Hiring an 'Agent' or 'Representative'

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ya know....... all kidding aside.......... there is a need for a genuine concierge service in these parts.

Guide people thru the residency/cedula process.... Drivers licence...... housing choices..... you name it.

I fumbled through on my own but would have benefited from help here and there.
Actually, my builder was my guide.... hired for the house.... yak, yak, yak.

It could be a good business for a Dominican person or family......

I know, I know..... need to find a trustworthy one:eek:

I'm sure it can be done.

The girl who brought in my container took me to the Aduana to pay the car duty ..... then downtown get the matricula(brought her brother who used to work there)
Without her, all that would have been impossible for me..alone.

I know it can be done

WW

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ya know....... all kidding aside.......... there is a need for a genuine concierge service in these parts.

Guide people thru the residency/cedula process.... Drivers licence...... housing choices..... you name it.

I'm sure it can be done.

The girl who brought in my container took me to the Aduana to pay the car duty ..... then downtown get the matricula(brought her brother who used to work there)

I know it can be done

WW
Over the years there have been a few that tried that.

I think the problem is no one wants to pay what that very time and attention intensive service is worth.

I would think the minimum a "personal concierge" would charge is US$200 a day plus expenses. Think about how that would add up considering all the time required to do even simple things like registering a car or getting electric service.

Everybody wants something for nothing, and in some cases, something for less than nothing.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

I'm sure it can be done.

I know it can be done

WW

William, you are so right. Help here makes live for a newcomer that much easier. Simple things in the States or Europe like opening a bank account, getting a cell phone, renting a house is so much more difficult over here because everyone wants references (from locals, not expats) or guarantors for all of those things.

Trustworthy Dominicans can be found but you would have to be really lucky to find one on arrival. It took us a whole lot of months to find one we can reasonably trust.

We received help when we arrived for which we will alway's be thankful and which gave us a good start. A lot of expats assume that their Dominican friend will help them out of friendship. Friendship for a Dominican means he will help you and get his cut. For example, if he negotiates a price for you or f.e. a moto, he will get you a much better price then you would normally get and he will get an additional kickback from the seller. A lot of expats complain about this attitude as it is not culturally accepted in their home country while its perfectly normal here. And why should you complain as you saved a lot of money yourself but he got some too.

I have chosen mostly to do my business nowadays with the local population and have earned a lot of respect from them because of this.

I personally feel that a number of DR1 posters should concentrate more on helping possible newcomers by answering their questions in a helpful, truthful and informative way, and not by ridiculing them. I do not even comprehend them, as they do not seem to realize this attitude will scare newcomers, as well as tourists away...

We have all kind of expats here... the rich ones who come to enjoy life here, the ones who were fortunate to make good money here, the ones not so rich but still enjoying life here, the ones with the maybe impossible dream, the ones who try to be accepted by the "high society" here, the ones who just wants to mingle with other expats, the ones who want to live here as a citizen amongst the locals and the expats... who has a right to judge anyone on how he lives his life?

Just my two cents worth...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Both of the above posts speak to the point.

Yes, it is intensive work (maybe not $200/day for a Dominican) but there are ways to make extra money for the "concierge"
Kickbacks are a perfect example.
From a lawyer.. instead of sending one of his employees
From the car/moto transaction

I paid for VIP to get the drivers license (an ex-pat put me onto him)

All of these things need renewing in a few years
This is a job that won't stop.... new placas, new cedula/residency

It seems I can't stay away from SD.:eek:gre: I like it to visit-- but hate the formal process I get embroiled in.
I always have a guide.... ther's always one, small thing missing.

I had new fotos taken on the street one time !! Under an umbrella with a cardboard box around me!!
Ingenious !!

I'm still thinking
Why...??? I dunno.....it won't be my job:tired:

WW

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
For legal process of getting yourself a residence ID you need attorney, price is from 600-1000 usd per person. You need a birth cerificate, marriage certificate, and statement from your police (last one is optional), all in Spanish. Then you will do medical test in Santo Domingo, and Residence ID will come out three months later.
If attorney wants more money, or he states that he will give you residence ID in one month, then he wants to trick you.

To rent a property you need a real estate agent, in the particular area where you want to rent (we don't use MLS).

To learn Spanish, besides using Rosetta Stone software for PC, take a Dominican maid 24h, and talk to her.

Good advice but you have to tell the lady that she has to correct your mistakes, most Dominicans are too polite and don't correct you.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We have all kind of expats here... the rich ones who come to enjoy life here, the ones who were fortunate to make good money here, the ones not so rich but still enjoying life here, the ones with the maybe impossible dream, the ones who try to be accepted by the "high society" here, the ones who just wants to mingle with other expats, the ones who want to live here as a citizen amongst the locals and the expats...
You left out:
  • the ones "running away" from their problems at home
  • the ones who ~thought~ the DR is cheaper than it is and really can't afford it
  • the fugitives from justice and domestic problems
  • hopeless romantics
  • crooks
  • grims
  • beggars
  • thieves
  • whoremongers

Reactions: Africaida

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'll kick off your list. We have many more, these are off the top of my head.

Hillbilly / Chip / AZB : Santiago
Cobraboy: Jarabacoa
Ken2 / jrhartley / BushBaby / tflea / J D Sauser: Sosua - Cabarete - Puerto Plata
Chirimoya / Pib / TJMurray: Punta Cana
Me / AZB / Juanita / JDJones: Santo Domingo
rubio_higuey: Higuey

I would add Matilda to that list, she's helped so many people will all aspects of DR living, filing paperwork in SD, etc., and is an expert on life around Juan Dolio and its environs. Knows the laws. Speaks Spanish, even teaches it.

AE

Reactions: Matilda

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Local Knowledge

I would add Matilda to that list, she's helped so many people will all aspects of DR living, filing paperwork in SD, etc., and is an expert on life around Juan Dolio and its environs. Knows the laws. Speaks Spanish, even teaches it.

AE

I think it is especially important that the agent helping you has local knowledge. If it is in Juan Dolio someone who lives there. If Punta Cana it should be somebody who lives there. It is also important that the agent knows Spanish and English fluently.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Reality

You left out:......Answering questions from.........CB'S POST

the ones "running away" from their problems at home...Ya gotta admit it's a great place to run away to.

the ones who ~thought~ the DR is cheaper than it is and really can't afford it..........Hey by the time you figure that out...you will have TONS of incredible stories, a swollen liver, a few STD's, very little money left in the bank....gotten totally out of shape...increased your chances in the Melanoma dept....and as long as you never get Alzheimer's......you will forever have those precious "memories"...there is a price to be payed ....is it worth it.....I think so.....

the fugitives from justice and domestic problems....Again what better place to run to...and fit in....you'll at least get a Tan...

hopeless romantics...Love these guys...(and Gals)...contributing to the economy, while getting documentation for your future disability income.....what an adventure!...anyway it's a no brainer...you'll get it (the disability)...Binder & Binder...(really good disibility lawyers in the US)

crooks...Unfortunately these people are everywhere....hey they gotta eat too..

grims...these people mostly are heard from..(and seen) when they see a drunken Gringo or watch them OVERTIP...or slur out something in Spanish...that NO ONE UNDERSTANDS....this is what they turn into..(Grims)...once they realize they cannot afford to live here in paradise anymore....and the thought of returning back to their homeland and getting a JOB AGAIN absolutely horrifies them.

beggars.....Whatta ya gonna do?....look where you are....and yes these people have to eat too......I usually walk by these people and mumble under my breath..."Get a job ...you looooser"....and then throw a few centavos at the poor souls...depending on how full my belly is ....(or how hungover I am).....hey no one said life was gonna be easy....at the very least get atta my way..........

thieves...You will always have these people around......hey who's gonna keep the Tourists and Ex-Pats on thier toes?

whoremongers......A special bunch indeed....and so crucial to the economy, and the happiness of so many people.......without this bunch.....it would be kinda like having a Birthday cake....WITHOUT the frosting......(the cake being the DR....and the frosting being the Whoremongers).....GET IT....you know it and I know it.....no one likes to talk about it.....but it all fits....no pun....they go together....it has worked for too many years......I have to say it ...(old cliche).....if it ain't broke ...don't fix it....

:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucille

Janny

Aug 25, 2010
Thanks to all of you, I will be in touch with many of you to buy you that cocktail-of-choice and listen to the war stories.

Some of you seem determined that I must be tossed to the wolves and let the spat-out bits of bone and flesh gather themselves back together to learn my DR lessons.

And do you really think that US$200 is a realistic amount to pay a bilingual Dominican to 'be on our side'? Does the average bilingual dominican office worker, or resort employee, make $200 a day - US? Remember, I have already said that my 'officialness' will be in someone else's hands. Just looking for that gem of an honest guy or girl who wants to earn some money by helping me learn and saving me some. If they earn a kickback in the process, good for them.

As for getting off the plane and hoping to magically find my 'person' standing there waiting for me, um, I am on the board here, reading, posting, asking and certainly - learning!

Many of you have been very helpful and generous. I just hope you're all wearing name tags when I get there.

Reactions: Lucille and Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For legal process of getting yourself a residence ID you need attorney, price is from 600-1000 usd per person. You need a birth cerificate, marriage certificate, and statement from your police (last one is optional), all in Spanish. Then you will do medical test in Santo Domingo, and Residence ID will come out three months later.
If attorney wants more money, or he states that he will give you residence ID in one month, then he wants to trick you.

Don't forget.... stand in line.... argue.... bribe, cajole.... not easy in a foreign country.

A seeing eye/Spanish speaking person is a must IMO

WW

Last edited by a moderator:

Janny

Aug 25, 2010
So more realistically, if I were to hire this person (once I have found him/her), they would work for me as a spanish teacher/assistant/'tour' guide for about $200 every two weeks and that would be considered a fair and equitable salary. Is this correct?

And if needed, my other person may be a lawyer or 'other' familiar with all of the red tape needed for residency/citizenship.

Janny

Aug 25, 2010
Not correct. This is middle salary for Dominican, working in an office. I doubt that you will find quality concierge-guide-translator, and the concept that you need a guide is little strange to me. I think that you need local friends to show you around.
Besides all kind of foreign people here, there are many Dominicans that speaks English.

First you need to find out, what area suites you the most, and check other parts of forum where you have tons of information.

And then search for rental, according to your monthly budget.

Residency is not the most important in the story of DR.

:cool: OK. I don't want a concierge, I want an honest, bilingual person to help me not get ripped off during my 'initiation and hazing' stage. I use the word 'guide' lightly and not in the 'discovering the Americas' way. Like, if I wanted to go get a great fresh fish dinner - he might point me in the right direction! Or tell me how to get to the grocery store for the first time! Or show us the 'secret' cool parking spot next to his favorite beach!

I don't think the concept of having an assistant is that completely foreign, I've had PA's many times over the years, and we're talking about a country where having a maid is not only normal but expected.

I've hired lots of people and it's really not rocket science. Meet many, check lots of references, try a few, find 'the one'. Repeat as necessary. Be nice. Pay appropriately and trim the package with a few perks. Everybody laughs a lot because life is so freakin' funny.

About meeting new friends met here, finding accomodation, hiring an assistant, locating a rep or lawyer for legalities, shopping for real estate, car, etc. - well, I can multitask. Did I mention that I am a woman?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Take everything you know about hiring and throw it out the window, it's useless here.
I don't care who you are, what you have done, most of it's not relevant.
Take that from someone that has lived and has owned a business here for 12 years.
Very few on DR1 that live here have ever employed anyone, aside from a maid or gardner.

