Hip Replacement Surgery

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If you have health insurance, why would you go to a third world country to get major surgery? While there are some really good doctors in DR, they don't practice hygiene like in developed countries. Even then, infections are rampant. Go to the US and get the surgery. Something goes wrong you can file a claim and get enough money to be taken care off. In DR, it gopes wrong, you are screwed!

How many times have you visited Cedimat (Plaza de Salud)?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Surgeries are not products that you purchase packaged in boxes and wrapped plastic at a store. Products are manufactured in a standard way and each individual item (except for machine errors) is pretty much the same. Product safety laws and testing typically ensures that what you buy is generally safe unless you misuse the product.

A results of a surgery can vary from one day to the next due to a whole host of factors and variables, none of which the patient can control. The list of these considerations is far too long to list here. While we would like to think of medicine providing a standardized product that can be duplicated indefinitely that is simply just not the case.

Before surgery you give your consent and sign wavers acknowledging that you understand there are no guarantees with respect to outcome. Mistakes and negative outcomes happen everywhere all the time. As with buying a car, the patient needs to consider their circumstances, their needs and their expectations and compare those with what is on offer at hospitals here in the DR and those in their home country where medical insurance coverage, patient's rights and the standard of care and oversight may be more robust.

You can choose to obtain a Lada or a Lexus. Both do the same thing but what you end up with is vastly different. Sometimes, the only visible difference is piece of mind and confidence in the doctor/hospital. With everything else being equal, lots of people see value in that piece of mind and given a choice, would lean in that direction.

The reality is that facilities, equipment and surgeon competency is not equal everywhere. It is not uncommon to hear of procedures done here needing to be redone elsewhere.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I said to my surgeon after the successful removal of my Melanoma -

Great results,
thanks to a good surgeon and a superb patient.

He agreed ............hahaha

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
As I said to my surgeon after the successful removal of my Melanoma -

Great results,
thanks to a good surgeon and a superb patient.

He agreed ............hahaha

I have had multiple surgeries here. I have no complaints about any of them.

(I have had others done in Miami at the VA clinic but the reason then was because it was free.)

My prostate cancer was treated by High Intensity Focused Ultrasound in CEDIMAT, the only place it is available in the Caribbean, and only available in a few hospitals in the U.S.

The cost here was about a third of what it costs in the states.

I also had Lasik surgery done to my eyes here in the DR over 30 years ago, at less than a third of what it cost in the states. No problems there either.

What is really interesting is the cost of medical items here compared with the states.

A syringe in the states is a few bucks, here they run a few pesos. I've got itemized lists of different procedures here and the U.S., and the costs of comparable items here are much, much cheaper..

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
I recently sent you a private message with information about a relatively new non surgical procedure which renders joint replacement surgery unnecessary. New cartilage grows in the joint and the cure appears permanent. I have personal knowledge of acquaintances of mine who had this non invasive procedure done and are symptom free 1-2 years after.
If you contact me I will show you where to research and get information.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
That HIFU is a new procedure

There are good robotic centers in RD

one of them
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2014/03/01/new-robotic-surgical-institute-opens-in-santiago/

He works at Lenox Hill in NYC

Indeed it is. Non invasive with a 5 yr. survival rate in the high 80's, IIRC.

Insurance doesn't cover it (I paid USD10K) because local insurance companies want the most bang for their buck (Radical prostatectomy) but it's non invasive and done as an outpatient procedure.

During the HIFU procedure, they can actually view the prostate in 3D on a large monitor and the cancer cells are clearly visible. Each time they zap the cancer with ultrasound, it disappears.

They do that until there is nothing visible any more. In my case, they took most of the interior tissue inside the prostate and left the shell. Sort of like taking the fruit out of a plum and leaving the skin.

Fascinating stuff.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I recently sent you a private message with information about a relatively new non surgical procedure which renders joint replacement surgery unnecessary. New cartilage grows in the joint and the cure appears permanent. I have personal knowledge of acquaintances of mine who had this non invasive procedure done and are symptom free 1-2 years after.
If you contact me I will show you where to research and get information.

You're referring to stem cell injection I believe?

Stem cells are already the next big thing in health care.That and autoimmunotherapy.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Not exactly back. Just testing the waters but thanks.
Everyone should go where they are most comfortable for any procedure.
Do doctors in the DR carry medical malpractice insurance? I have no idea.
Knowing the doctor has insurance gives me a little more comfort in choosing a location.
I go back and forth frequently from Houston, Texas to the DR.
Houston has some of the best doctors in the United States. An entire section of downtown is the medical center and about 15 minutes from my house.
I like to save money but when it comes to medical care I want the best possible.
I am lucky enough to have very good medical insurance in the US that is worthless in the DR.
Easy decision for me.
If I had zero insurance I would take a good look at the DR for surgery, especially with all the good recommendations posted here with positive results.