Hiring an 'Agent' or 'Representative'

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
200 usd that is 7200 pesos. That would be biweekly salary. (there are lower ones, this salary is for office clerk or secretary).
That would be for an experienced expat lending a hand, not a Dominican looking for a job.

An expat would better understand the cultural differences and therefore be better able to bridge the understanding gap by comparing and contrasting. It would take a Dominican who spoke perfect English with a great deal of experience out of the country to be able to explain differeences.

How many expereinced expats would work for RD$7200 biweekly? Not many, unless desperate.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I actually think this is a good idea, but I think you overcomplicate it if you look to actually employ someone, as has been pointed out here, the employment law in the DR favours the employee in all sorts of ways.

What you actually need is a relocation consultant, and you could pay for their services in exactly the same way you would pay a lawyer, doctor, dentist etc. You pay when you need them, and you pay for what they do. If you are not impressed you do not use them again.

The problem is, I do not think this service exists as such, it is indeed a gap in the market. Over the past few years I have provided parts of this service to friends, or people who have moved to where I live. For example, I would book hotels for them, arrange car hire. When they arrive to live here have spent an orientation day, showing them the area and the best restaurants etc. Have taken them to the local town and sorted out electric, cable, cell phones, internet. Shown them best supermarkets, given all useful phone numbers, introduced them to reliable motoconchos etc. I also often translate contracts, work as an interpreter etc. But only for friends.

Now I have never charged for this, occasionally I will get a free burger (!!). Basically I do it to help people out and it is no skin off my nose. I want people to like this country as much as I do, and I am proud to introduce them to it.

Having said that, this is a great business idea, which I think might take off, if you had a network of people around the country. They would then charge a daily rate. Anyway thanks to the OP as you have got me thinking now!!

Matilda

Reactions: miloskorac

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You're welcome

I love the idea..... I did it the old fashioned, just by friends and people I was dealing with already.....

Now , I have regular people who pick us up at the airport in our car..... help with complicated issues, etc

I never contemplated full time employment..... always a "fee for services" arrangement.

Trip to SD for matricula or whatever would be $50-$100 for the day, I expect.

Its worth considering...... don't forget the otherside of the deal..... introductions for car purchases, etc would be eligible for commissions, etc.

There are models for this. Not rocket science... just needs planning.

WW