You are NOT going to find a Dominican before you get here via this board.
Maybe an expat, but expect to pay a lot more than US$400 monthly.

The concept of someone helping you adjust is fine. But this usually happens when you're ready to actually buy a house or become more permanent in a particular location.
You have already stated that you plan to travel all over etc, so whats the point of seeking an assistant at this stage?

I explained in a previous post your best route...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
you sound like my kind of woman!!!... just joking...

100$ a week for whom you are looking for is a more than decent salary, especially if you throw in some of the perks, like you mentioned. As you apparently know very well, you also get what you pay for.

I have hired and fired lots of people in my career, and yes, the process was as described by you. Here it is a little different. References are difficult (unless it is somebody working for an expat who is leaving the country f.e.) and the way of thinking here is so different it is difficult to judge a person for somebody new to the country. I just mean that you have to have lived here for a while to understand how people reason here.

The best advice I can give you is to try to find someone, by asking people in the area, by asking expats in the area, by interviewing them, etc... and by only offering them at most a 2-month contract. If possible I would hire them by the week for a short while, and then offer them a contract. If they work for you longer than 3 months you have to pay all kinds of damages when ending the contract, and unless you are sure you have found somebody really good, and suiting all your needs, you do not want to do that, I assume.

And above all, welcome to the island, and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask...

BelgianK

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
belgiank, how many people have you employed in the DR?

You can get people to sign as many 2 month contracts as you want, but most are worthless.
Unless it's VERY specific and in no way try's to circumvent the ridiculous labor laws here.
If they can prove in anyway that they have become subordinate to the employer. e.g. going to an office on a regular basis, fixed hours etc. Then they are classed as an employee.

You hire someone with every intention of keeping them. You have 89 days to evaluate them.
If they are a woman, make sure she's not pregnant or you will be liable.

Make sure you register them at the Ministry of Trabajo the day they start.
That way you have a clear timeline and they cannot say they have been with you
for 91 days after working with you for 88 days.

It goes on and on...

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/42156-overview-dominican-labor-law.html

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Damn... I had to come back to Canada to find out there are people moving to the DR that could benefit from my experience. Guess that's what happens when you completely tune out the tourists and expats. I didn't really get involved with this site until after I moved back to Toronto. Ironic I suppose.

Robert's absolutely right. You can't play with the labour laws if you're a foreigner. You can't get away with much as a foreigner. Owning and operating a business in the DR is 100 times more complicated than doing it back home. There aren't that many Dominicans that speak English well enough for what you want. You'll probably have to go with an ex-pat if you want to hit the ground running. From my experience, I wouldn't trust any Dominican with this task without getting to know them well in advance.

Robert gave you some awesome references of people that can help you in the different parts of the country. Here's what I'd do if I were in your situation.

Spend the first month getting a feel for the place. Stay in budget hotel (aprox $30/night). You can negotiate a better rate by the week or month. I know of a few decent ones in Santo Domingo. Spend the days wandering around and talking to everyone - this is easy even if you don't speak Spanish and they don't speak English. Meet up with the DR1 people and have some beers and dinner... they can help recommend people for specific tasks. All the legwork should be done yourself. You can take a new Dominican friend with you (once they've earned your trust) for the day to help you... buy them lunch and they'll be happy. You'll be learning Spanish as you go along. Take the carro publicos, the guaguas, and sit in front with the taxi driver. Keep talking. Keep learning. Keep watching. Remember that a lot of the communication between Dominicans is body language (I mean this literally), so watch closely. Ask every foreigner you come across what their story is... you'll be amazed how much you can learn from their mistakes.

Don't hire anyone to take you through the whole thing. And don't trust lawyers... they are the biggest thieves on the island. Only hire one with a rock solid recommendation from someone you've met personally here on DR1. And use them sparringly. That's my advice. If you're in the Toronto area, hit me up with a PM and I'd be happy to tell you my war stories over some beers. Good luck.