wine cellar, so no.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Malko" "Box Wines" have a plastic bag inside, that collapses as you enjoy the contents.
Often over several days or even weeks, depending.
As the wine comes out, and the bag collapses, no air is introduced to make contact with the contents, hence, the wine is "Preserved" better.
It doesn't "Oxidize".
A "Bottle" is good for ageing wines, for years sometimes, but once it's open you better drink it then, which may not be a Bad Thing!!!!
My sister and her husband have hundreds of bottles of "Good Wines", but for everyday consumption with dinner, etc., their "House Wine" comes out of a "BOX"!
I think that part of the reason they do is, they can't tell how much they drink from a "Box", like you can from a "Bottle"!!!!!!
:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou:knockedou

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps., I realize you already know all this, but others may not, that's all!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Just to be the deveils advocate.........
I use a wine pump to "pull out all the air" in an unfinished open wine bottle at home ( ok, I dont have the opportunity to use that often as my wine bottles all seem to leak when opened......).
At the restaurant, we use azote ( which is supposed to be inert ), pumped into the open house wine bottles..... that is if we dont finish them off!!!!

Plus a good wine needs to be oxygenated (?), so the waiter "carafes" the wine. ( ie, violently pours the wine from the bottle into an oddly shaped cristal carafe/jug ).

Also, nowadays the craze is "biodynamic" wine. These wines have a lot of "depot", cristals that deposit themselves on the bottom of the bottle.
That will clog up thoese wee things on the end of the plastic inside the cardboard......

Well u get the idea that I dont like thoese cubbies, as the winos call them back home.
Vinegar in a box, ok. Real wine, no.

But years ago I was against synthetic corks too, but now I accept them ( while gritting my teeth ). So some day I might come roumd to the idea. ( but dont hold ure breathe....).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK Malko, not all wine is to be kept and savored later. The big wine market is a 'drink now/soon' market.

I , too, have a pump but CCologne is right about box wines... study them up... your restaurant will like them.

Instead of decanting the whole bottle to 'freshen' the wine (actually artificially aging it - my body does that to me on some days - aging faster than normal) use an aerator... pours thru a small screen to add oxygen.

As to my decanting into a better bottle to fool and amuse my friends -- it was a La Tache bottle I used. Look it up.

My wine snob friend went for it hook,line &sinker....

Seriously, give the wine box stuff a try - it is beginning to win awards....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After a "Glass or Two" of ANYTHING you are drinking, it doesn't really pay to go "Top Shelf".
For that reason, I "save" the empty bottles of the "Good Stuff" to be filled later with the "Cheap Stuff"!
"Dominicans" have NO IDEA, even if you go right to the "Cheap Stuff"!
It's the "Label" that impresses them ,NOT the Content!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And it's NOT Just The "Dominicanos"!
ps., and it also "works" for Cigars!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
After a "Glass or Two" of ANYTHING you are drinking, it doesn't really pay to go "Top Shelf".
For that reason, I "save" the empty bottles of the "Good Stuff" to be filled later with the "Cheap Stuff"!
"Dominicans" have NO IDEA, even if you go right to the "Cheap Stuff"!
It's the "Label" that impresses them ,NOT the Content!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And it's NOT Just The "Dominicanos"!
ps., and it also "works" for Cigars!

This reminds of a time in Florida. I used to hang out in a Barber Shop there a lot. There was a lady that was there all the time. The Barber always had a bottle of whiskey he and some of us would drink. The lady said she hated alcohol. One day i came in with a bottle of single malt scotch that cost me about $30, but my friend who owned the liquor store did me a favor and put a sticker on it that said $699. So I passed it around and sure enough someone said wow it costs $700. Well the lady that hated alcohol got a glass and said it was unbelievable Scotch. In fact they were raving about this bottle for years.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had a sister in law once who said she didn't drink........ unless you have Tequila.

No, sorry - I don't

Invariably she could produce a half bottle from her purse...... a non-drinker !!??
I don't think soooo..........

CCCCCCCCColgne - spoken like a true drinker
You and I don't spit out at the wine tastings - thats why we like'em all!!!

No question --- fool 'em w/ the label/price tag
I have NEVER seen it fail

FRiends of mine were golfing in Georgia - private club - yes, that one in Augusta
drinking some supposedly are/fine bottle from the cellar and generally living it up... extolling the wine's virtues.

Until their member showed up - who happened to be the guy in charge of the cellar.

He spat it on the floor and threw out all the remaining inventory...... had gone bad.(should have a screw cap or a plastic bladder)

People are suckers for this stuff

May I return to my 'value' wines dissertation yet??

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Try a bottle of Sangiovese, great with Pizza.

Since it's becoming warmer now try a riesling, not a regular one it's too sweet, but a dry riesling. One of my favorites is Way Kuhl

For the people who like the bubbles try a Spanish Cava.

French wines are great, but if you want one glass that will have you feeling relaxed try a Pino Noir from Cali, or Oregon. They are made from younger vines that produce grapes with more sugar, which produce a higher alcohol content.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I used to give the kid at the gas station some cheap Dominican cigars from time to time, because he said his grandmother smoked cigars.
On day I put one in an "Arturo Fuentes" white metal tube.
I said to see how his "Abualita" liked it????
Next time I saw him he said his grandma said it was the best "Puro" she had EVER Smoked!!!!!!!!
Dominicans are really "Label Whores".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC